“Good business hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers

You added InterContinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers to your Saves list
InterContinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Corner Maude & Fifth Streets, Sandton 2146, South Africa   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #7 of 47 Hotels in Sandton
Bangalore
“Good business hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

I have got very good service in this hotel. Very well connected to the Gautrain service.

Also to the main business hubs.

Service is very good.

Prompt service and very good ambience.

Its connected to the Nelson Mandela Square and you have almost everything you need in there.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
JosiahSandton, General Manager at InterContinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
I'm delighted that you had a good stay and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Towers again. With kind regards, Josiah Montsho, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

The hard product, the hotel itself, is good. The public areas are a little dated but the rooms are recently refurbished, large, very luxurious and the architecture is impressive.

My issue is with the service. Knowing I was going to arrive early in the morning on an overnight flight, I booked a room from the night before so that I could get straight into my room - and that is where the problems began. I made the mistake of not calling the hotel with my arrival time - so when I went to check in, my booking had been cancelled. It was eventually reinstated with a promise that a room would be ready "within 45 minutes". Two hours later, and with a lot of chasing, I was finally given a room, but no room key. I was then trapped in my hotel room for an hour waiting for a key "because the key coding machine was broken". When I checked out, I was charged a no show fee - because I hadn't arrived as expected. My issue here - the hotel freely admitted that it had resold my room for that night - and I wasn't able to access a room immediately on arrival - but was expected to pay anyway. The way this whole issue was handled was frustrating, and the attitude very "you made the mistake, this is your problem". It took two managers (and a request to see the general manager) to eventually get this sorted. Frankly, the front desk staff really couldn't care less.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
JosiahSandton, General Manager at InterContinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Thank you for bringing the service shortfalls that you experienced during your recent stay to my attention and please accept my sincere apologies, However, I do trust that I will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Towers again in the not too distant future and in the meantime, I send best wishes, Josiah Montsho, General Manager
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

The InterConti was great for a quick stay in Joburg. The room I had on the 12th floor was very large, the bed was supremely comfortable with crisp high quality sheets. As a business traveler, I appreciate ample power outlets (and ones that fit ZA, US, UK and EU plugs!) at the in room desk. Bathroom was large, great shower pressure. Ample hangers in the closet. The decor is neutral and crisp if a little dated - lots of heavy brown/ black marble.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
As a business traveller, it's good to hear that we catered for all your needs during your short stay at the Towers. With best wishes, Josiah Montsho, General Manager
melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

First impression upon arrival was WOW, look up and up and all you see is 28 floors but the design is what blows you away, Glass elevators take you up the floors enabling you to take in all the different elements of this hotel. We stayed in a Executive Club rooms which had aprivate check in area and once again the staff if Intercontinental did everything in their power to make our stay as enjoyable as possible.
Quick and efficient check in/out.
The room we had at first was amazing but came with a leaking toilet. management were quick to rectify and had us moved into another room and could not apologise enough. Even comped us dinner and drinks for the embarrassing issue.

The executive club rooms are great value, very spacious rooms, great flat screen tv, in excess of 70 channels, beautiful views of Johannesburg, free bottle of wine, turn down service,2 private lounges to relax in, complimentary breakfast in either the lounges or for a better choice go down to the Atrium restaurant on the ground floor, its still complimentary. In the afternoon free selection of drinks and nibbles are provided. Wi-Fi is provided in room, complimentary

Amazing pool and gym area. This hotel is in a great location, not far from the airport but far enough and close enough to the CBD.

The hotel is linked via a skywalk to Sandton City shopping centre which has an array of shops from hi end to the standard shops. Its a bit of a hike finding your way to the ectual shops the first time but once you get there its easier to find your way back. Good place to shop also.

Apparently the skywalk also takes you into a dining area full of various resturants but we did not find it, our driver told us as we were taken to the hotel.

The management of this hotel ensure all your needs are met and we were thankful for their quick actions to rectify our problem on the first night.

Yes we will return to this Hotel if we can get back to South Africa one day.

While we stayed here we went to Soweto and toured Mandela's house and the Museum showing the history of the uprising. Something I hadn't thought about much but pleased I learnt more.

We also went to a shooting range, great day out, we were taken to Gutheries shooting range and had a terrific time. We also used Josh's tours/transport, apparently they do all of the work for the Intercontinental in Johannesburg, as we were told it's not safe to catch public transport etc. The transport was like new, very pleasant driver pointing out facts etc as we were being driven around so highly recommend Josh's.

Room Tip: If its in your budget try the Club floor rooms. We started on 28th floor and finished on the 27th fl...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
JosiahSandton, General Manager at InterContinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Thank you for your concise and positive feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to South Africa and more specifically to the Club Floor at the hotel. With best wishes for 2013, Josiah Montsho, General Manager
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

I needed to rest and shop a bit in a quiet and secure environment after some extremely busy weeks. The suite I was allocated was not only spacious but relaxing with the view of north of Johannesburg which at night is captivating.
The hotel is linked to the mall and right opposite to Mandela Square with a variety of restaurants. The lounges are well stocked and are ideal for rendez-vous with fellow guest.
Service is great and with room amenities nicely placed.

Will not hesitate to recommend the hotel for travelers wishing to shop and relax in Sandton.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
It's wonderful to hear that your weekendstay in Sandton was all that you expected and I do hope that I'll have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in 2013. Best wishes, Josiah Montsho, General Manager
cardiff, uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

The Intercontinental is located in the middle of Sandton and is walking distance to the main shopping mall and Mandela Square where there is a good selection of restaurants. Service at the hotel is always great and it has free wifi available for guests. The rooms are well appointed and the showers are some of the best I have used in a business hotel. The hotel restaurants is fine for the occasional meal and breakfast however bring a jacket/jumper with you as it does get very cold in the air conditioning especially near the big fish pond. The hotel gym is well appointed and there is a small outdoor pool and sun deck which is a pleasant place to relax. The hotel arranges pick-up from the airport by car although on my last trip it seemed a lot more money than usual. This is my favourite hotel in Sandton.

Room Tip: Higher floor rooms are quieter.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
I'm delighted to hear that you had a good stay and I look forward to welcoming you back to your "favourite hotel" in 2013. Best wishes, Josiah Montsho, General Manager
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

We booked this hotel for a night solely to be positioned in Sandton to do some shopping after 3 weeks of being on safari in Kenya and Tanzania and because we had 24hours before our flight home. It suited our purpose perfectly - it has a covered walkway to Sandton Shopping Centre and is only a few hundred metres away. We stayed on the club floor and the breakfast was great - not being a big breakfast eater i hate paying for the big buffet breakfasts in hotels when I only peck at a few things, so this facility was perfectly suited for me. If you want a big selection of breakfast fare though you would need to go down to the main restaurant. I liked the lounge in this hotel - whereas at other hotels the club lounges can become too overcrowded - this is small and intimate. The room was everything you would expect of an intercontinental. The bathroom is huge - with full bath and separate shower which was divine! The rain shower head and water flow is perfect. Great amenities by Molton Brown are provided and you also get sound from the TV/Stereo system in the bathroom. The room also had a Bose ipod sound dock which is a great feature to have - we just didn't get the time to use it. The staff are extremely pleasant and efficient. We booked transfer pickups both ways and they showed up on time. Will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
I'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay on our Club Floor from the breakfast, to the room and the staff and, of course, the nearby shopping! Best wishes for 2013 and I trust that I'll have the pleasure of welocming you back to the Towers again this year. Kind regards, Josiah Montsho, General Manager

Been to InterContinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers? Share your experiences!