“Good value but inconvenient location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Faircity Quatermain Hotel

Save Saved
You added Faircity Quatermain Hotel to your Saves list
Faircity Quatermain Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   60 West Road South, Morningside, Sandton 2057, South Africa   |
Ranked #11 of 44 hotels in Sandton
London
“Good value but inconvenient location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012 via mobile

Pleasant, friendly hotel with good service from all staff. Stayed for 4 nights. Checked in early morning and checked out in afternoon - ideal for flights to UK. Food no more than ok - pretentions of French cuisine but.... Good location if looking to minimise traffic congestion but ultimately it's isolated and unless you are driving yourself, you feel stranded. Next time I will go for a more central Sandton hotel to be able to walk out of hotel to another restaurant, shop or bar.

• Stayed July 2012
Jane P, Front Office Manager at Faircity Quatermain Hotel, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Dear CSB London

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor. We truly appreciate your feedback regarding your stay with us at Faircity Quatermain! We are very pleased to hear that you received good service from all our staff members.
We are located in a suburb, which is not walking distance from Sandton Central, however we do offer a complimentary shuttle to Sandton Central as well as the Rivonia shopping precinct.

Warm regards,

88 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Shoham when I'm not traveling
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

Just finished doing a 2-day training course at the Faircity Quatermain, as well as sleeping there 3 nights. In a nutshell: wonderful service, tasty food & high quality accommodations.

The conference facilities are easy to use, acoustics in the room were fine, lighting adjustable, and A/C worked well. As for my accommodation, it was above average, with a little refrigerator in the room instead of a pricey mini-bar. A 1/2 liter of water was provided gratis. And most importantly, the maid took pride in her work ensuring the room was tidy & clean.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
FaircityQuatermain, Front Office Manager at Faircity Quatermain Hotel, responded to this review, March 19, 2012
Dear RichardCA,

Thank you so much for your kind review of our Hotel! I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, and we hope you will be back soon!

Kind regards,
Jane Patterson on behalf of Faircity Falstaff Management
lexington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012

I pretty much lived here for a couple of months and the staff got to know me really well so I am sure that helped. Absolutely nothing like what you would expect from an American hotel but it was very peaceful and relaxing. Great location. If you call the dining room for room service it takes forever but they are mostly willing to make you things that are not on the menu.

Room Tip: the rooms right off the dining patio are noisy if you are a late sleeper so try to get one in the ba...
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
FaircityQuatermain, Front Office Manager at Faircity Quatermain Hotel, responded to this review, March 8, 2012
Good day,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor! We are very pleased that you found our property to be peaceful and relaxing, and happy to hear that your spent so much time here.

I have noted your comments with regard to room service taking a while and will certainly mention them to the Owner and Chef of Sel et Poivre - Coco Fathi Reinarhz.

I trust that you enjoyed your stay with us, and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Kind regards,
Pretoria, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2012

Ever looking for a quite and tranquil place in a busy city! Quatermain Hotel is the only place I have seen proudly displaying a TRIPADVISOR board at the reception! Situated in Morningside, one of upmarket surburbs in Johannesburg, South Africa, in a beautiful street of West Road South. The street has beautiful properties, lined by trees! It is particularly inviting for fitness lovers- joggers and walkers, as it has a steep incline that should be a hit with fitness fanatics like myself!

The hotel is ideal for some looking for relaxation after a hectic day! Nevertheless I jogged past the hotel many times before, enjoying the incline and the scenery! My only entrance into the Hotel was at an ETHICS worlshop organized by SAMA for doctors last December!

Room Tip: Only attended South African Medical Associatiion workshop on ethics for doctors!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Good day,

Thank you for your kind review of our hotel! We are indeed very fortunate to be situated in such a lovely suburb. I am very pleased that after passing our hotel many times you were able to come in and experience it for yourself, we certainly hope to see you again soon!

Kind regards

Sandton
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2012

After booking the hotel via an online website and paying via CC for a superior double room, my booking was not recorded by the hotel.
Upon arriving at the hotel, and after sending them my confirmation email 4 times, the staff appeared not to know their email address and the email address on teh hotel card was not working, with all my emails bouncing back.
The lady on duty then took a full hour (1hr) to check us in (rather frustrating to say the least).

The following day, upon arriving back at the hotel at 9:30, we were locked out of our room. We then went back to the reception, and was told that we need to downgrade to an inferior room (for no apparent reason, and despite the fact that the hotel was empty and that we had paid in full in advance).
We stress that the hotel did not contact us once, to inform us that there was an issue, despite the hotel having our mobile and email addresses - this in isolation is poor form, as we were taken by surprise by the move.

The receptionists were not obliging, and did not move our luggage or use their discretion, but were instead rather unfriendly and refused to call the duty manager.
Furthermore, the move took over an hour to sort out.

The following day, upon speaking to the duty manager, he promised a solution and communication back to us - I am still awaiting this.

In addition, we are now in a tiny room, despite paying for an upgraded room, and no solution is in sight.

The hotels staff need major training, with respect to customer service, IT systems and general PR skills.

Furthermore, general service in the hotel is pathetic, with no butter being on the tables etc.
We will be hesitant to recommend this hotel to anyone.
The staff need to seriously pull up their socks.
This has been the most embarrassing and frustrating hotel stay ever.

Room Tip: Wait for staff to get training, before visiting this hotel.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Jane P, General Manager at Faircity Quatermain Hotel, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
On Behalf of Jaco Steyn, The General Manager of the Faircity Quatermain:

Dear Mr Dean G,

Please allow me to offer my sincerest apologies for how your parents' whole reservation and consequent room move turned out. As explained to you before, the booking you made was through a 3rd party website that only sends on the reservations to our reservations department, these mails never reached us due to technical difficulties. This resulted in us not having their reservation or room type by time of check in, but I do also apologise that your parents were expected to move rooms. I assure you that we take this matter very seriously and have dealt with all the parties involved. We have done a full refund to your credit card as a token of goodwill, thanks also for your mail reply to us as follows:

“Hi Jaco,
Thanks very much for dealing with the matter at hand.
I appreciate the apology and my folks appreciated the gesture of the gift basket.

Kind regards

Dean G”
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2011

My wife and I stayed in a suite for 2 nights at a great price (2nd-4th December 2011). The suite is what you would expect from a classy hotel very comfortable and huge in size. Off from the sitting room is a private patio which was great to sit in while you read and just chill. The breakfast was good and served in pleasant surroundings.When it was time to go home and after a 5 hour trip I realised I had left my watch in the room.I phoned the hotel and they found it in the safe I thought I had lost it but was glad to hear that it was found. Because of my experience with this hotel I would go back gladly.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
RhysQTM, Manager at Faircity Quatermain Hotel, responded to this review, December 6, 2011
Good Day Richard.

Thank you for the wonderful reply. We feel we have a fantastic team of staff and I am glad that this has shone through for you. We are very glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to seeing you again in the future and hope your next stay will be as enjoyable.

Kind regards and Warm wishes.

Faircity Quatermain Team
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2011

I've visited the hotel on 5 occasions this year, staying for a week at a time, and I have absolutely no complaints. The service has been exceptional at all times, and the staff are friendly and always willing to go the extra mile.

In addition to staying at the hotel, we made use of the conference facilities for the week, as well as buffet lunches and dinners. Conference facilities is what is expected of a conference facility, and the lunch & dinner menus were varied daily, and got you going up for seconds.

All in all, possibly the best hotel I've been too.

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to the pool
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
RhysQTM, Manager at Faircity Quatermain Hotel, responded to this review, December 4, 2011
Good day.

Thank you for your kind review. We are delighted that you have enjoyed your stay with us and that you are a return visitor. We hope to see you again in the future and that we will continue to provide excellent service to you. Wishing you the very best for the holidays and 2012

Warm regards and best wishes
Faircity Quatermain Team

Been to Faircity Quatermain Hotel? Share your experiences!