“Great stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Michelangelo Hotel

Save Saved
You added Michelangelo Hotel to your Saves list
Michelangelo Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   135 West Street, Nelson Mandela Square | Sandown, Sandton 2146, South Africa   |
Ranked #3 of 44 hotels in Sandton
“Great stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I stayed here for business & thought the hotel was fantastic. Service was friendly & helpful. Food was great as well. Rooms are big and well decked out. The hotel is a bit aged, but still very stylish & worth the price.

Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
MichelangeloSandton, General Manager at Michelangelo Hotel, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Dear Michael B

Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our staff to be friendly and helpful.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Michelangelo Hotel again.

Kind Regards

409 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

LOCATION
My family comes from South Africa and we used to visit there every year, so I know what I'm talking about when I say that if visiting Johannesburg, this is the best part of town to be in (Sandton), and within Sandton, it has the BEST location. It is INSIDE the Sandton shopping center of Nelson Mandela Square. Literally the lobby of the hotel becomes the shopping center, you don't even have to open a door. It is a very safe area of Johannesburg in case that was a worry for anyone. Of course where ever you are in Joburg there's a chance of something happening but Sandton is probably the best part of Joburg to be in, in terms of safety. In all my families years of living in Joburg and my annual visits, nothing has ever happened to me that would put me off returning, nothing has ever happened to me at all. Sandton Shopping Center is very nice and quite large too. When you exit the shopping center, you are in Nelson Mandela Square, which if you are a first time traveler in Joburg is a must see. This is where the statue of Nelson Mandela is. There are lots of very nice and very casual too, restaurants and cafes here. Often you'll see little kids running around outside. (In case of confusion, Nelson Mandela Square was previously known and Sandton Square, the shopping center is known as both Sandton shopping center and Nelson Mandela Square. I just call the actual shopping center 'Sandton shopping center', and the outside of the shopping center 'Nelson Mandela Square'. But it is all the same.)

HOTEL ITSELF
Very nice, large and luxurious. There are a couple of restaurants to my memory, I was there is 2010, and am not exactly sure. Check on the hotel website to be sure. But I do remember, breakfast was very nice, what you would expect at any 5 star hotel. We never ate lunch here, or dinner. But I do think they serve all three meals a day. We actually attended a wedding on this visit to Joburg, which is the reason we stayed in a hotel, usually we would stay with family. But after the wedding, which was quite late at night, the hotel was still running tea's, coffee's and late night desserts in the downstairs lounge/restaurant area. They also had (I think 24hrs), very nice room service, again what you would expect of a 5* hotel.
I am not sure whether or not there was a pool or gym, I am sure there would have been, but take a look on the website to be sure.

SERVICE
All staff are very friendly, and as you would expect at a hotel like this, are there to cater to your every need. Although you don't have to, tips are always welcomed and outside of the hotel, usually expected.

ROOMS
Rooms (or at least the one we stayed in, I am not sure whether or not it was a suite or just a regular room), were very large and of course very nice, clean, and were not 'modern and minimalist' but were still luxurious. With reds and marble and still obviously the crisp, white sheets. The room was quite nice in that it was almost like two rooms, with the bed, bathroom, wardrobe on one level and then a couple steps down and you had a lounge/study area.
The bathrooms always kept in good condition. Marble, or some type of shiny stone cabinetry.

All in all, I think it is the best location if visiting South Africa, very central. They have very friendly and willing staff and good service. The rooms and bathrooms are luxurious and clean and large. The hotel itself is again, very luxurious and grand. And the food as well, very nice.

I stayed in July '10

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear micaelaRO308

Wow! What incredible feedback. Thank you very much for posting your review. Your comments are appreciated by our entire passionate team and truly reinforces our committment to service excellence.

We look forward to welcoming you back again and send our regards to your family.

Best wishes

Majeka House
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

This review is well overdue as my stay at this hotel was at least four months ago.
This is a great hotel in the centre of Sandton.
The food, room and gym was all great. What really made my stay here was the friendliness and professionalism of all the staff I encountered.
I will most definitely stay here again

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
MichelangeloSandton, General Manager at Michelangelo Hotel, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear Lloyd v,

We are most grateful for your recognition and recommendation as your hotel of choice.

Many thanks,

Worthing, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

If you like 100% attention this is the place to stay, nothing is too much trouble. The staff are fantastic and know how to provide a first class service. The only negative for me on this point is that when I'm travelling on business I'd rather have less fuss (but that's just me) the rooms are very equipped and have all the requirements, I did find the room again a little over fussy but this is the design of the hotel, very decadent. I steer more to the cleaner lines and comtemporary type hotels usually but this was a great experience and certainly one I would recommend. My room over looked Mandela square which was lovely, apart from when you want to stand on the balcony and you're besieged by pigeons, so beware. It's right on the square as well so easy to eat in the restaurants below and shop in the mall, the local Gautrain is in walking distance as well, and you can walk reactively safely from the station to the hotel during busy times.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking Mandela square even with the pigeons
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
MichelangeloSandton, General Manager at Michelangelo Hotel, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Dear PRS333,

Your kind note on your experience at the Michelangelo Hotel is most appreciated by our passionate Team.

Thank you.

Pretoria, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Full marks for the personnel of the Michelangelo for making our stay a wonderful experience.
Definately the hotel with the best location in the Johannesburg area. Excellent restaurants around. So close to the Gautrain station. The Hotel also offers a shuttle service to the station.
The breakfast is excellent.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear HugoJvR,

Thank you for your great positive feedback.

Our team will continue to strive for excellence.

Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Not to long ago i decided to treat my lady to an evening out, i decided to swallow up the frills and spills of Sandton, and via a very good recommendation i ended up booking a night at the Michelangelo hotel and reserving a table at the piccolo mondo restaurant, what an evening was had by the both of us! to start i was greeted by the restaurant manager by name and surname (very impressed) seated at the table and starters were ordered myself and lady both shared the starter, prawn fritters (beautiful) all along being very well looked after from the waiters friendly and understanding, main was equally as gorgeous!!!!(sirloin) paired with a beautiful dry red wine from the cellar, the it was on to dessert me not normally having a sweet tooth asked for a recommendation, well was i blown away, the wild berry creme brulee came smoking through the restaurant and served to me, needless to say i lapped up every inch of it!!!!! an absolutely stunning evening was had, ALL ROUND FRIENDLY,ORGANIZED,CARING HOTEL YOU HAVE NOT SEEN THE LAST OF ME!!!!!
FROM M.M

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Manny M,

I am happy to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your evening at our Piccolo Mondo Restaurant and that you were well looked after.

Our team is thrilled to learn that they achieved such high standards all round.

Looking forward to meeting you on your next visit to the Michelangelo Hotel.

Shanghai, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Although check in was a bit slow, we were offered some limonade, and it was a nice touch.
the driver was nice, safe, and took us from the airport to the hotel very quickly.
Our luggages were delivered fast, and the bar opened in a few minutes, I needed to leave some medication in the fridge, and have some ice for transport and they found a solution.
The rooms were very large, we had a suite and my kids a regular room, vast bathroom, great amenities, lots of shampoo and conditioner...
I have nothing to complain about...
I needed to use the business center, it was closed for a few days over the holidays, but a young man helped me find another computer, and took me there. I really appreciated it, it saved my trip, and I then enjoyed a good breakfast.
Coming from Europe, the value is very good!
We also had diner at the restaurant!!! What a treat! again, delicious food, perfect portion size, and the prices are very reasonnable!
Enjoy...

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
MichelangeloSandton, General Manager at Michelangelo Hotel, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
14 January 2013

Dear PascaleV

Thank you very much for your feedback

We are happy to hear that your stay with us was to your satisfaction and you enjoyed the food at our restaurant Piccolo Mondo as well as our friendly and helpful staff.

Hope to welcome you back in the near future

Kind Regards
Roberto Rosa

Been to Michelangelo Hotel? Share your experiences!