“Beautiful hotel, awful service” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Michelangelo Towers

You added Michelangelo Towers to your Saves list
Michelangelo Towers
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8 Maude Street | Sandton Central, Sandton 2146, South Africa   |
Ranked #11 of 48 Hotels in Sandton
NYC
“Beautiful hotel, awful service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012

Hotel is very nice, good location. The gym is decent (though a bit outdated). However, the service is terrible -- really bad (and I'm not someone who normally complains about that kind of thing). People are slow to respond to requests (for example, my request for them to fix the A.C. - I had to call 3 times to get someone up to my room), and when I told the cleaning person that the drain in my shower didn't work (such that my shower partially flooded the bathroom...twice), she asked me to call reception to tell them about it. Further, my wake up call was late, and when the front desk agrees to arrange car service for you

Room Tip: Another hotel.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
algarve
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

the apartments in this hotel a five star, great kitchen / lounge, 2 sumptuous double bedrooms, luxurious!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Andrien, Guest Relations Manager at Michelangelo Towers, responded to this review, February 15, 2012
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to rate us on Tripadvisor following your recent stay at the Michelangelo Towers.

We appreciate your feedback as it assists us with understanding our guest’s needs and thus allowing us to improve and maintain our service offerings and standards.

We trust your stay with us was memorable and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Michelangelo Towers in the not too distant future.

Perth, Western Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

I recently stayed in Johannesburg in September 2011 at this hotel with friends expecting great things for the price we paid. I think we were all sadly misled. Personal butler? Never to be seen. We weren't even shown through our 3 bedroom apartment by ANYONE(!), as is customary for all the hotels I have frequented in the world. It was as if we were given our swipe cards and simply forgotten. Reception was inattentive and at best useless for even minor requests such as arranging a taxi for nearby shopping and dining. I will never stay here again and would advise all to avoid this place like the veritable plague. Customer service is obviously not in this hotel staffs vocabulary.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel. It is not of a standard to even rate. I will never go back.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Andrien, Guest Relations Manager at Michelangelo Towers, responded to this review, October 16, 2011
Dear Sir,

It is with regret that we received your review on tripadvisor for the Michelangelo Towers.

Kindly accept our sincere apologies for all the inconveniences you had to endure as a result of certain product deficiencies you experienced during your stay with us.

I assure you that this is not the level of service we strive so hard towards offering our guests. In order for us to address the issues with all the relevant departments and their respective managers, please kindly supply us with the last name the booking was made under as currently we are unable to pick up a reservation in September with your first name, Aaron.

Your assistance in this regard would be greatly appreciated in order for us to investigate and provide you with feedback.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2011

There is the Michelangelo Hotel and there is also the Michelango Towers. The towers are more like a Four Seasons...they are apartments that people live in and the others are full apartments rented out as hotel rooms, completely equipped with everything, including all the hotel amenties. I had a one bedroom, 1 1/2 bath apartment. The kitchen was fully equipped, 2 TV's, huge bathroom. There is room service and housekeeping. Irons/boards are not provided, so your things need to be sent out, which is not cheap or convenient. The gym is very, very nice..upstairs with indoor/outdoor pool, spa, etc. The restaurant is very good, with a nice selection on the menu. It is attached to the Sandton Shopping Mall. In a way, good location in that there are restaurants and the mall within easy access. But, it is located in a business, convention center area which is not good for walking around. It is not advised to be out walking around, and there is nothing close by to walk to....its all business, office building area. The restaurants in Nelson Mandela Square are okay, a bit too touristy though. Taxis to go anywhere are pretty expensive, for example, to go to the Apartheid Museum was about $100 roundtrip, and about 25 minutes each way. One night, checking with the concierge, a taxi to Melrose Arch was going to be 250ZAR...going outside and talking to the bellman, it was 120ZAR...huge difference. The staff at the bar and restaurant were very pleasant, however, the desk staff were a bit stuffy.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Andrien, Guest Relations Manager at Michelangelo Towers, responded to this review, May 23, 2011

Johannesburg, South Africa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2011

What a horrible, terrible, dirty, ugly, old, greedy hotel! And if you think that is bad - their service is worse!

*Uninformed reception - prepaid and then she wanted to charge me, I had to tell her how their system works and that they have online capability to take pre-payment
*Pre-requested Champagne in room, asked receptionist whether all was set when we checked in... she said "it should be" - needless to say it wasn't! I had to ask them to please bring it up... so much for the Valentines surprize element.
*I travel 69 nights away per annum and have yet to pay so much for so little, over R3,000 per night for a small, old, stinky hotel room - fit for anyone who simply doesn't know any better
* You also have to pay for Parking at Sandton city - you need change for it. I receive validated parking tickets where I shop, but not where I stay - crazy actually... then get told by another reception person upon checking out that they as staff has to pay as well - like that makes any difference to the situation.
* Be prepared to pay over R100 for a 1.5l of water
* I had to phone them again the day of check-out as they ended up charging me twice for accommodation, although this was discussed upon check-in

Get this, I received an automated survey via email 1 week later - I completed a feedback form by hand at the hotel!!!!! Not that I received any feedback from their useless staff and General manager, they ruined my Valentines & it cost me an arm and a leg for them to do so… I tried to leave a guestbook comment for them on their direct site, but I understand completely why they would deactivate the hyperlink to result in an error… all their guests would leave horrible messages for them – clever to leave only 2 comments from “happy” guests!

This hotel is a disgrace to their industry and a disgrace to South Africa!

I will continue to stay at the Radisson from now on when residing in a hotel group in SA - Legacy sucks on so many levels!

Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Andrien, Guest Relations Manager at Michelangelo Towers, responded to this review, February 25, 2011
Dear Ms. Melissa Storey,

It is with regret that we received your review on tripadvisor after you experience at one of our Legacy Properties. We have notified the General Manager at the Michelangelo Hotel.

Please note that your review was posted on the Michelangelo Towers which is a different property from where you stayed on the 13th of February 2011.

We appreciate your feedback and I can assure you that the issues will be dealt with.

zurich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2011

I stayed there for almost a week. The concierge staff are very friendly and helpful. The suite was excellent and spacious. Breakfast was good but buffet often lack items such as milk and bread. The outdoor swimming pool could be very nice, if cleaned and with appropriate towels; the ones i got after signing were very small and old. Swimming pool needs improvement as looked like nobody was taking care!
I would recommend this hotel, particularly if you are in Jbg for a weekend, you are in a nice shopping center with a great Indian restaurant.

Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Andrien, Guest Relations Manager at Michelangelo Towers, responded to this review, February 18, 2011

Paris
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2010

Hotel provided peace, tranquility and comfort after hectic few days on Safari. Grand modern design. I had good responses from reception, baggage handling and concierge. Only used hotel restaurant for very good breakfasts as there was good choice of restaurants in adjacent Sandton Mall. Suite room was great and had everything you need.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business

Guest Relations Manager

Been to Michelangelo Towers? Share your experiences!