“A great night out..” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #8 of 133 Restaurants in Sandton
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Winery, Delicatessen
Good for: Families with children, Entertaining clients, Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Doing business
Dining options: Dinner, Dessert, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Description: In the heart of Sandton, on Nelson Mandela Square, is the flagship Johannesburg branch of The Butcher Shop & Grill: an institution in South African dining. For over 20 years, our unmatchable steakhouse has been as much a part of SA culture as sunshine, red wine and red meat. You could say it is a landmark on the culinary landscape (and we're now in Cape Town and the Middle East). But The Butcher Shop is also about family - and the laughter, memories and conversations shared with special people over great food at a top steakhouse. Our family business, handed down over three generations, is famed for its quality produce, extensive menu, separate butchery & deli and 800 passionate staff globally. In Johannesburg we're able to seat up to 600 guests, plus 22 guests in our exclusive private dining room. In Cape Town, we can accommodate 250 guests, with capacity for an additional 40 guests in our private dining room.
Sandton, South Africa
“A great night out..”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

A group of us went out for dinner. This restaurant is well situated in Mandela Square. Service was good and the food well presented and delicious. We were seated early and this may have been the reason for the good service. The waitrons seamed to be on the go all the time as the restaurant filled up.

• Turkish first
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Good Meat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

The venue is convenient when in Nelson Mandela Square. I must state the service has improved over the last year and BW one can buy meat from the butcher now which seems to be priced just below Woolworths pricing. For Hans selected meat this is a great option. Currently the best cut is the Rib Eye when they get it in which is a bit rare now.

I wouldn't rate it as a family restaurant but a great business venue. The pricing has also levelled out so definitely worth a Steak with some really GREAT wines...

Johannesburg, South Africa
“Over rated”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

This is one of my least favorite restaurants.
My main gripe about this restaurant is their attitude.
For many years they would not allow children, I understand why you would want to keep an "adult' atmosphere, but I don't think I have ever been to a restaurant anywhere in the world that doesn't allow children?
Their lunch menu includes hamburgers (which from my experience a lot of diners that go to a "steak house" albeit an upmarket one would want to order) however they are not available at dinner. (Possibly they cannot charge enough for them?)
They have a lot of small print on the inside of the menu. Some of them are; (not in their wording)
You can't share meals/or you have to have a main course or something to that effect. I think their is also a minimum price per head. I know and understand that some restaurants have a surcharge for sharing a main course, however I have frequently not felt hungry enough to eat a main and wanted to share, or would prefer to have a starter each and then share a main, or for that matter have 2 or even 3 starters. I find it insulting to be told you are not "allowed" to share a main course.
I went there on one occasion some years back, and I was waiting for someone to join me. I ordered a glass of Cab Sav, and was brought a glass that was delicious, but only when the bill came I saw that it was a hefty R90 a glass (this was over 5 years ago). Nothing wrong with having quality wine by the glass, but then I think you should be obliged to show a menu with prices or ask which price range, but to just bring a glass at that kind of price I feel could lead to an embarrassing situation.
Over the years when I have been, I have not been overly impressed by the food. It is fairly expensive, but I think it caters a lot to tourists and business dinners.
Having said that I recently attended a friends birthday there and the food was delicious.
The wine list is extensive, and they have a good variety of meat, their is a nice vibe and it is in a great central location (Mandela Square) and it is nice to have a table overlooking the Square.
In my opinion they really have to re-look at some of the things I have mentioned, as it just irks me too much that I choose not to go there.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Washington Dc, District Of Columbia
“Great location and great wine cellar”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

Ideal location on Mandela Square.

The wine cellar and selection is extensive for a South African restaurant. Very knowledgeable about their wines and matching with our palate. I always prefer to make my own selection of meat directly at the butchery - which they then cook for you to your preference. Ambiance is only average in a normal steakhouse style.

Chorley, United Kingdom
“Meat Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Fantastic location Mandela square, would reccomend the rib eye steak, you always need to book a table

Visited December 2012