Once we figured out where to park (the streets are not entirely intuitive and the parking garage is past the hotel and not clearly labeled as hotel parking), we walked into a very comfortable and nicely appointed reception area.
The decor is really lovely, and everything is cleaned very well. Check in was quick and explained well, but our walk from the reception area to our room was a little frustrating. The hotel is sprawling, and perfect for walks around the grounds - which are absolutely lovely. However, it makes it hard to figure out where to go!
It took us about twenty minutes to figure out where our room was, and then another ten minutes to figure out that we couldn't find the nearest elevator. I'm sure there *is* an elevator somewhere near the area of our room, we just never figured out where it was. As a result, we hauled all our luggage up to the room (and back down to check out) via the stairs.
The beds were ridiculously comfortable and the bathroom was CLEAN. I always check for mold, it's something that really bothers me. There was no mold, and not a corner was left with so much as a stray hair.
The breakfast was good taste-wise, but this is the only part of the hotel where we found service lacking. It was hard to wave a server down to get coffee, and nearly impossible to get a refill of coffee. We had no sweetener at our table, and no one was interested in helping us get some.
The hotel is within easy walking distance of the malls and Mandela Square. You do have to pass several street booths, but they were not aggressive at all with the passer-by.
All in all, we really enjoyed our stay at the Protea Balalaika and plan on making it our base for any future visits to Jo'Burg.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Protea Hotel Balalaika Sandton is a tranquil oasis of country estate in the heart of the business and entertainment hub of Sandton, just outside Johannesburg, South Africa and approximately 30 minutes from O.R. Tambo International Airport. The Protea Hotel Balalaika is the perfect stopover for those doing business in the surrounding area, or as a central hub for the discerning tourist. The hotel comprises of two sections – the Balalaika and the Crown Court – and all rooms are air-conditioned and tastefully furnished in a classic, comfortable style with their own en-suite bathroom, with many of the Crown Court suites offering the additional luxury of a private spa bath. Both buildings of Protea Hotel Balalaika are set in their own lush, landscaped garden, each boasting a sparkling swimming pool, where GUESTs can relax, unwind and momentarily experience the timelessness and calm of a bygone era. At the Protea Hotel Balalaika, efficient, discreet and attentive service is a priority and our well-trained STAFF is always on hand to ensure that all of your needs are amply met. Guests are able to safely and easily use the link from the hotel lobby to the festive Village Walk Shopping Centre, which houses 15 restaurants, 70 shops selling a variety of wares, a main grocery store (Pick ‘n Pay), hair and beauty salons and the well-known African Craft market, where one will find African artifacts, curios and artworks from all over the continent. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, Expedia, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Orbitz, Priceline, Despegar.com, Agoda, Booking.com, Tingo and South African Hotels so you can book your Protea Hotel Balalaika Sandton reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Protea Hotel Johannesburg
- Balalaika Hotel
- Protea Hotel Balalaika Sandton Greater Johannesburg
- Sandton Hotel Balalaika