“Hip alternative in Sandton” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Maslow

You added The Maslow to your Saves list
The Maslow
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Corner Grayston Drive & Rivonia Road, Sandton 2031, South Africa   |
Offers & Announcements
Mother's Day Offer
Ranked #6 of 48 Hotels in Sandton
Certificate of Excellence 2014
The World
“Hip alternative in Sandton”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

The newest hotel in the Sun International chain. This is the old Southern Sun Grayston that has been refurbished into a more hip-modern version that will definitely attract the Sandton socialites. Rooms have clean sleek lines in-keeping with the hotel style and the main areas offer something for everyone from quite corners to bustling spots.
The Wayfarer Lounge is a nice touch for clients arriving early or checking out late when their room is not available, a place to work, have a coffee, read the paper etc.
Close to the hub of Sandton, probably the only draw back being it is just too far to walk in the evenings/night to restaurants etc.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Anita M, Customer Relations Executive at The Maslow, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear Valued Guest, thank you for your great review on trip advisor. Your comments are appreciated. Please note that we do have a shuttle bus that runs every 30 minutes from the hotel to Sandton City. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Maslow in the near future.

Customer Relations Executive

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Gordon's Bay, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

We held our 2 day convention at the Maslow Hotel and I rate it as most probably the best hotel with regards to facilities, quality and service!! The rooms are very comfortable and well equipped. The bar and dining room is very relaxing and well managed, whilst the pool area is well situated and top class!

Room Tip: Rooms are spacious and well equipped. Service excellent and facilities great. Expensive, but worth i...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Anita M, Customer Relations Executive at The Maslow, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear valued guest,

We are humbled by your great review on Trip Advisor. It is great to see that we managed to live up to your expectations. I have shared your review with the Maslow team and everyone is delighted to have played a part in your experience at the Maslow. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Spent the last two weeks of June 2013 in this excellent hotel
The rooms are modern and equipped with excellent multimedia facilities like a 42" LCD screen,
HDMI input and USB outlet for charging your phone and free WiFi internet.
The hotel offers a free shuttle service to the nearby Nelson Mandela Square and Sandton City.
The service was excellent and friendly from manager to reception to the drivers, although there is some room for improvement when it comes to the restaurant (bistro) staff which seemed to be a bit disorganized. Food in the bistro is excellent!

Room Tip: Like in most hotels, the rooms close to the elevators can be a bit noisy.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear valued guest,

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your day with us and that we meet your expectations. We thank you graciously for the positive feedback. You are always welcome back at the Maslow.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

This was my first time in Johannesburg and I am glad I contacted the hotel. The manager was quick to respond to my enquiry and accommodated me during my day layover. Excellent service from the staff from the reception to it help desk to restaurant and amazing SPA!
There were few hiccups however sorted quickly and professionally. The rooms are very nice and modern with everything you'd need. Great shower and bed!
I have had the best massage ever and once again the staff of the Spa from the manager I think Lihandra to the therapist Palesa were fantastic! If I visit Johannesburg again I will certainly stay at The Maslow!

Room Tip: If you want a good sleep during the day make sure they are not facing the junction.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Anita M, Customer Relations Manager at The Maslow, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear valued guest.

We are pleased to hear that we lived up to your expectactions. I have shared your comments with the Maslow team and they are excited about your review. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Maslow soon.

Customer Relations Manager
Cape Town, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013 via mobile

We are travelling with friends and chose this hotel because it offered a free shuttle service to and from the Gautrain but found it offered so much more.The service was excellent from reception to the concierge desk to maintenance and the drivers..really friendly and very helpful staff.The rooms are great but our aircon wasn't working,maintenance was there in less than 5 minutes and they moved us to another room.Their free shuttle also goes every half hour to Nelson Mandela Square (& Sandton City) Room tip-don't take a room that backs onto the lift shaft as it can be noisy!

• Stayed June 2013
Dear valued guest, we are pleased to hear that you had a great stay with us. Thank you for your valuable review. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Maslow in the near future.

Customer Relations Manager
Nairobi, Kenya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

Firstly I must say that the team at the concierge desk are superstars! Always on hand to assist with either luggage or information and ALWAYS with a genuine smile.
Reception- also not too bad except for the one time when a a client came to look for me and was told that I was not staying there when I had checked in the night before. They returned again in the morning - different shift and they were duly put through to my room.
The duty manager at reception- wednesday 29th May not friendly at all. Her staff member was serving a customer and there was another problem elsewhere and she literally ignored the fact that he was trying to serve a customer and engaged him in a converstaion that went on and on and clearly embarassed the staff member
Breakfast - lack of consistency signing docket somedays you sign a docket at your table sometimes you're stopped on your way out of breakfast room and given docket to sign... no consistency nor efficiency in service as it's slow. One day the hostess escorts you to your table seats and takes your order for tea or coffee and another day you're not taken to a table nor offered anything by the hotess that day-different one, a waiter enourages you to use the express buffet and on another day they barely say two words to you.
The coffee machines in the rooms- great but they need to be cleaned and serviced regularly. Maintenance Mr Phakati was superb one evening when my coffee maker wouldn't work. All was done with a smile and constant feedback on progress of solving the problem.
Management presence- I saw some loitering in the reception area, some simply don't greet and there's just something missing at the Malsow. It was not my first stay there and I still feel there's no warmth- in fact some of the team forget that they are there to serve or to be of service to customers. There's an air of arrogance which makes them unapproachable and seemingly misplaced in hotel.
Uniform- is great all around! no bright colours thank goodness! They look elegant like ladies and gentlemen. Almost as good as The Table Bay
Housekeeping & Maintenance staff: Congratulations!!! Don't know how they do it but they are the quietest team I have ever come across staying at a hotel. They normally make noise talking loudly in corridors etc but the team here is great and.... they greet you.

Room Tip: if you can ask for a luxury room as they are more spacious and they have both a bath and shower opti...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear valued guest, we thank you for your feedback and would like to let you know that we do take this feedback seriously. I have gone through the feedback with my team here at the Maslow and I can assure you that we have addressed your concerns. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Maslow.

Maputo, Mozambique
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

I stayed at this hotel as part of a very large business group. Upon booking the reservation, they required prepayment of the total amount. They charged the amount to my credit card a full five days before I arrived.

I was told I could cancel or make changes prior to my arrival. I needed to cut short my stay, advised the hotel within the proper amount of time and restated the fact when I arrived. I was told that the refund would be issued upon departure. It's been almost 30 days and I am still waiting for my refund! This is totally unacceptable. Given the amount of bank fraud that goes on in South Africa, I would not recommend using this hotel!

Go to the Africology Spa and stay someplace else!

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Anita M, Manager at The Maslow, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconveniences caused with regards to the delay in processing your refund.

We have re-looked at our refund policy and made some adjustments to expedite the process quicker.

We have also identified and rectified certain booking processes and challenges experienced.

I do hope you will give us a chance to redeem ourselves and show you our true Maslow Hospitality on your next visit – please contact me personally if I can assist with a reservation.

Yours sincerely,

Yash Jithoo I Hotel Manager

Been to The Maslow? Share your experiences!