“Great room layout, but breakfast needs help” 4 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers

Save Saved
You added InterContinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers to your Saves list
InterContinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Corner Maude & Fifth Streets, Sandton 2146, South Africa   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
IHG Special up to 25% Off
Ranked #9 of 44 hotels in Sandton
Tulsa, Oklahoma
“Great room layout, but breakfast needs help”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

First, the location was very convenient for Sandton. It is attached to the Sandton Convention Centre and across the street from Nelson Mandela Square mall. You can walk through the overhead sidewalks to the Sandton hotel, the adjacent mall, and eventually on to Mandela Square if desired. There are a number of restaurants in Mandela Square. The hotel is a short shuttle ride from the Gautrain station (airport express train). Call the hotel when you arrive and they will send the shuttle – they are just around the corner but it is a bit far if you have luggage. The staff is very friendly and very service oriented. They work very hard to see that your needs are met. My room was very clean, nicely appointed with a good sized corner desk and a comfortable bed. The desk chair did not maintain its height. My room had a Bose stereo which accepts an iPhone or iPod, but mine did not work. My favorite room feature is how the closet and bath are in a separate room. You can close the door and have complete privacy for changing, etc. It is spacious as well, with a separate shower, large tub, and sink. There is a dresser, which the top serves as a luggage rack and hanging rods above. There is also a tall in room safe. On either side of the sink there are shelves – a thoughtful feature often overlooked in most hotels. The toilet is in a separate closet in this closet/lavatory. The bed was very comfortable. When I arrived, my phone did not work properly, but it was repaired when I notified the staff. I also determined that the deadbolt did not fully engage. I could see that the door frame had been broken through at one time and the repair was not properly made. The maintenance staff did “fix” the problem with the deadbolt (by cutting out the middle bar on the latch plate), but the wood frame for the latch really needed replacing. I do not think it would have held all that well.

I only ate breakfast in the hotel restaurant. They really need a chef station to offer omelets, eggs, etc., as almost any other hotel around the world has this. The buffet food selection never changed. A much better recipe for the scrambled eggs on the buffet is desperately needed. If you did not get them when they first came out of the kitchen, they were not very good. The waffles looked good, but did not taste good. They had the consistency of a cake doughnut, but frankly tasted awful. A new recipe is needed there as well. I did not try the Asian selections. I mostly ate cereal and pastries (which also needed a better selection). I did have room service once. It was delivered promptly and the food was very good. I did notice that the tip I added to my room service bill was never charged to my room bill, so I hope the staff member still received their money.

Wifi was free for me. The front desk gave me vouchers for both my phone and laptop. An annoying feature is that whenever you accessed the network on the phone after it went to sleep, you had to re-enter the password. I just saved it in a note and did a copy/paste each time. However, the network worked reasonably well. I used the laundry a few times and the hanging clothes came back in a fabric like zippered hanging bag instead of the usual plastic. I took a few of these home (with their permission, of course) and find them useful as covers for suits.

Taxis around Johannesburg were very expensive. A trip to the Apartheid museum cost $70 USD round trip.

I would stay at the hotel again, as I thought the room layout, staff, and location were terrific. The hotel needs to do a better job on the breakfast, as it kept me from even thinking about having dinner there. They also need to pay more attention to maintenance of the rooms. I should not have to inventory everything that is not in order and then make maintenance calls. These deficiencies keep me from giving them a five out of five.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
JosiahSandton, General Manager at InterContinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Thank you for your feedback and I do trust that I'll have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Towers in 2013, Josiah Montsho, General Manager

284 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Amsterdam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

On previous visits to Johannesburg, business colleagues convinced me to stay at the Montecasino because of its location relative to my business appointments. This time I stayed at the Intercontinental in Sandtown and I will return.
Firstly location. Here you are really close to shopping, Nelson Mandela Square and a variety of very good restaurants. Ironically I found out that the taxi trip was usually slightly faster to the office than my previous location.
Service - very, very good. Staff were friendly and everything happened as it should. I have never stayed at a hotel to date where you can get your shoes cleaned whilst you wait for your taxi, just outside the entrance. The gentlemen who does this is an expert.
Room - very comfortable, great bathroom, very comfortable bed and one of the few business hotels that has the foresight to put a Nespresso machine in your room. The Bose sound dock is also a nice touch.
Breakfast - excellent. Wide choice of the traditional western breakfast foods but also Asian food such as a small selection of sushi which sets you up for the day a little differently than bacon, eggs and potatoes.
This was an excellent hotel experience and one which makes sure I will return.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
I am glad that you chose to stay at the Towers on your recent business trip and that you had a great stay with us. Josiah Montsho, General Manager
Luton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Great location, very comfortable, well appointed rooms. Very comfortable beds, 2 types of pillows on the bed, bathrooms fabulous with a real, deep bath that even a taller person can wallow in, separate powerful shower, loo with its own door, lovely complimentary products, fluffy bathrobes. A good sized safe. I love that the rooms also have a full size kettle, espresso style coffee machine, full size china teapot, selection of teas & coffees, plus hot chocolate. They also have a Bose docking station, the usual large flat screen tv, loads of desk space and a proper hairdryer for us ladies.
The bar and restaurant have live music, but later in the evening you'll find more life and atmosphere in the next door Sandton Sun Hotel, connected by a walkway from the 10th floor.
Service fine though not the friendliest wait staff, but this isn't the USA, Reception and Door staff always helpful and polite.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
I am delighted that your stay in general was both pleasant and comfortable and I trust that I'll have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Towers in 2013, Josiah Montsho, General Manager
Cape Town Central, South Africa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Checked in to this hotel and I had issues from the get go. I booked an advance pay reservation online and the money was taken out of my account immediately. Only to get to reception and was told my reservation wasn't paid for. Went back and forth for 20 kinda about how debit cards and credit cards are not charged the same way. Bottom line I had to pay again and got terrible service my whole stay there. From the front desk staff to the house keeping staff. The only good and noteworthy employee was a doorman named Kevin, who went above and beyond to make sure our stay was worthwhile. Also breakfast was to be included in our reservation but I got told at check out that I had to pay again.
If you plan on going to lion park, do not take the hotel package, it is a rip off compared to if you go there yourself
Other than that, the location is perfect and the views are fantastic.

• Stayed November 2012
JosiahSandton, General Manager at InterContinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
There seems to be a misunderstanding here and the background was explained to the guest prior to check-out. This hotel does not take prepayment for advance bookings, therefore the credit card details placed on the booking made on the web were just used as a guarantee, however with advance bookings, breakfast is not included. We did take a pre-authorisation on the guest's credit card for one night on arrival, the guest then made an additional payment, plus a final payment on check-out and the pre-authorisation was cancelled. We apologise for the confusion over this package and trust that the guest will make any future bookings directly with the hotel when he returns to experience our usual 5* standard of service. Josiah Montsho, General Manager
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I had a lovely stay at the Intercontinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers. What a fantastic location (Sandton City Mall & many restaurants from which to choose)...So convenient when using the Gautrain. The hotel accommodations (clean and spacious) and tasty buffet breakfast lived up to the high standards set by Tsogo Sun properties. The hotel staff made our stay so comfortable & welcoming.. We managed to catch the sunset over drinks at The San Deck of the Sandton Sun…WOW, what a spectacular place to kick back and relax! My only regret was that we had to cut our stay short by a day so that we could get home before Hurricane Sandy hit. I would recommend this hotel for both business and leisure travelers.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
JosiahSandton, General Manager at InterContinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at the Towers and that the staff made you welcome. I trust that you arrived home safely without experiencing any damage from Hurricane Sandy and that I'll have the pleasure of welcoming you back in 2013. Kind regards, Josiah Montsho, General Manager
Johannesburg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I usually stay here for business, because of it's convenience in Sandton and skywalk to the restaurants and amenities of Sandton City Mall. The service is always friendly and efficient, especially if you are a regular customer. The rooms are spacious, clean and the beds are very comfortable. Room service is very good, but the hotel restaurant and breakfast area is average. My advice to Hotel guests is to opt for meals at one of the fantastic restaurants in the adjoining hotel or at the Mall, which can be accessed by a safe, covered sky walk.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
JosiahSandton, General Manager at InterContinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Thank you for your positive comments regarding the hotel, location and service and I trust that I will have the pleasure of meeting you in 2013. With kind regards, Josiah Montsho, General Manager
Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I've been here twice for business trips.

It's very easy to get to using the Gautrain and surrounded by shopping centres and restaurants.

The staff are always really helpful, and if you need to get anywhere they're quite happy to organise a car for you.

The breakfast is a bit limited compared to other hotels I've stayed in for business elsewhere in Africa but it is sufficient.

The in-house restaurant is nice, has some good choice and isn't too pricey. With that said, it's totally worth heading over to Nelson Mandella Square and sampling some of the food there.

The hotel also has a skywalk straight into the Sandton shopping centre which is massive and has tonnes of shops ranging from little trinket stores to high fashion shops.

The room is comfortable and has plenty of space and even has it's own ironing board. The shower is nice and powerful as well.

The wifi can be a bit iffy in my experience, but there is a normal ethernet point hiding under the desks. It's worth bringing one of your own cables thats maybe 2m or longer as the desk can get in the way of shorter cables. (Sorry to be such a Nerd, but like I said, I stayed here for work!)

In all honesty, if I was planning to come to Joburg for fun I'd probably consider this place quite highly.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your positive comments concerning the hotel, staff and location and I have noted your comments regarding the slow internet and the location of the internet point. I trust that I will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in 2013 and in the meantime I send best wishes, Josiah Montsho, General Manager

Been to InterContinental Johannesburg Sandton Towers? Share your experiences!