“Club noise - terrible!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Michelangelo Towers

You added Michelangelo Towers to your Saves list
Michelangelo Towers
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8 Maude Street | Sandton Central, Sandton 2146, South Africa   |
Ranked #14 of 47 Hotels in Sandton
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Club noise - terrible!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

This is a great apartment style hotel that reminds us of NYC - great gym and pool area and its safe since you can reach Mandela Square from lifts in the hotel. Unfortunately for the last 3 nights in a row(thurs,fri, sat) all we could hear is constant banging from a "club" downstairs - when we complained to reception nothing was done - it seems that the club is even in the same actual building as the hotel.

Please beware of this if you are thinking of staying here, its really not a good idea if you need decent nights sleep - constant "deep" bass throughout the night is really not good.

Room Tip: Try get a room high up and away from the club noise!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
MTRAPGRM, Guest Relations Manager at Michelangelo Towers, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback after your recent stay at the Michelangel Towers. However it is with regret to hear that the last three nights of your stay was not a pleasant and memorable one with us.

Kindly accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you had to endure as a result of the deep bass emanating from the club. The club is a new business venture that has recently opened up on the lower level of the mall and operates as a seperate entity from the hotel.

Please be advised that your comments are viewed in serious light and we will be adressing your concerns with the relevant parties concerned.

Thank you again for your feedback as it helps us, here at the Michelangelo Towers to improve our service and offer the best thereof.

Kind Regards

Cindy Paulse
Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
lagos
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

Visiting South Africa for the 1st time, I was scheduled to arrive at 6.20am local time. Most of the hotels I spoke with insisted I had to book in for the previous night for me to be able to check in so early in the day. However, I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to check in with no hassles, and no questions. The staff were very courteous and friendly. The only comma was the fact that the hot and cold water taps are separate- the oldstyle faucets takes some getting used to.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, Manager at Michelangelo Towers, responded to this review, June 22, 2012
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to rate us on Tripadvisor following your recent stay at the Michelangelo Towers.

We appreciate postive your feedback and have note your concerns about the faucets as it assists us with understanding our guest’s needs and thus allowing us to improve and maintain our service offerings and standards.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Michelangelo Towers in the not too distant future.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

I am currently staying the the Towers. Facilities wise, the hotel is entirely adequate. Service wise, the hotel is diabolical. Staff who deliver in room dining are grumpy and rude. They do not say thank you or smile when you sign the bill and hand it to them. One of them looked at the bill i'd signed and just rudely told me to write in my room number. Food gets delivered wrapped in cling-film or in aluminium foil (which is unattractive and, in the case of cling-film causes condensation to drip onto the hot food making it soggy), which staff then make no attempt to unwrap for you. In-room dining is depressing enough given the staid menu, without having to unwrap your food like it is leftovers from a previous meal. It is not possible to order breakfast by hanging a sign on the door the night before as in most hotels, you have to wake up 20 mins early to order it if you want it delivered to your room (and it is unlikely that they will get the order fully correct, although I have been surprised that they did get it right at least twice). Service in the restaurant is also not brilliant: it is terribly overstaffed and they just seem to stand around talking loudly to each other rather than focussing on customers. I have now given up with this and have bought milk and cereal from the supermarket in the mall next door. It took 3 calls to get the TV fixed. It took 2 calls to get a bottle opener. It took several days to get the mini bar stocked (and I have just gone to pour a gin and tonic for myself to find they have stocked it with empty bottles!! - I am still waiting for them to bring replacements, of course). On check out the last time I stayed here (for 2 weeks) it took them a very long time to work out my mini bar bill because at no stage during my stay did they ever take the trouble to restock it and thus work out what I had used. I went to sit by the roof top pool and went into the spa to ask for a towel, and was rudely told that as I wasn't a customer of the spa they couldn't give me a towel. One day this week I returned to my room to find that the doors to the balcony were open (not fully open, just ajar, but enough for someone to get in). When I drained the bath the water came up through the drain in the floor of the bathroom and flooded the bathroom slightly. Internet is woefully slow (I made a fuss and they installed a special line into my room which has made a difference). This is not just a South African thing - at the lovely Westcliff the internet is perfectly acceptable. There are probably many more little minor irritations caused by the simply abysmal quality of service but I can't remember them. I had no choice about staying here, but if you do I suggest you avoid at all costs.

Room Tip: Stay at the Westcliff.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
MTRAPGRM, Manager at Michelangelo Towers, responded to this review, May 29, 2012
Dear Trip Adviser User,

It is with regret that we received your review on tripadvisor for the Michelangelo Towers. We have emailed you to get your details so, that we can investigate your complaint and provide full feedback on the outcome of the investigation but have received no response yet.

It is also distressing to note that you are currently resident with us but have not responded to a letter sent you on the 21st May 2012 requesting a meeting to resolve your concerns about our service deficiencies raised. Not have you brought them to the attention of management both at property level or with your employer.

None the less kindly accept our sincere apologies for all the inconveniences you have had to endure as a result of certain product and service deficiencies you are experiencing during your stay with us.

I assure you that this is not the level of service we strive so hard towards offering our guests. We have addressed the issues with all the relevant departments and their respective managers and assure you that every effort is being made to address all your concerns.

Thank you again for your comments as it helps us, here at the Michelangelo Towers to improve our service and to offer the best thereof.

Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

Michelangelo On Nelson Mandela Sq Hotel is in an excellent location. Hotel is very lavish and the facilities are first rate. Little trivia fact I discovered that the previous owner was Muammar Gaddafi. The let down was that I have asked the hotel staff several times to take care of issues like (iron-board or shower that floods the bathroom) I had to ask for three times before my request was fulfilled. You'd expect more from a 5 stars hotel. Location is great, safe and many good restaurants on the Mandela square.

Room Tip: elevators are very quiet, therefore rooms close to the elevators are convenient
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
MTRAPGRM, Manager at Michelangelo Towers, responded to this review, April 19, 2012
Dear Trip Adviser User,

Kindly accept our sincere apologies for all the inconveniences you had to endure as a result of certain product and service deficiencies you experienced during your stay with us.

Southport, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

Stayed here for business and pleasure in January 2012 for the second time. The reception staff are courteous and efficient. The communal areas don't do justice to the rooms/ suites in the hotel. The rooms are well decorated and equipped. We had a very spacious room. Hall with toilet. Large dining area, very well equipped kitchen, comfortable lounge. fabulous sized bedroom, with dressing room and a great bathroom with roll top bath,separate shower and toilet cubicle. The furniture in the rooms is of a high quality. Clean crisp bedlinen, comfortable super king sized bed. Lovely soft white towels and robes in the bathroom. The room was well serviced whilst we were there. The breakfast taken in the restaurant downstairs was really good, and service was great (actually seemed like there were too many staff). The hotel is really handy for the shopping mall, and Sandton square which is a hive of activity at night with lots of lovely restaurants serving different types of food to suit every taste. You feel safe here also. We had no problems at all. It's also very handy for Sandton Station which also links you directly to the airport in no time. All in all, a great hotel in a great location.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your feedback as it assists us with understanding our guest’s needs and thus allowing us to improve and maintain our service offerings and standards.

We note that your stay with us was memorable and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Michelangelo Towers in the not too distant future.

NYC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012

Hotel is very nice, good location. The gym is decent (though a bit outdated). However, the service is terrible -- really bad (and I'm not someone who normally complains about that kind of thing). People are slow to respond to requests (for example, my request for them to fix the A.C. - I had to call 3 times to get someone up to my room), and when I told the cleaning person that the drain in my shower didn't work (such that my shower partially flooded the bathroom...twice), she asked me to call reception to tell them about it. Further, my wake up call was late, and when the front desk agrees to arrange car service for you

Room Tip: Another hotel.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
algarve
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

the apartments in this hotel a five star, great kitchen / lounge, 2 sumptuous double bedrooms, luxurious!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Andrien, Guest Relations Manager at Michelangelo Towers, responded to this review, February 15, 2012
Dear Guest,

We trust your stay with us was memorable and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Michelangelo Towers in the not too distant future.

Andrien Boshard
Guest Relations Manager

Been to Michelangelo Towers? Share your experiences!