“Overall, I love this hotel despite ...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers

You added InterContinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers to your Saves list
InterContinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Corner Maude & Fifth Streets, Sandton 2146, South Africa   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #7 of 47 Hotels in Sandton
Tunis, Tunisia
“Overall, I love this hotel despite ...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

I have stayed in this hotel several times since 2013. I enjoyed each moment I spent there, except one time when high security measures were put in place especially to protect some government members from SADC countries. However, thanks to the hotel management and staff for the courtesy notification about the ongoing event and for all efforts to reduce inconvenience during the said period; personally I would have preferred avoiding such ambiance. Overall, I love this hotel.

The hotel is well located. It offers free shuttle service to Gautrain’s Sandton station, which is even at walk distance. Its proximity through a covered walk bridge/corridor to Santdon City malls and to Mandela Square restaurants made my evenings, dinners and weekend shopping very agreeable.

The hotel offers also excellent amenities: rooms, restaurant, free wifi, business center, fitness center and bar. I did not use the swimming pool.

Rooms are large, clean and well equipped with all amenities ones may need during his stay for business or private purposes, including restful bed and excellent bathroom facilities.

At the restaurant, breakfast is great with a smiling team at your service. During busy time in the morning, even the manager is at your service and that is great. I did not try lunch and dinner options, so I can evaluate.

The business center is calm and functional. WiFi is free but the restriction to 3 devices is an issue for those like me who travel with 5 devices.

The bar is a pleasure in the evening (if you’re not resting), when some notes are being played by the piano.

The hotel receptionists are polite, responsive, cheerful, and professional. Special thanks to Ms. Pulane Mpotle who convinced me during my first stay to consider this hotel as my residence in Jo’burg, and to apply for the IHG Rewards Club. Since then, every time I go to Jo’burg, I stay at this hotel, where effectively Pulane and all other staff always welcome me and treat me as someone who comes back home. For sure, I’ll continue to stay in Intercontinental Sandton Towers.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
JosiahSandton, General Manager at InterContinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
I am delighted that you enjoy staying with us and thank you for the great feedback. I do trust that I will have the pleasure of personally welcoming you back on your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Columbus, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

I've staid here before it is in a good location you are able to walk over to the mall easily which is great for food options. There were a number of minor problems though that added up to a less than average experience. There were problems with some of the electrical outlets not working. The wifi has a 3 device cap which is great for one person but inconvenient for two. The breakfast buffet was OK and once when we placed an order service was prompt the other time it never showed up. The rooms are large and fairly new and the bathroom is nice but the heating cooling system seemed to be on its last leg and took a long time to change the room and was fairly noisy. The staff was generally pleasant but often when calling (for example room service) no one would pick up. I would avoid room service there are only a few options and the food was OK. There were problems with the elevators in terms of accessing the right floors some worked some didn't.

Room Tip: I would avoid the NorthWest side of the building they are doing construction on the lot across the s...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
I am disappointed to hear that you had a less than average stay with us but thank you for the feedback.
Knoxville, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

The hotel is quite large and the rooms are well appointed. However, the atmosphere here is somewhat tense. I went to the hotel bar in the main lobby to order food and a beverage in the evening by myself. My travel partner was not well. As I was going back up to my room, a man in a suit with two other nicely dressed men shouted, "White-ies are not cool!" I was horrified and quickly went upstairs. This is not the fault of the hotel but that shows the clientele who frequent the restaurant bar. I did not feel like eating alone again in this hotel. Every time I dried my hair the hair dryer would short and I'd wait 5 minutes for it to start again. We stayed here twice in 12 days because of layovers from a safari. The hair dryer failed in both rooms. Staff at the front desk and in the restaurant could be more welcoming and friendly. We were offered a bottle of water and clean towel at check in which was nice. The room service food was mediocre at best (I wasn't able to eat my grilled calamari salad) and we went to bed hungry. The bathtub had hair and dirt in it and I cleaned it myself before using it.

Room Tip: There is construction all around this hotel so in the day time sleeping is not possible.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the feedback and please accept my sincere apologies for the unnecessary verbal abuse you witnessed. I also apologise for the lack of service and attention to detail that you experienced with several departments. However, I do trust that your safari was wonderful and that you saw the Big Five and lots of other animals!
gaborone
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014 via mobile

Stay was great breakfast needs improvement.Rooms are very spacious and clean the service at the hotel is also 5 star.The location is also ideal as it is next to the mall . The pool area is also very nice if u have kids or would just like to relax the gym is also well equipped. I would definitely recommend this hotel and would make this my hotel if choice.

• Stayed February 2014
JosiahSandton, General Manager at InterContinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and I am pleased to advise that we now have a new delectable breakfast offering, which I trust you will enjoy on your next visit.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

I was there in 2005,so also in 2014 and will stay there any time I find myself in Jo'burg!
Reception at Intercontinental Hotel is superp,location very convenient because of proximity to the best malls in the city-just walking distance.Security in SA should guest's top priority and that is quarantined in that hotel.

• Stayed May 2014
Thank you for your great feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in 2014.
Fairfax, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

My wife and I had a pleasure staying at this hotel from June 5 – 7, 2014. It was a very rewarding experience. The Staff at the hotel was very friendly as well as helpful and they went out of their ways to make sure all our needs were met. I was also impressed with GM. He was the first General Manager of the hotel I met in my life time. Now I know where all this comes from. The helpfulness comes directly from the top. The staff also learned on howto make a guest comfortable in the hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
It was a pleasure to meet you and thank you for your great feedback. I do trust that I will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the not too distant future.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014 via mobile

Just spent 3 nights staying here on business. Hotel is very comfortable and all the staff can't do enough for you. I was on the 24th floor and the room had an amazing view and had everything I needed. It was very large as well. Had a breakfast and light lunch in the hotel and it was good. Plenty of choice. Ideally situated for all the restaurants and shops that Sandton and Mandela Square has to offer.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback and I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us!

Been to InterContinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers? Share your experiences!