“Reservation required.” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Phoenix, Arizona
“Reservation required.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013 via mobile

Visited first time tonight. Picked due to reviews on trip advisor.

When we arrived the host seemed disinterested with us after learning we were there without a reservation, although 2/3rds of the tables I could see were open/vacant. We thought about leaving then but the piano player greeted us with warmth and was friendly. The host advised us he would let us stay if we would take a table next to the piano player/front door. Remember more tables were empty than full and were still empty when we left.

The disinterested host could have made a better choice in tables. I do not know if he was trying for aloof but he made a poor first impression for the restaurant.

After seating us he said our waitress would be right with us. Ten minutes later someone brought us water. After 20 minutes our waitress arrived and I realized it was the woman who I had seen talking to people and putting ornaments on a xmas tree. She seemed very professional and skilled at her job when she remembered we were there.

They were out of the filet mignon, as a second choice I went with fish. My wife's and my salads and entree were very tasty, other than the bones I found in my fish.

The high lite was the live piano player. He was talented and friendly.

I think we may try eating here again I would like to hope we just caught them on a bad night. But, next time.... I am making a reservation.

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Vickienbill

Kingman, Arizona
“Anniversary Dinner - Very Good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

We have eaten here before and save it for "special occasions".
We had dinner here on our 40th anniversary and couldn't be happier.
The service was excellent and the food was cooked to order.
We did make reservations (highly recommended as it's hard to tell when they get busy) and seated immediately.
The inside is a little dated, but it doesn't detract from the nice "Sicilian" feel of the restaurant.
There was a fellow playing piano out front, very nice.
We WILL be back in the future.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars
“Unexpected surprise in a small city.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

We were traveling through Kingman and Mattina's had been recommended by our hotel. We arrived a little late on a Wednesday evening and the place was empty (always a bit of a concern). However, we decided to give it a try and were pleasantly surprised. The food was excellent. My partner and I split a tasty, "caesar-type" salad. He had one of the June specials, a beautiful, light pasta with eggplant, fresh tomatoes and mushrooms. I had the spinach and cheese ravioli which was yummy. The service and the atmosphere were excellent. The chef's wife spoke with us as we were leaving and was friendly and personable. Would definitely go back if we are in Kingman again.

• Visited June 2013
Arizona
“Superb Italian”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Walk in and smell the garlic and listen to the piano player in the entry area. Only open from 5-9pm, excellent ambiance, great wine list and people in the kitchen who really cared about what they were cooking. Fresh baked bread, wide selections of pasta, fish, chicken and steak and lobster. What a delightful find in the town of Kingman.

Visited April 2013
Albuquerque
“A Kingman Find”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Stopped in Kingman our our way to California. I read about this place through online reviews. The Owner greeted us, and we had a long conversation, very nice. Our wine was good, our mussels were very good, much better than those it the Napa Rose at the Grand California. You can read that review also!! Our salad was average, but the remainder of the meal was worth the visit. We will go back if we find our self's in Kingman again. The restaurant is located in the older downtown section and our walk after dinner was pleasant. A nice place to visit in a small town, good job.

• Visited March 2013