“From a Global Traveller -- Favorite place in the world to stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mandolino Lodge & Restaurant

Mandolino Lodge & Restaurant
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sandton
Mandolino Lodge & Restaurant
You added Mandolino Lodge & Restaurant to your Saves list
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   31 Mulbarton Road | Lonehill, Sandton 2157, South Africa   |
Ranked #34 of 47 Hotels in Sandton
Moorpark
“From a Global Traveller -- Favorite place in the world to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2011

My former company had me commuting from Los Angeles to Sandton, SA on a monthly basis. Tried a number of hotels until I found my home away from home.

The rooms are very large and nicely maintained. The grounds make you feel like you are in a nature oasis and since it is South Africa, the grounds and the area are very safe and secure.

But that is not what makes this hotel great. It is the management and staff. You are not a guest at the hotel, it is more like staying at a luxury villa with dear friends and family.

If you are there over the weekend there are many sights and wonderful places to visit in the area. If you are visiting from the USA and can get to a Rugby match, I would recommend it.

I don't miss the 11,000 mile commute, but i definitely miss the Mandolino.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2010

I have stayed at Giulio's some fifteen times for a total of some 150 days. The other reviews are accurate. The rooms are high ceilinged thatched roofs. You will quickly get to know Giulio, Andre and the small staff by name, and more to the point they will quickly come to know you. Sitting sipping your cocktail in the plush sofas in front of a glowing fire, one of the dogs (Domino and Chicha) is likely to jump up and snuggle down beside you. But do not mistake the casual atmosphere for lack of care. The hotel is solidly walled with a gate manned 24 hours. I leave my door wide open overnight to hear the birds and I wander about in the dawn feeling completely safe. Whatever room you have opens to the courtyard and is only a few paces from the bar and restaurant, and lovely gardens. Giulio is the chef and takes huge pride in the food. There is no set menu, he offers what is best in the market, but always a good selection (sole, osso buccho, steak, lamb, calamari etc.). His is absolutely the best carpaccio I have had. But do not look for five star smoothness. In the summer, the aircon works but you can still be warm in the middle of the day, and in the winter you will need to learn how to fire up the LPG burner that is in every room. The fitness center is a set of weights in an open courtyard. But it has free wireless access from each room. No, this is not for those for whom five star is an aspiration or for whom the long-corridored luxury is still a thrill. It is the favorite hotel of people like me who have been to and stayed in five star all over the globe, and want to move beyond the anonymity, soullessness and eternal elevator trips. The fact that the cost is but a fraction of five star is just a bonus.
My business in South Africa is now done. I will almost certainly never return. As I type this I am in my usual huge room with a peaceful silence punctuated only by the birds. My wife is in the empty lounge having a "quiet time" with her bible. She has come here with me for this last visit specifically to thank Giulio, Andre, Othelia and Tri for giving me a home away from home. She had seen that when I am here my stress levels are way down. My colleagues who have also stayed here extensively share my views
I say nothing I do not mean, and am not given to extravagent compliments. But it is true that having stayed in many hundreds of hotels over a fifty year career, The Sandton Town and Country is the only one that will stay in my heart into retirement.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Horsham, Sussex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2010

Pick up your car at the airport, drive here and relax in an interesting old style farmhouse with just a few large comfortable rooms, attractive gardens and a really great restaurant.

Your hosts Andre and Julio offer friendly and informal hospitality and it's just a fine place to be.

Different and highly recommended.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Douglas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2009

Well I can only say that this is without doubt the most welcoming and friendly hotel in Africa. You arrive in front of 2 huge gates (very good security) which magnificantly open to a beautifully lit lodge, wich a helipad in the huge parking lot, not to mention the massive heated pool with gas lamps for the heat and light! This made my stay twice as good! All the detached rooms produced a very warm image of comfort for me. Highly recommended!!

Andrew Taylor

• Liked — The warm feeling
  • Disliked — I was served alchohol!
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Mumbai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2009

Never have I come across a hotel so warm, so accomodating and yet so professional in my entire life. As the large Iron gates open of Sandton Town and Country Hotel (very secure and safe)m you are greeted by lush greenery and a helipad! Then laid out a little African styled cottages which are spread across the large property and a pool waiting for you to jump in!
The rooms are actually cottages, with a hurge bedroom and study area in it and large tub to fit in 3! Lush and very premium.
Lots of light and very very cosy! Loved it!
The hotel has its own little bar and restaurant called Mandolin (named after the owner's father's love for the musical instrument), many madolin pictures adorn the walls and the meals... taste it to believe it, the fine young man who runs it - Gulio (who is now also a dear friend) is an excellent chef and whips up miracles and delights your senses.
Being so lush and green, you feel like you are in lap of luxury at the same time being with nature, with exotic birds streching their wings close to you as you sip the warm latte.
The service is prompt and excellent and very homely, I had people telling me "dont skip your breakfast my darling, you have a long way ahead of you" remined me of my mother!!! Will I go back!!! Goes without saying... to this best hotel on the planet... always!!!

• Liked — Everything... its Home to me now!!!
  • Disliked — NA
  • Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Mandolino Lodge & Restaurant? Share your experiences!