“Rte 66 chic” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 25 hotels in Kingman
Los Angeles
“Rte 66 chic”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

My husband and I spent last night at this motel. The owners were great from our first phone call to hold a room, to checking in. We had car problems 40 miles east of Needles, CA. I called to see if they had a room and told them we might be late. While checking in, they not only gave me directions to Ford, they also told us not to worry about a late checkout and then gave me tickets for free admission to Local museums if the repairs were to be all day. (Ford will shuttle you to a museum if the repairs are going to take too much time)

The room itself was clean, sound proof (couldn't hear passing freight trains), lot's of hot water. It was just what I hoped for in picking out a motel in Kingman. There is a lovely cactus garden on the grounds. I would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

54 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

The motel is a nice family run establishment that benefits from its route 66 location... although my girlfriend and I managed to miss that and just came to Kingman on the way out of Vegas.

The room was, as other reviewers have said, basic but we found it clean and everything worked just as well as other motels we experienced through 2 weeks in California and neighbouring states.

The motel excelled by going the extra mile when it turned out we had a slow puncture... firstly they pumped it up so we were able to drive to (one of the number of) garages and also recommended their 'local'.

All in all I would recommend this motel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013 via mobile

We arrived here in the dark, late after a long drive. We had mainly stayed in chain motels, this was our first independent. we pulled in, to be fair it did look like the kind of place u see in horror films in the movies. We booked in, it was cheap as hell. The family that ran it were very friendly. The room was very dated, brown, but clean, the restroom very clean and lots of towels. In all honesty me n my other female friend were a little spooked out, but our male friend just thought we were being stupid (which we were!) we woke up fine and alive in the morning, with the sun beaming through the windows we saw the place in a different light, and it didn't seem half as spooky. I am glad we stayed there, it looked how motels look in the movies, and we were on a road trip from the uk, so this was what we wanted. I'd defo stay there again if I went back. Very cheap, and comfy, as long as your not looking for luxury.

• Stayed May 2012
Chicago, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

I really wanted to like this motel. As part of our Route 66 trip, we stayed here. I love the old 50's mom and pop places, and I know what to expect. This one is in serious need of a good scrubbing and TLC.
The owner acted like we woke him up when he came out to greet us. (It was the middle of the day), so much so that I wouldn't have been surprised if he was in his boxers and white undershirt. We literally saw him get up off the couch in the adjoining owner's area from lying down.
The carpet was threadbare in patches and pretty stained, that gave the overall feel of the room a sense of unclean, although the actual room wasn't dirty. The bathroom was clean and there were enough towels. The pool really needs some care. The bottom was dirty, like it needs to be painted, and the tiles were coming off the walls around the pool.
The view though... That is the thing saving this from being 2 stars or less. It really is one of the best views in Kingman.
It just seems like the owners are tired of caring for the place. There is a way to restore and update rooms without losing that old time charm, if only they would take the time and do it this would be a great place to stay again.
I would pass on this place on future trips.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Bridgwater, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Not the best hotel we stayed at but ok, had a pool which was a bit run down but refreshing. part of route 66 trip, a good stop off.
Owner gave us some retro postcards which was good as i'm a postcard collecter

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Fairbanks, Alaska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

The Hill Top Motel is an older Route 66 motel, built in the early 1950s following the classic design - single level with a small fenced in pool. The rooms were decently sized and the price was about $45.00 per night. To be sure, I've stayed in nicer hotels for less along Route 66, but as one who loves those older 1950s era auto courts, I've learned to be a bit forgiving of the rooms so long as they aren't too musty or dusty. The owner seemed like a pretty nice guy and offered a great suggestion for a breakfast restaurant (The cafe out at the airport). Overall, my stay here was satisfactory.

Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Siam Reap Cambodia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

It's a shame the owner does not understand about cleaning. We should have looked before we paid. The room smelt of dry cleaning fluid, the carpet at the door was up and dirty looking. sheets and bed were ok. The bathroom was clean and had plenty of towles.
Pool looked dirty and was cold.
The views outside the room of the mountain was good and teh neon sgn look the part.
Would we stay again No andthere looks to lots of other motels nearby.
The owners were friendly but that does not make up for all the other bad points

Room Tip: Book elsewhere