“Another Corporate Style Hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Sandton Sun
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Cnr Fifth & Alice Lane, Sandton 2146, South Africa   |
Ranked #9 of 47 Hotels in Sandton
Nottingham Road, South Africa
“Another Corporate Style Hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

My Wife and myself went away for our annual "childfree" getaway- The hotel was clean and very well situated but lacked any charm or personality - We had made a booking at their fine dining restaurant and even received a fax and a sms confirming the booking - on arrival we learnt that the restaurant was closed on that night and they had "quietly" downgraded our booking to a cheaper restaurant – All things considered a little disappointing but possibly the wrong choice of hotel for a romantic getaway

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Brett D, General Manager at Sandton Sun, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Sandton Sun and for taking the time to share your experience with other Travellers. We truly value your thoughts and will take great pleasure out of sharing this with our team.

If there was anything further, however small which could have enhanced your stay or would improve on your next stay please feel free to drop me a short e mail.

Thank you again for staying with us and please also consider our other properties within the Tsogo Sun Group.

Resident Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
Pretoria, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

Good day,

Stayed at the sandton sun for the weekend at the stay was excellent.
Hotel staff was friendly and the breakfast was delicious.
We stayed on the 18th floor and could get a view of sandton.

Will stay next time and will recommend to anyone for a break.

Regards

Ebie Razak

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Johannesburg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

The Sandton Sun is a wonderful hotel with great staff and an amazing location it is connected to the world class mall, Sandton City. I stayed here with my wife over her birthday and asked the reservations manager for something special in the room for her. We were greeted halfway through the day with the most amazing carrot cake and bottle of champagne by the friendliest and nicest porter that I have ever met. I believe in giving a fair review and there are a couple of places where the hotel could improve upon. I have stayed at this hotel 3 times, once in a standard room and the other two occasions I upgraded to a corner room which is lovely. The standard rooms definitely require some upgrading as they feel like they are the same rooms and furniture from when the hotel was originally built. The same especially applies to the bathroom. The corner room is amazing and feels very modern yet homey. I have stayed at the intercontinental Sandton Towers 5 times and the rooms are far superior, however so are the prices of the rooms and I'm not sure they are worth the extra money. The breakfast at the Sandton Sun is amazing and much better than the breakfast at the intercontinental. The staff at the Sandton Sun make up for any let downs you may have with a standard room.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Durban, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

My daughter and I stayed at the Sandton Sun and were so impressed with the friendliness,efficiency and courteous manner of every staff member that we dealt with which is so important in the hospitality industry and credit must go to management to be able to implement and sustain this in a large hotel.

We loved our stay and would recommend this hotel to all our friends

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Dorking
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I stayed a week at the Sandton Sun, and my first impressions were that the bedroom I was allocated was tired. They may well be on an ongoing refurbishment process, but it hadn't reached floor 17. It was comfortable enough, but needed a bit of tlc, especially the bathroom - very dated. The public areas were ok - but there is a lot of building going on in Sandton at the moment so sitting on the terrace for breakfast was inevitably disrupted by building noise, so I tended to sit indoors. The breakfast selection was very good, and we ate lunch one day which was also very nice. We didn't eat dinner so I can't comment - the hotel is on the Sandton City Mall so a short indoor walk away there is a good selection of restaurants to choose from. The staff were excellent - invariably friendly and the service was good and delivered with a smile at all times. Be aware that the rooms all front onto a large atrium, and if there is noise from the bar and dining areas this will drift into the rooms. Free wifi was helpful, both in the rooms and public areas.

Room Tip: Ask for one that has been refurbished already.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Brett D, General Manager at Sandton Sun, responded to this review, April 9, 2013

Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Sandton Sun and for taking the time to share your experience with other travellers on Trip Advisor. Your views are of utmost importance to us and thank you for your comments about the hotel.

I am sorry you felt that the room you had appeared tired and I will ensure that we check all the rooms on this particular floor to make sure they are of exceptional standard. Please also accept my apologies that you were disturbed by noise whilst with us, We work closely with the neighbours to minimise any affect they may have on our guests but I regret that this has impacted on you.

Thank you again for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to Sandton Sun in the not too distant future.

Warmest Regards
Derby, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Having also stayed in the Sandton Intercontinental across the road I am amazed to hear from many locals that the Sun is supposedly the more up market of the two. The Intercontinental is leagues ahead of the Sun. My two week business trip could not have ended sooner. Here are some of the low-lights:
1. Nail clippings (not mine) on the carpet.
2. A previous guest's underwear in the drawers.
3. Damaged shower which flooded the bathroom if not angled back at the wall.
4. Poor, poor quality food. Do not use room service.
5. Poor cooked breakfasts. Even my fried eggs are better. Simply not worth waiting 20 minutes (!) for.
6. Waited over an hour for a bottle of wine to be delivered to my room on a quiet Sunday evening.
7. Charged for full cooked breakfast by the same people who are repeatedly told that I won't be having one.

In general, the hotel is drab and tired, the staff can be overly attentive (tip hunting) without actually wanting to be, the noise from the open atrium is appalling (what a bad idea) on party nights and the rooms are not overly comfortable. Oh and the gym is really not worthy of the name. i mean come on, it has 1, yes 1 weights machine. I may have been less critical if this were not a 5* hotel, but it is and really shouldn't be. I am so glad that my first trip here (5 weeks) was spent at the Intercontinental and not the Sun, otherwise I may have had to turn down future work in Joburg. Avoid this hotel.

Room Tip: Top floors (18-20) if you want anything close to peace and quiet.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Brett D, General Manager at Sandton Sun, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer

Thank you for staying with us at Sandton Sun and for taking the time to share your experience with us.

I am delighted you enjoyed the facilities we have at the Hotel as well as our easy access into Sandton City, Mandela Square and the Gautrain. I am however disappointed that you found our room furniture to be dated and this is certainly something we will consider when we refurbish the rooms in the near future.

Thank you again for staying with us and I hope you will consider returning to Sandton Sun in the not to distant future.

Warmest regards

Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

The location is excellent in the Sandton area of the city. The Hotel is connected to a large, modern shopping mall and a few minutes walk from the iconic Nelson Mandela Square with the famous statue and interesting cafes, restaurants and Theatre. A free shuttle links you to the Gautrain airport link, which is cheap, smart, fast and a break from Joburg traffic. The Hotel itself is enormous, efficiently run, excellent 'A la Carte' breakfast and nice spacious rooms. Excellent for business or leisure trips.

• Stayed November 2012

Resident Manager

Been to Sandton Sun? Share your experiences!