“Good location, Great staff” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 33% on Weekend Stays
Ranked #21 of 47 Hotels in Sandton
Miami, Florida
“Good location, Great staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

Stayed here for one night. Hotel is clean and comfortable. Across the street is a large financial office center with several really good restaurants. Convienient shuttle service from the Gautrain station is a plus. Since our time was limited and I'm in a wheelchair, the concierge staff was really great about getting a suitable van arranged to go see Pretoria and the Rhino and Lion park. Very nice pool and garden out back, but the weather was a bit too cool for swimming (as was the water). We did want to sit by the pool and have a drink, but there was no one at the pool bar at 1pm on a Friday. Had a small problem with voltage conversion for my wheelchair power and their engineering staff had a proper transformer for us within an hour. Great customer service!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Dear Mr/Ms Nbmiami,

First of all I would like to thank you for choosing to stay at the Hilton Sandton and secondly for sharing your valuable feedback with us. We greatly appreciate any comments made by you, and this time with regards to the amazing stay you had with us in particular. Hilton prides itself with guests like you having the feeling of being at home while away from home. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their wellbeing very seriously and always hope to meet and exceed our guests’ expectations.

Mr/Ms Nbmiami, I do apologise that there was no team member to assist you when you were at the pool. Please be assured that pool is attended on daily bases until 6 pm.

Overall, we are delighted to see that you thoroughly enjoyed your time with us and I would like to thank you once more for bringing to our attention the great service you had received from our team members and it will be my absolute pleasure to share the same with the team accordingly. It is feedback like yours which always makes all efforts truly worthwhile.

Mr/Ms Nbmiami, we all are looking forward to welcoming you back again to the Hilton Sandton in the near future.

If I can be of any assistance for you in the meantime, please do contact me at any given time. It will be always a pleasure to assist.

HEIDI KLEINE MOELLER I Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

nice stay and clean hotel, nice service , need to be more quite and more luxury, chattel was ok and the service was fine, breakfast need to include more items and great that all food in the hotel is Halal

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Heidi K, Manager at Hilton Sandton, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Dear Ms Safinaz Y.,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Hilton Sandton and for sharing your valuable feedback with us. We greatly appreciate any comments made by you, and this time with regards to the amazing stay you had with us in particular.

Ms Safinza Y, we are delighted to see that you thoroughly enjoyed your time with us and I would like to thank you once more for bringing to our attention the great service you had received from our team members and it will be my absolute pleasure to share the same with the team accordingly. It is feedback like yours which always makes all efforts truly worthwhile.

We all are looking forward to welcoming you back again to the Hilton Sandton in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

I have never written a review for a hotel before, although I have stayed in many hotels worldwide on business. Unfortunately, the experience I had this weekend at the Hilton Sandton was simply infuriating. A quick bullet-point list of what went wrong:

1. The lack of sound-proofing meant that I was woken up multiple times on my first night in the Hilton by the sounds of someone vomiting next door. Charming.
2. I put some laundry in for same-day cleaning, but had to call at midday the next day to get my laundry returned to me.
3. After my call, only 1 of the 3 items I had given for cleaning was returned. I then had to call again to get the other 2 items.
4. The hotel tried to charge me for 5 days' worth of internet. I only stayed 3 nights.
5. The real kicker? I was woken up on my last night by a faulty pipe in the room next door. It took 3 calls to the front desk and a trip downstairs at 3am - a process taking an hour overall - to get a key to a quiet room. I only got access to another room through asking for it as the staff originally said they would send a technician - not really something I want to wait for in the middle of the night. Upon getting the key to the new room, I was then told I would have to pack and move all my belongings. At 3am. It took some difficulty to persuade the staff to let me just sleep elsewhere and pack up my belongings the next morning (as I was checking out then anyway).

I was offered absolutely zero compensation for this series of screw-ups, and will not be staying here again.

Oh well, at least the food was nice.

Dear Mr/Ms Seroi,

Mr/Ms Seroi, it is with greatest concern to read that exactly that was not the case, for which I most sincerely apologize. Please be assured that feedback like yours is note taken lightly and a thorough investigation has been done to prevent any reoccurrence. I sincerely apologize for the service you received and the frustration and dissatisfaction caused during the night.

With regards to the laundry which is collected around mid-morning, it will be washed and ironed and returned back to you room by the afternoon. The only time laundry is returned back to your room the next day is when the laundry department was very busy. I do apologise that this was not communicated to you and that you had to call to find out about the pending items yourself.

Mr/Ms Seroi I do hear your frustration and great disappointment with regards to the extra internet charges. Please let me assure you that all matters have been addressed with all parties involved, as this mistake never should have happened in the first place.

Please be assured that we do look forward to a continued relationship with you, and we all are looking forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Sandton in the near future. It will be always my pleasure to assist.

London, England.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

We stayed at the Hilton Sandton a couple of times this month, having good memories of this hotel from a few years back. How things have changed...

The Hotel is now looking very tired and in need of a refurb. On our first stay we were allocated a better room, but on our second stay we were in 437 where none of the electrical sockets worked and where noise was a problem through the connecting door to the adjacent room. The furniture was badly chipped, the clock radio didn't work, the sink was glazed, and the toilet seat was badly marked. And, maybe a small thing, but they didn't even provide a pen by the bedside or anywhere else in the room.

We're diamond members of Hilton's Hhonors and were disappointed by the Hotel's failure to recognise this and also by the absence of the promised welcome amenity and double Hhonors points that were supposed to be part of the 'Weekends Your Way' rate that we used for the first of our two stays. We did have access to the Exec Lounge but this too was dated and, although some Lounge staff in the evening did a great job, the breakfast team were mostly offhand and miserable and slow to replenish food items and clear tables to make way for waiting guests. We also had the misfortune of being in the Exec Lounge in the early afternoon of 25 March during what looked like a shift change. The staff made a huge amount of noise talking amongst themselves, sitting on the tables by the Lounge door swinging their legs, and dipping in to fruit and drinks from the buffet while ignoring guests absolutely.

The Hotel offers an attractive pool area but, although the bar there was set up, this was left unstaffed for over an hour on one of the mornings we stayed and we had to find a staff member to track down the attendant so we and other guests could order lunch. We also ate dinner one night in the Hotel's Tradewinds Restaurant where the food was passable but where the ambience was poor - again this was a very dated setting. Our experience was also not enhanced by staff scraping food scraps from diners' plates into a bucket on top of their centrally-positioned wait station instead of carrying these directly to the kitchen and out of guest sight as would be the usual process.

The Hilton is a few minutes drive from Sandton Station which makes transfers from the Airport easy on the excellent and secure Gautrain service. We checked with the Hotel before travelling and they advised us to call from the airport so the Hotel shuttle could meet us at the station - this worked the first time but on the second stay we had to call again from Sandton station to chase it.

All-in-all these were two shameful stays and absolutely at odds with the good experience we enjoyed this month at other Hilton properties in South Africa. Given the dated nature of the Hilton Sandton's infrastructure its service needs to be really good but sadly we found it to be not even close to that. Management here gives the impression of being absolutely complacent and, based on what we experienced this month, is deserving of a good shake up.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Mr/Ms Tint7003,

First of all I thank you for staying at the Hilton Sandton and for sharing your valuable feedback with us. Our main aim, being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their wellbeing very seriously and always hope to meet and exceed our guests expectations. And secondly I would like to thank you for your honest and constructive feedback. We at Hilton strive to make our guests feel at home while away from home.

However, it is with greatest concern to read that exactly that was not the case during your recent visit(s), for which I most sincerely apologize. Please be assured that your concern and open feedback is highly appreciate and has been taken very seriously. The service you received and the frustration and dissatisfaction caused is indeed unacceptable. Please be assured corrective measures will be taken accordingly.

In regards to your comments of our property being outdated, I am pleased to inform you that our hotel refurbishment is about to kick off this year, starting with our restaurants and to be continued with one of our floors and our lobby thereafter.

Nevertheless, I truly regret any inconvenience and dissatisfaction caused to you, however though I am not able to undo the negative impression received, I would highly appreciate if you would give us another chance to prove to you, that we can do much better than what you recently have experienced with us.

Please be assured that we do look forward to a continued relationship with you, and we all are looking forward to welcoming you back one day again.

Please do let me know if I can be of any assistance to you in the meantime and whenever travel brings you back to the Hilton Sandton.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

LOCATION: The Hilton Hotel in Sandton is located in a great place,in the centre of the business district, though it's convenient to rent a car to move around.
SERVICE: The best feature of the hotel. All the emplooyees are fantastic and always willing to help. From the managers on duty to the waiters at the restaurant
FOOD: really nice restaurant, with a balanced menu and convenient opening hours
ROOMS: as it could be expected, great.
GYM AND SWIMMING POOL: The gym is quite enough for a basic workout, with free weights, a few work out machines and a couple of trade mills. The swimming pool is absolutely fantastic.

Dear Mr Anton A,

We are delighted to see that you thoroughly enjoyed your time with us and I would like to thank you once more for bringing to our attention the great service you had received from our team members and it will be my absolute pleasure to share the same with the team accordingly. It is feedback like yours which always makes all efforts truly worthwhile.

Wokingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

Hotel has a nice welcoming and safe feel to it, with well appointed public areas; I had a large sumptuous and comfortable room (junior suite - not sure) with those little extras you might expect at a top end hotel. Interaction with many of the staff feels a bit mechnical and laboured. Seems like many of them have set of must say phrases and questions and not sure what to say if things go off script, a bit like those call centre dialogues that most of us are familiar with these days. Food was excellent with variety on the menu, but service was a little slow and uncertain. I will be back!

Room Tip: Taxis are difficult to come by if you are not at a central town location or one of the main transpor...
Dear Mr Barry K.,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Hilton Sandton and for sharing your valuable feedback with us. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

Hilton has always taken pride in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home while away from home. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their wellbeing very seriously and always hope to meet exceed our guests expectations.

Mr Barry K, with regards to our team members who sounds like they are reciting what they were taught to say, this might have been due to several team members being new and being about to finish their training. Please be assured that shortly everyone will be settled in their position and will have build up a bit more confidence. I thank you for your understanding and your feedback provided.

We are delighted to see that overall you enjoyed your time with us and I would like to thank you once more for your valuable feedback. It is feedback like yours which always makes all efforts truly worthwhile.

Please be assured, we all are looking forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Sandton in sunny South Africa.

In the meantime, if I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me at any given time. It will be always a pleasure to assist.

Hong Kong, China
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

I have chosen this hotel as i will be spending the next six months in Jo'burg and I am a hhonors member, so I want to stay here. I have already spent 3 weeks in this hotel. The building and infrastructure are not great but not bad, so, whatever........ BUT....
- At breakfast almost every morning I have to walk up to the waitresses to ask for my coffee. Noone comes back to pick up my finished plates or ask me if I need anything else
- Twice at laundry I have gotten other peoples' underpants!!!! How do you mix that up??? As I am writing this they are bringing me various underpants from which I must pick mine up.
- Yesterday I've unwittingly locked myself out of the room barefooted and had no way to call someone as there are no telephones on any corridors that i could see. I had to go to reception and stay barefooted in some queue to get another card

They seriously need to up their game right now

Room Tip: 1st floor the revamped rooms. The ones on the 5th are old.
Dear M Alexkatsanos,

First of all I thank you for staying at the Hilton Sandton and for sharing your valuable feedback with us. Our main aim, being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their wellbeing very seriously and always hope to meet and exceed our guests expectations. I would like to thank you for your honest and constructive feedback. We at Hilton strive to make our guests feel at home while away from home.

However, it is with greatest concern to read that exactly that was not the case during your visit, for which I most sincerely apologize. Please be assured that your concern and open feedback is highly appreciate and always taken very seriously. I sincerely apologize for the service you received and the frustration and dissatisfaction caused. Please be assured that your feedback has been shared with management and all team members responsible. Please be assured that feedback like yours is note taken lightly and corrective measures have been taken in the meantime.

Mr Alexkatsanos, I truly regret any inconvenience caused to you, and though I am not able to undo the negative impression received, I would highly appreciate if you would give us another chance to prove to you, that we can do much better than what you recently have experienced with us.

HEIDI KLEINE MOELLER I Director of Operations

Been to Hilton Sandton? Share your experiences!