We visited the Saxon for Dinner last Thursday, aware that this Hotel has been the worlds leading Boutique Hotel since 2001 as well as its rich association with Nelson Mandela at a pivotal time in South African history.
Pre dinner patio drinks gave us the opportunity to appreciate the gardens as well as experience the astonishing attention to detail in service, decor and ambiance. In the dining room executive chef David Higg's visited our table to say hello and the sommeliers recommendation was faultless. My meal of lobster on a gnocchi base was perfectly cooked and presented.
Considering my longstanding association with fault finding, my sole complaint is that the dining experience was as close to excellence as any I have enjoyed anywhere, leaving me with nothing to add to the 'cons' column. The Saxon really is something special and a real treat for any visitor to Johannesburg interested in fine dining in a historic location. I imagine if Gordon Ramsey was visiting Johannesburg, this would be his first choice.
I am already looking forward to my next visit.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Saxon has a story to tell. Originally a private home and host to many honoured guests. The art within the home portrays lives lived with guests and friends spending time together. Elegant. Luxurious. Unforgettable. Merging the finest culinary experiences, the ultimate in luxurious accommodation and the award-winning Spa, the Saxon will take you on an unforgettable journey. This is truly the place you can call home. Let the Saxon treat you to personalised, discreet service and unparalleled South African hospitality. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Odigeo and TripOnline SA so you can book your Saxon Hotel, Villas and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Saxon Boutique Hotel Johannesburg
- Hotel Saxon Boutique
- Saxon Hotel, Villas And Spa Sandton, Greater Johannesburg