“Mild, Medium or Spicy...” 4 of 5 stars

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
The Raj Sandton
Michelangelo Towers, Sandton | Shop 17, Lower Retail Level, Sandton, South Africa
011 783 1521
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #60 of 133 Restaurants in Sandton
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Melbourne, Australia
“Mild, Medium or Spicy...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

a standard selection of mainly northern Indian dishes with a few surprizes, thanks to the chef's good use of a tandoor oven. Ample selection for the Veggie, ranging from exquisite paneer tikka to perfectly tender bobay aloo. The let-down was the spices. Having been offerend a selection of mild, medium or hot we asked for hot as we had a large contingent of Indian nationals in our group. The waiter was at pains dissuading us and insisted that medium was already quite unbearable. We yielded and were rewarded with food bordering the bland. The extensive wine list contained a few lovely drops and compensated nicely.

So - recommended but ask for spicy.

Visited September 2013

Delray Beach, Florida
“Indian food in Sandton”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

The Raj
After several disappointing Indian meals at Bukhara , at Nelson Mandela Square, I finally decided to try their competition , RAJ , at Nelson Mandela Square. I was warmly greeted by the manager who seated me promptly. He was knowledgeable on South African wines and made suggestions to pair with my spicy meals. Service was excellent and the decor of Raj was upscale and warm. The samosas as an appetizer were delicious even though I try to avoid fried foods. They were irresistible! The manager's recommendation of chicken korai was delightful and spicy. The Cape Point Sauvignon Blanc 2011 was a perfect match. I also ordered rogan josh, but it was quite disappointing; all I tasted was cinnamon and cloves. I will definitely return to Raj, but I will avoid the rogan josh and trust the manager's recommendation.