“Great hotel but the Club Lounge very disappointing” 4 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers

You added InterContinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers to your Saves list
InterContinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Corner Maude & Fifth Streets, Sandton 2146, South Africa   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #7 of 47 Hotels in Sandton
Brisbane, Australia
“Great hotel but the Club Lounge very disappointing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

I am a IHG Gold Elite member and so use Intercontinental and Crowne Plaza hotels regularly. I usually pay the bit extra for a club floor with access to the club lounge and the extra services provided. Don't bother with the intercontinental Sandton Towers. The club floor rooms are on the top floors and so the view is very nice but the rooms are no different than other rooms in the hotel and the club lunge is very disappointing by other hotel standards. It is small, offers next to nothing except a happy hour where you might get served if you are lucky. There are no snacks, you have to ask for them. Breakfast on the ground level has much better choices than the club. I was surprised that on checking in no information was available but services offered to club floor guests. I can see why - there really isn't much they offer.

One of the staff, Jeffrey, was incredibly helpful and went out of his way to assist when a wheel came loose on my bag. He took the. Ab over to the Adjoining shopping mall to see if it could be fixed. I was very appreciative. Also they offered a late check out which was very much appreciated as well.

Check out became a bit of an ordeal as well. They were unable to reverse the 4000 Rand taken from the credit card on check in. We left with this issue still unresolved. This was all a bit disappointing because the hotel is gorgeous and the rooms beautiful. There is a skyway link to the adjoining shopping mall which is excellent. There are also some fantastic restaurants in the nearby Nelson Mandela Square.

Room Tip: Don't worry about paying for a club floor room. It really isn't worth it.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
JosiahSandton, General Manager at InterContinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
{Please accept my sincere apologies that your stay on our Club Floor didn't measure up to the necessary standards and we trust that on a return visit you will find a great difference in the food and service offerings. Also apologies that you had a challenge on check-out. However, I am delighted that one of the staff went the extra mile for you reglating to the broken wheel on your bag.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Cologne, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Although rooms must recently have been refurbished to modern layout, bathroom and amenities, the hotel must have seen better days. Pool is tiny, in the middle of the city, which means hardly any sunshine to be had on those five or six sunbeds if you feel like resting. Service at the pool is extremely slow, for towels or food and drinks, so go to the fitness area to help yourself. The lobby is stunning, which is usually a bad sign for me...however breakfast was excellent, good choice of products, excellent cappuccino! On the plus side wifi is available almost everywhere. The building is just a stone throw away from the shopping complex at Nelson Mandela Square,which means several good food options are right next door. The obvious choice is the Butcher's shop, which was truly fantastic. The hotel can organise a trip to the Lion's Park, which was well worth it. Construction work across the square together with slide windows which let in all the noise, means sleeping can be difficult. All in all not bad for a short stay.

Room Tip: Corner rooms boast a great view to both sides, but also have lots of noise. More silence can be had...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Dear wendywombatine,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am delighted to hear that you liked our hotel location, breakfast service and WIFI connection. We work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. I am sorry that our the quality of our rooms and services received from the pool and fitness center did not live up to your expectations. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience it may have caused you. I hope this incident will not deter from giving us another opportunity to serve you in the future. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Lera P
Case Manager
IHGCare
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

I decided to spend the weekend at the intercontinental sandton towers with my sister after the Xmas vacation. I'm a frequent guest here but I have not stayed here in a while. Am an ambassador gold card holder and Tsogo Sun Director frequent guest card holder. In my opinion the standards have dropped! There was dust under the bed which made me sneeze most of the night. I had called front desk to get house keeping to come and vacuum the room but it took 2 calls + a walk to reception before house keeping came to vacuum my room. Service in the restaurant unbearable... I can go on and on... Am not happy with the hotel at all. I hope this service improves.

• Stayed January 2014
JosiahSandton, General Manager at InterContinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Thank you for your constructive feedback and I ask that you please accept my sincere apologies regarding the lack of attention to detail and poor service standards that you experienced during your stay.
Nairobi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

I am a priority member and usually like using ICHG.
I stayed at this hotel for a weekend from cape town transiting to Nairobi with my family.
This facility is awesome in terms of location. The rooms are also excellent. The staff at the front desk were very friendly and helpful. Same to the porters and room service. They were spot on.

One of the things ICH are known for is their wonderful breakfast but this hotel is the odd one out. There was no variety at all. They could do better on this. I asked one of the staff and she confirmed several people have complained on the same but nothing has been done.
Otherwise if you are an ardent shopper and need to be at Sandton it could be a good hotel for you

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to supply us with feedback and that generally your stay with your family was good. However, we have noted your comments regarding breakfast and wish to advise that we have a new Head Chef and without any doubt our offering from the kitchen has improved greatly.
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

This is a very nice hotel. The rooms are spacious with a very good bed and other in-room spoiling facilities, like an espresso machine.
The breakfeast is very good, with various foods and drinks.
The hotel is connected directly to the mall with many shops, restaurants and coffee shops.
the staff is very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your positive feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back in 2014.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

This is a lovely hotel, don't get me wrong, and Joburg generally is very cheap for food and drinks (for us English), Room was massive and spotless so it really is a 5* hotel and you wont be disappointed. Only irritation was that the keycard never worked so I would have to go to reception every time and get a new card before I could enter the room. Room service was fine. Good for business trips. Pool area was very disappointing - just not particularly large or attractive, and pool service was non existant for the 5 days I was there. There are a number of top class hotels in this area (which is a business area). You wont be disappointed with this hotel, but I will try a different one next time

Room Tip: Ask for a city view on high floor.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
JosiahSandton, General Manager at InterContinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
Thank you for your constructive feedback and please accept my sincere apologies for the problems that you encourtered with your key card and for the poor service at the pool. These have both been addressed with the relevant HOD's to avoid a re-occurence. However, I do trust that I will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in 2014.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

Family stayed here for 3 nights. The hotel is really quite beautiful. We are Gold members and were upgraded to the Executive floor on the 27th floor. Room was more than adequate - Nice clean large bathroom and a view to die for. The staff is what makes this hotel an outstanding choice. From the staff at the lounge on the 27th floor to the concierge and the doormen, everyone was professional and nothing was too much trouble. This hotel really offers outstanding service! The only downside was the wifi but I could live with it.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. We have recently increased the internet bandwith and I trust that this will remedy the situation, however, I do apologise for the slow internet service that you experienced.

Been to InterContinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers? Share your experiences!