“Great hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 44 hotels in Sandton
scotland
“Great hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Just returned home after spending 2 days at the sandton sun. Well kept hotel, helpful staff and clean rooms. Pool was small but well kept. Tred to use the spa facilities but it was full. Shopping mall attached on to hotel which led to Nelson Mandela square. Great places to eat.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Brett D, General Manager at Sandton Sun, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Sandton Sun and for taking the time to share your experience with other Travellers. We truly value your thoughts and will take great pleasure out of sharing this with our team.

If there was anything further, however small which could have enhanced your stay or would improve on your next stay please feel free to drop me a short e mail.

Thank you again for staying with us and please also consider our other properties within the Tsogo Sun Group.

255 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Greek first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

The Sandton sun hotel is in an excellent side of Johannesburg with lots of shopping and dining out. The hotel staffs are very attentive to guests needs and they usually go beyond the ordinary to make the experience memorable. I stayed in the hotel on a business trip and found it to be a pleasant experience.

One minor thing which is not really an issue is the bed turn down process. When the room is cleaned in the morning the cleaner always place a 'do not disturb' sign outside my door but another staff comes in the evening for bed turn down but proceed to leave a note that they were unable to come into my room because i had a 'do not disturb' sign on my door and advise that I call when I’m available. I think they could have avoided this double trip to my room by not placing the ‘do not disturb’ sign after cleaning in the morning!

Overall an excellent hotel and will recommend for Business and perhaps leisure as it is close to the Sandton sun & Nelson Mandela shopping mall.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Nottingham Road, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

My Wife and myself went away for our annual "childfree" getaway- The hotel was clean and very well situated but lacked any charm or personality - We had made a booking at their fine dining restaurant and even received a fax and a sms confirming the booking - on arrival we learnt that the restaurant was closed on that night and they had "quietly" downgraded our booking to a cheaper restaurant – All things considered a little disappointing but possibly the wrong choice of hotel for a romantic getaway

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Pretoria, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

Good day,

Stayed at the sandton sun for the weekend at the stay was excellent.
Hotel staff was friendly and the breakfast was delicious.
We stayed on the 18th floor and could get a view of sandton.

Will stay next time and will recommend to anyone for a break.

Regards

Ebie Razak

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Johannesburg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

The Sandton Sun is a wonderful hotel with great staff and an amazing location it is connected to the world class mall, Sandton City. I stayed here with my wife over her birthday and asked the reservations manager for something special in the room for her. We were greeted halfway through the day with the most amazing carrot cake and bottle of champagne by the friendliest and nicest porter that I have ever met. I believe in giving a fair review and there are a couple of places where the hotel could improve upon. I have stayed at this hotel 3 times, once in a standard room and the other two occasions I upgraded to a corner room which is lovely. The standard rooms definitely require some upgrading as they feel like they are the same rooms and furniture from when the hotel was originally built. The same especially applies to the bathroom. The corner room is amazing and feels very modern yet homey. I have stayed at the intercontinental Sandton Towers 5 times and the rooms are far superior, however so are the prices of the rooms and I'm not sure they are worth the extra money. The breakfast at the Sandton Sun is amazing and much better than the breakfast at the intercontinental. The staff at the Sandton Sun make up for any let downs you may have with a standard room.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

My daughter and I stayed at the Sandton Sun and were so impressed with the friendliness,efficiency and courteous manner of every staff member that we dealt with which is so important in the hospitality industry and credit must go to management to be able to implement and sustain this in a large hotel.

We loved our stay and would recommend this hotel to all our friends

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Dorking
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I stayed a week at the Sandton Sun, and my first impressions were that the bedroom I was allocated was tired. They may well be on an ongoing refurbishment process, but it hadn't reached floor 17. It was comfortable enough, but needed a bit of tlc, especially the bathroom - very dated. The public areas were ok - but there is a lot of building going on in Sandton at the moment so sitting on the terrace for breakfast was inevitably disrupted by building noise, so I tended to sit indoors. The breakfast selection was very good, and we ate lunch one day which was also very nice. We didn't eat dinner so I can't comment - the hotel is on the Sandton City Mall so a short indoor walk away there is a good selection of restaurants to choose from. The staff were excellent - invariably friendly and the service was good and delivered with a smile at all times. Be aware that the rooms all front onto a large atrium, and if there is noise from the bar and dining areas this will drift into the rooms. Free wifi was helpful, both in the rooms and public areas.

Room Tip: Ask for one that has been refurbished already.