“Very grateful to this hotel and staff!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 33% on Weekend Stays
Ranked #21 of 47 Hotels in Sandton
Stuttgart, Germany
“Very grateful to this hotel and staff!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2010

On our trip to Jo'Berg, we had orignally booked a stay at the Africa Center. Upon arrival, they showed us to our room, a wooden shed out behind the hotel. We had to walk across the lawn to get to the bathroom. I don't think so with me being 7 months pregnant and having my 2 yo son. So we immediately left and wen tin search of a new hotel. This was during the World Cup so as you can imagine, most hotels were booked. We went to Sandton since we knew it was a nice part of town and were hopeful of finding a nice place to stay. Luckily the Hilton had some availability.

We also ran into a problem with our tickets. The nearest office for our airline was in Cape Town. The concierge at Hilton Sandton sent held our tickets for the courier to pick up and then held them when they arrived back at the hotel. This was all over a lapse in our stay as we went up north for a few days. Very grateful that Tony was willing to do this for us.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Navi Mumbai, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2010

My stay at Hilton was courteous and very comfortable. The location and prompt service makes me feel at home. The place is well secured as well. The business center can accommodate large number of guests and the ambiance of the place is great. The coffee shop service till late night helped us to grab our food at odd hours. The staff at the reception was very courteous and friendly. The menu could add some more Indian dishes to give variety to existing menu.

florida, us
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2010

We stayed at the Hilton for one night at the end of our tour. The airport pickup was prompt and friendly. The hotel is very nice and comfortable. We were given a 4 pm checkout the next day since we had a late flight. The only drawback is they are about a half mile away from Nelson Mandela square but they offer a free shuttle most of the day. The return to the airport was also great.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Beijing, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2010

I stayed several times here, almost 80 nights in last few years. It is located central sandton where you can go by walk to mandela sq. as well as all directions 10-15 minutes withour any security concern.

Rooms are new clean and big. Beds are confortable and also clean.

Swimming pools are also quite usefull several months of the year.

I strongly recommend T-bone steak at the hotel with local redwines, it is lovely as well as mangos from breakfast buffet.

I have not had any single bad experience during my stays there (probably they are recognizing me or due my gold status at hilton)

the biggest problem is its price it can go upto 300€ during fairs congress etc. I would say a fair price is 130-150€ surely depending on your agent it can vary.

If you can not stay here try to be close to hilton as this area is safe and nice. I would not recommend Joburg down town at all.

• Stayed November 2009
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2010

The Hilton in Sandton, Johannesburg, offers great service at a reasonable price. The in-room dining is good and speedy. On the first floor is a restaurant with a large buffet offering you anything your heart might desire for breakfeast or brunch.
The executive lounge is small in size, however big in selection and quality.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2010

This was our first trip to South Africa and I was travelling on a customized tour with three other families. Since we had young kids (2 infants and 4 children) in the group, we had selected a Five Star Hotel so that at least we could expect good stay facilities and good services. We had stayed at Hilton in London before and so had booked at the Sandton. But somehow we weren't really very happy with the overall service that we received on arrival and thereafter.
We had travelled from Mumbai straight on a 9 hour night flight on South African Airlines (which again was a disastrous flight in terms of service, very rude airhostesses) & arrived in Joberg by 9 am. By the time we reached the Hotel it was a little over 11 am. The weather was chilly, around 12 degreesC and there was a cold breeze. All our stuff was packed and we desperately needed to freshen up, esp the kids. The staff at the reception informed us that since the check in time was 2 pm (check out 11am!!) the rooms were not ready and no alternative arrangement could be done till then. (This inspite of booking two months in advance and pick up arranged by airport). All they could offer was to keep all our luggage together till the rooms were ready. Since we were aware of a free shuttle service to Nelson Mandela Square every half an hour, we told them that we wouldn't like to waste any more time then and would want to go there for an early lunch. So we loitered around in the lobby on the mini couch opposite the reception. After some time on enquiring whether the shuttle had arrived, we were told that it had just left! They, errr, forgot to tell us! So after spending an hour in the lobby with 6 hungry kids n exhausted us, we caught the next SUV to the square. After a quick lunch and a walk in the expensive Michaelangelo Mall, we returned to the Hotel by around 5 pm. We were made to wait for another 25 minutes, to complete the Check In formalities! Since we were four families travelling together, we had requested that we be given rooms nearby on the same floor. But forget get nearby or even in the same wings, we all weren't even alloted on the same floor. One of the families was also alloted a different standard room with only a bath cubicle, while the rest had Bath Tubs! Their poor daughter was in tears! By the time the differences were sorted and a new room was alloted it was almost 8pm. Also in the night I had to call up the room service twice to remind them to send me some coffee sachets. So we felt that the service was very Slow and the personal Touch was so much missing.
The next morning my husband went for a swim in the pool and came back with almost a frost bite. Apparently the pool is open air, and in the chilly weather of around 8 - 10 degrees C , it wasn't even temp controlled. But enough of whining.
The rooms were Splendidly done, with the latest wood finish interiors, LCD, mirrored Bar, comfy Beds and great view. The Hotel is located just a 7 minute drive to Nelson Mandela Square. Its quiet a drive from the Airport though around 45 minutes. It doesnt have a very extensive and brightly decorated Lobby but was cozy enough (we did spend some considerable time there on arrival, right). The next day morning Breakfast Spread was also good and had waffled pancakes and noodles! Have attached some snaps.
Hilton Sandton is a great stay place but lacks the personal touch, which we got to experience in all the rest of the Five Star Hotels we stayed at in the remainder of our trip.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Moyock, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2010

Our group was a 6 room group. We all had different experiences with the hotel. My room service was pretty good besides the first day when we found chewed gum in a dish in our room. Besides that, the room was always cleaned well, made up, and mostly restocked (I had to ask for creamer almost every day because they did nor replenish it). There is a tea kettle in the rooms with an assortment of teas (no coffee). I am a coffee drinker. However, I always bring the little individual coffee bags with me so I was fine.

There is an in room safe where I put my valuables. I felt safe in the hotel and had no reasons to mistrust anyone that worked there. There are double locks on the room doors. I had to leave the air on every night because if we did not, you could here everything next door or outside your room. Our room was very hot, which we were told there was nothing that could be done that. However, the person in our adjoining room was able to adjust their room temperature and it was a much nicer temperature.

My room had twin beds because I shared a room with someone. The beds were super hard. I found them uncomfortable because of my back (I had a serious back injury a few years ago). My roommate slept fine on them though.

The food was excellent there! The breakfast buffet, which was included in our room price (but not everyone’s), was wonderful. There were all sorts of fruit, pastries, yogurts, meets, eggs, made to order omelet’s, etc. Really great. The lunch and dinner buffets were good also. The set menu had many choices (including vegetarian). The only food I would stay away from would be the hibachi grill. It was so-so and mostly more expensive than the rest of the food.

Our issues came with the service at the hotel. For example, at supper one night, a coworker of ours had issues getting change (it took over an hour to get her change). We were often charged incorrectly for our meal and it would take a long time to fix (over 30 minutes). Also, different people would be charged different amounts for the same thing. For example, several of us would have the full buffet, and some people would be charged less than others. Unfortunately, this often fell along ethnic lines, which was even more frustrating for us. We did not notice this type of dis-service at other areas or restaurants, so we do not believe it is a culture thing.

Overall, the hotel stay was decent. Personally, I would not stay there again. However, it is not a bad hotel overall.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business

Been to Hilton Sandton? Share your experiences!