“Overpriced, small portions, and poor service” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #50 of 120 Restaurants in Sandton
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Wangthai Sandton heralded as the most authentic Thai restaurant in South Africa. An imposing entrance belies the deceptively spacious interior, which leads to an outside balcony for al fresco dining overlooking the square. The menu offers much to tempt the palate with a profusion of dishes flavoured with lemon grass, sweet chilli and tamarind.
Chester, United Kingdom
“Overpriced, small portions, and poor service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Ate here with my colleague while in South Africa on business.
First thing, it was difficult to communcate with the waitress, I guess this is because our accents are so different.
When we ordered drinks, they did not serve beer on draft. I was brough a dirty glass with my beer, which was changed.
When the food eventually arrived, it was disappointing. We paid a price for this, and the portion sizes were very small. And there was nothing special about the food.
There are plenty of restaurants in Nelson Mandela Square that offer great food at a reasonable price. Therefore I could not recommend visiting this one at all.

Visited May 2013

Johannesburg
“Down the drain ad overpriced to boot”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

It's been a few years since I dined at Wangthai in Sandton. We were going to theatre at 20h30 so thought dinner at 18h45 wuld be perfect, with a short walk to the theatre thereafter. What a disappointment. Despite having a reservation we were dropped at a table and left for about 25 minutes before being offered a drink. The waiter was always M.I.A. We finally ordered and a while later hot plates arrived...not a good sign as the starter was cold Meang Kum. We kept the main meals and told them to cancel the starter. A woman who appeared to be the manager looked quite perpelexed; then returned to the table to argue with the waiter (in front of us!) Apparently he had not ordered the starters. We waited again for coffee and when the bill finally arrived the waiter was shocked that we didn't give him a fabulous tip - he's lucky he got anything at all. Perhaps the perplexed manager can remind him that a tip is for service received...The prices are very close to that of a fine dining establishment so someone really is trading on the location...This was a great disappointment and we will not return.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
“One of my favourites”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

This is my new favourite thai place, I love the food, and décor. The staff could be up skilled a bit but other than that...I would recommend the place.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Good Thai food and good service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

This is a great restaurant with good food and great service. Good variety of Thai dishes. Very fresh and quality food. The service is really good. We did not finish a dish and immediately the waiter wanted to know if something was wrong. We thought the dish was too dry. He immediately removed it from the bill. Will go back.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Always a great experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

I have been there many times and again the other night it was a fantastic dining experience. The staff are friendly, the service quick and efficient. As for the food, well, it is delicious, tasty, not too much, healthy and very nicely presented!!

I just love eating here and highly recommend this.

• Visited March 2013