“Terrible!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #40 of 60 Specialty Lodging in Durban
Durban, South Africa
“Terrible!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

We had a very bad time in Banana Backpackers, especially because everything was so dirty! We saw a lot of rats and cockroaches and everything smelled!

The lounge was okay and staff was friendly, free wifi was nice, the location is good. But they really have to upgrade their place, otherwise no one would stay longer then 1 night!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Reykjavik
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Ok the location is not so bad. That's about it for this place.
It's dirty, oh so dirty, and pricey for what you get. We moved to Happy Hippo which is a million times nicer. We stayed in a dorm. Sheets were dirty, beeds were dirty, room was dirty. The shared bathroom was horrible. There was a flowerpot with vomit in it in the lobby, and no-one seemed to mind.
Probably the worst place we stayed in in our 8 moths of RTW travel.

My reccomendation, if you are staying in Durban on a budget, just go straight to Happy hippo instead of Banana backpackers.

Travelled as a couple. Stayed in october 2012.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
NJ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

The staff that was nice and helpful. Even the common room was good with a TV and lots of channels. HOWEVER, the kitchen was infested with cockroaches. When my girlfriend opened the fridge there were roaches inside as well. The cabinets were full of them and the dishes were filthy as well as smelled horrible. The rooms had clean sheets but that was little consolation when roaches were crawling over your skin when you lay in bed. Our dorm room had broken glass windows and the fans didnt work. You cant park on the street and the neighborhood is dangerous though centrally located....do youself a favor and stay away...unless you love insects and lots of noise

Room Tip: Dont stay here, in any room
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
stockholm
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I came to this place late at evening, a woman travelling alone. They told me that tehy lost my reservation although I made it a month earlier back home and got a confirmation.
Then I had to stay in a dorm with ten others both men and women. I did not at all feel at ease with this. One good thing was that the day after a girl worked there and she let me borrow her computer wihtout paying,
It was poorly cleaned.
The only thing I liked was that I met two really interesting people staying there!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
The Hague, The Netherlands
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Cockroaches all over the place, in the kitchen (together with all their other insect-friends), the couch and the rooms. Also spotted some rats. Sheets were dirty, bathroom was not clean at all. The staff is just lazy and do not want to help you with anything.
The hostel is located in the Red-Light district in Durban, not the place to be! You cannot go out by yourself when it gets dark. Do'nt go here!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

I hated it here. We were booked at another hostel and they overbooked and sent us here. We arrived from an amazing few days in Cape Town to this disgusting, poorly cleaned disgusting excuse for a hostel. I'm not really a priss, and my boyfriend and I have travelled all over, to dingy places for $3 a night in Asia, to 5 star resorts... so we're cool to stay anywhere. I actually used the free wifi to book myself another room at a hotel double the prices of this one on the beach because I hated it so much. I felt like there were bugs in the bed, lighting was terrible. I wouldn't have touched the floor with my bare feet if you'd had paid me. People were running around screaming at 5:30am, and there was a dude sitting outside of the locked doors with a HUGE gun. SHADY area too... we were instructed to not walk around but to take a taxi everywhere, which I was happy to do to get the hell out of there. The worst. If this place had a rating of 0/5 I would give it.

WORST STAY EVER.

Room Tip: don't! Never go!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

Dirty, rats, poorly managed .... What more can we say? Area not very salubrious. Kitchen really dirty - were rats and in need of a thorough scrub, with disinfectant....No action was taken by the owners against guests indulging in prohibited substances. Very disappointing. Recommend you find other accommodation. They seem to think affordable accommodation means that it can be dirty and unkempt. Which is not necessarily the case! Will NOT be returning.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Banana Backpackers? Share your experiences!