“So beautiful!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Thobeka Backpackers

Thobeka Backpackers
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in KwaZulu-Natal
Thobeka Backpackers
3973 Kwangwanase | P.O. Box 350, 3973, South Africa   |
Munich, Germany
“So beautiful!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2011

What a nice accomodation! We stayed there for 2 nights and felt in this tidy backpacker "hostel" very welcome! The owners are very friendly and offer tours to the beach and mosambik "ponta de ouro" as well.
The doublebed huts are build in bush style, you have a swimming pool, kitchen and a very nice bar with music and games.

Try this very nice accommodation and you have to see the amazing kosi bay beach!

But remember, that's an accommodation off the other way!
Not like usual hostels in real houses.

Enjoy it!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

10 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2011

The place is really beautiful and relaxing. We were there in the off season so it was quite quiet. The dorm got quite hot at night. The kitchen was clean and well stocked and the place itself was incredible. The staff were really friendly (the owner even baked us muffins). Would definitely, definitely, definitely stay here again!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
South Africa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2011

My parents had booked a double room while me, my brother and my sister had booked a bunk bed each. Going to bed, I pulled down the mosquito net and lifted the duvet to tuck my legs under it. At this point, I saw a rat running towards the foot of the bed. As I jumped out of bed and removed the duvet completely, I found rat babies asleep at the foot of the bed. Me and my siblings were offered another room by the owner, but as the walls of that room were of the same kind as of the room with the bunk beds (= rats could enter), we felt too uncomfortable and slept in the car.

The next day, to our surprise, the owner of the backpackers' demanded that we pay for "camping on her premises". Given that we had found rats in bed the night before, making us so uncomfortable that we rather slept in the car (very unpleasant), we found this demand highly unreasonable. As we refused to pay, the owner reacted by patronizing my father (amongst other things, she called him "my boy"), and claimed that we were "people coming from the city expecting things to be like they are there".

If we should have expected finding rats in bed and then paying for sleeping three grown-ups in a car, then yes she is right. We did not expect that.

Since the accommodation is in the middle of the forest, 2 km from the closest proper road, we could safely have moved the car outside the backpacker premises - had we only known that she was intending to charge us.

Speaking of location, the photos in the backpacker booklet "Alternative Route" (which is distributed at BazBus stops) gives the impression that Thobeka Backpackers is located on or very close to the beach. This is misleading. One needs a car to get from the backpacker's to the beach gate (yes, it costs money to enter), and if one does not have a 4x4 one must then walk for 30-45 minutes to get to the actual beach.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family

Been to Thobeka Backpackers? Share your experiences!