A boutique style hotel, away from the main tourist areas of Sandton and Nelson Mandela Square in Johannesburg, but still within easy reach of all the main shopping malls. Slightly awkward to get to, as whilst the address is shown as Rivonia Road, Johannesburg, the entrance is at the rear of the property, via a secondary road, which can be confusing to a first time visitor. Parking appears limited, but probably adequate for the number of rooms - unfortunately, there is no short-cut from there through to Reception (doors kept firmly locked, presumably for security reasons).
Pleasant staff, good reception, helpful and knowledgeable. Food in the restaurant really very good, nicely presented, but without being over the top "Master Chef" style, thank goodness..! The restaurant itself seems slightly awkwardly placed, as access to some of the accommodation is through the eating area, and also it's slightly disconcerting sometimes to see dungaree clad staff passing your table through to an exit carrying bags of charcoal or other items whilst you are enjoying your steak.....!! Something that needs looking at, I think.
Our bedroom had a King-sized bed, most comfortable, and the room was furnished in the style appropriate for such an establishment. The en-suite had a shower in the bath itself, which was a little disappointing (sometimes difficult for elderly folk in their late 70s, like us..), but all the usual complementary soaps and lotions were there. One slightly sour note was there were damaged tiles on the wall next to the loo, and two of the floor tiles were cracked - this needs dealing with. There is air-conditioning, but the hand controls were not fully effective, for some reason (fan speed not controllable, etc..), but having said that, it cooled the room effectively.
There is a nice enclosed courtyard, complete with swimming pool, surrounded in turn by a variety of trees, giving shade to those partaking of afternoon tea, or early evening drinks.. The nearby lounge and attached bar is very comfortably furnished, presided over by Hamilton, a most excellent, attentive, and knowledgeable barman.
We were in residence from 14th April for 4 nights, and whilst the Duty Manager (at least we assumed that's who he was, no identification offered) made the occasional round enquiring if "everything was alright", we didn't catch a glimpse of the General Manager once during our stay. In my view, it's essential that such a person should ALWAYS maintain a visible presence, interacting with guests, etc. Apart from being good PR, guests will feel comfortable that the boss has a hands on approach.
Would I stay there again..? Most definitely - it has a sort of cosy ambience, comfortable furnishings, nicely subdued (but not too subdued..!) lighting that goes with a sort of "middle class" gentility - and reasonably priced, too..! However, in order to make it perfect, a few little twitches need to be applied. Would I recommend it to others..? Yes, without doubt, but the younger set might find it a little staid, which to me is a blessing..!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Surrounded by lush gardens, this hotel offers air-conditioned rooms with a flat-screen satellite TV. It features an outdoor pool and a restaurant with a terrace. Free Wi-Fi is available on site. A minibar and an iron are in Faircity’s spacious rooms. Each comes with a private bathroom with a hairdryer. Wooden furniture and white linens are part of the modern classic décor. Breakfast is served daily in the restaurant. Room service, including breakfast, is also available. Guests can relax with a drink by the fireplace in the lounge or on the terrace. Sandton City is just 2 km from Faircity Falstaff Hotel. The O.R. Tambo International Airport is 27 km away, and a shuttle can be arranged on request. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, Despegar.com, Priceline, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Faircity Falstaff Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Falstaff Hotel Johannesburg
- Faircity Falstaff Hotel Sandton, Greater Johannesburg