I was fortunate enough to be invited for dinner at the Saxon during a recent work trip to Johannesburg. Wow!! The hotel car came to collect me & I was chauffeured by a charming driver in a beautiful Mercedes with a centre console filled with water bottles, cool towels, perfume etc. We arrived at a beautiful gated property in a most affluent area & ascended the long driveway to the hotel itself. Instantly another staff member opened the door & welcomed us to the hotel before ushering us to the pool terrace for pre dinner drinks. We were given a personal tour of the hotel & shown one of the amazing suites. It was unbelievable! Huge & beautifully decorated with ultimate attention to detail. The staff member who showed us round was well informed about the hotel services & took obvious pride & delight in his job. Next up was a tour of the wine cellars. There are two, one red, one white & I was fascinated to learn that different wines are stored in different vats or fridges depending upon which temperature is best. The sommelier was excellent, obviously very learned on his subject & took the time to not only explain the various wines but to choose us a bottle based upon our tastes. We were led to our table where our designated staff looked after us impeccably. Always friendly, courteous, enquiring yet not soporific. A tiny, almost indecipherable shiver was noted immediately & a patio heater arrived as if by magic! The food was fabulous. Beautifully presented with subtle, delicate flavours. The steak was cooked to perfection (I often struggle in South Africa as tend to find that their version of medium rare is far more well done than mine!) & the accompanying vegetables delicious. The desserts were exquisite, art on a plate & devoured within moments!
Whilst I did not have the pleasure of staying at the hotel I certainly experienced the hospitality & service & can genuinely say that it was first rate. To find staff who are all so charming, take a genuine interest in your wishes & opinions & who take such obvious pride in their hotel is so rare yet it was in abundance at the Saxon! I was made to feel like Kate Middleton & if the Saxon is the sort of place she frequents then I can only hope to come back as a princess in my next life!
An experience I shall never forget!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Saxon has a story to tell. Originally a private home and host to many honoured guests. The art within the home portrays lives lived with guests and friends spending time together. Elegant. Luxurious. Unforgettable. Merging the finest culinary experiences, the ultimate in luxurious accommodation and the award-winning Spa, the Saxon will take you on an unforgettable journey. This is truly the place you can call home. Let the Saxon treat you to personalised, discreet service and unparalleled South African hospitality. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Booking.com, Agoda, Priceline, Odigeo and TripOnline SA so you can book your Saxon Hotel, Villas and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Saxon Boutique Hotel Johannesburg
- Hotel Saxon Boutique
- Saxon Hotel, Villas And Spa Sandton, Greater Johannesburg