“Hilton, Sandton” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 48 Hotels in Sandton
San Diego, United States
“Hilton, Sandton”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

Excellent location, great service - the service staff are friendly and very helpful.. Food choices and quality is very good. Close to all major point of interest as well shopping malls and the airport.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Mr Pratap

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Hilton Sandton and for sharing your valuable feedback with us. We greatly appreciate any comments made by you, and this time with regards to the amazing stay you had with us in particular.

Mr Pratap, we are delighted to see that you thoroughly enjoyed your time with us. It is feedback like yours which always makes all efforts truly worthwhile.

HEIDI KLEINE MOELLER I Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
auckland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

I enjoyed my three day stay here. The rooms are a good size with a massive bed, they are clean and tidy and have everything you need.

The breakfast is great with every type of breakfast food you can think of as well as some dinner food ( steak, stir fried noddles, curry and rice and salad bar) they have a range of fruit juice and nice coffee .

I had four lunch/dinner meals here. The menu gets a bit boring and is mainly European food. The meals are large and cost about 10-20 nz dollars which is thought was really well priced. If you like normal European food this is the place for you, If you want some spice and flavor head into Sandon mall they have a huge range of restaurants .

The free shuttle to and from the mall every half hour was really helpful and the mall has a massive range of shops, I spent five hours there and didn't get close to seeing it all.

The pool area is really nice.

Only grumble is the internet, if your coming here for business this could get quite frustrating: it costs about $20NZD per 24 hour period which is a high price to pay for crap internet. Each time I lost connection I had to go down to level two ( I was on 5) to get the connection back. My advise is If you need the internet a lot while you are here then ask for a room closer to level two as that is where the connection is good. The girls at the business centre were most polite and helpful as were all the staff.

A shuttle to the airport is 600rand, it's a half hour drive and in a very nice Mercedes which was great after a log flight.

Overal very happy with the Hilton.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear Mr/Ms Saraandray,

I would like to thank you for choosing to stay at the Hilton Sandton and for taking the time to share your very valuable feedback with us. Hilton prides itself with guests like you having the feeling of being at home while away from home. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their wellbeing very seriously and always hope to meet and exceed our guests’ expectations.

With regards to the internet services, you might be aware that this service is provided by an outside company and we are in the process of finalizing a new contract with a new internet provider, which will include an increase of our bandwidth and complementary internet in our public area. We currently are expecting the changeover to the providers to be completed end of January 2014.

Mr/Ms Saraandray, we are delighted to see that you thoroughly enjoyed your time with us and I would like to thank you once more for bringing to our attention the great service you had received from our team members and it will be my absolute pleasure to share the same with the team accordingly. It is feedback like yours which always makes all efforts truly worthwhile.

Please be assured we all are looking forward to welcoming you back again to the Hilton Sandton in the near future, and if I can be of any assistance for you in the meantime, please do contact me at any given time. It will be always a pleasure to assist.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

I visited the Sandton Hilton for a week for a conference which I work on in the hotel. This has already been extended into next year so I will be going back!

I was very pleased with my room which was clean and tidy and pretty modern. The pool area is absolutely stunning and generally the entire hotel is in great shape from what I could see! As other reviewers have mentioned, the internet does somewhat leave a lot to be desired, but I had this included in my room rate as I was a conference guest. If I had paid the VERY high prices to use it I would have been VERY disappointed.

The restaurant food is lovely and the breakfast as mentioned in other reviews is very good!

Front desk staff were always very helpful, but service could be better in places as we were left waiting a few times to be seated in the restaurant. The C&B staff could be a little slow with helping us out and some of the business centre staff were pretty surly, but overall I was happy and would spend my own money here!

Dear Mr Adam L.,

Mr Adam L, we are delighted to see that you thoroughly enjoyed your time with us and I would like to thank you for bringing to our attention your experience made. It is feedback like yours which always makes all efforts truly worthwhile, and always will help us to further improve on our service levels.

Please be assured that we all are looking forward to welcoming you back again to the Hilton Sandton in the near future.

Heidi Kleine-Moeller I Director of Operations
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

I tend to be fairly low maintenance when it comes to hotels. I'm just expecting a bed, a clean room, a shower and an Internet Connection.

This hotel is a fairly standard / Average Hilton with what you can expect more or less. However there is a big exception.

The Internet connections is expensive (170 Rands), and more importantly super ridiculously slow to the point of being unusable....

I would say as a business traveller I can't envision coming back because of the impact in terms of productivity.

I don't mind paying for Internet, but I would expect decent bandwidth.

Heidi K, Manager at Hilton Sandton, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Dear Mr/Ms Jdemay

First of all I would like to thank you for choosing to stay at the Hilton Sandton and secondly for sharing your valuable and honest feedback with us. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their wellbeing very seriously and always hope to meet and exceed our guests’ expectations. Hence we greatly appreciate any comments made by you.

With regards to the internet services, you might be aware that this service is provided by an outside company and we are indeed in the process of finalizing a new contract with a new internet provider, which will include an increase of our bandwidth as well as complementary internet in our public area. We currently are expecting the changeover to the providers to be completed end of January 2014.

Mr/Ms Jdemay, I would like to thank you once more for bringing to our attention your concerns and honest feedback. Please believe me, it comments like yours which always makes all efforts truly worthwhile.

We all are looking forward to welcoming you back again to the Hilton Sandton in the near future. If I can be of any assistance for you in the meantime, please do contact me at any given time. It will be always a pleasure to assist.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

Poor Service. Staff not attentive. Internet very slow. Gym equipment old and not functioning. Executive Lounge service poor. Check in took an extremely long time. I usually stay at the Radison at Gau Train where the service is extremely good. I was forced to give up my room due to Mandela's funeral and had to go to the Hilton. Faced an extremely poor and below standard quality of service

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Mr Pradeepkarunagaran,

First of all I would like to thank you for choosing to stay at the Hilton Sandton and at the same time for sharing your valuable feedback with us. Hilton prides itself with guests like you having the feeling of being at home while away from home. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their wellbeing very seriously and always hope to meet our guests’ expectations.

Mr Pradeepkarunagaran, however, it is obvious by your rating and comments that we failed to do so during your entire stay, and you have my humble apologies. I see that you were very disappointed with your check in and felt that our front office team member did not meet your needs, and I would like to convey my sincerest apologies for any inconvenience and frustrations caused for you.

It is with great concern to read that obviously you were not satisfied with the executive lounge team members, during your recent stay with us. I would highly appreciate if you could elaborate a little further on why you feel this way and what brought you this decision, in order for us to investigate the matter and to put corrective measures into place.

Thank you for bringing to our attention the noise the toilet makes when opening the hot water tap. Please note that this has been reported out our engineering department who has looked into the matter.

Regarding to the Fitness I would like to inform you, that we are indeed looking at refurbishing our Fitness Centre it in near future. Unfortunately I am not able to provide a year yet, but it has been under serious discussion.

Mr Pradeepkarunagaran, with regards to the internet services, you might be aware that this service is provided by an outside company and we are in the process of finalizing a new contract with a new internet provider, which will include an increase of our bandwidth and complementary internet in our public area. We currently are expecting the changeover to the providers to be completed end of January 2014.

I truly regret any inconvenience caused to you. Though I am not able to undo the negative impression, I would highly appreciate if you would give us another chance to prove to you, that we can do much better than what you recently have experienced with us.

Please be assured that we do look forward to a continued relationship with you, and we all are looking forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Sandton in sunny South Africa in the near future.

In the meantime, if I can be of any further assistance for you, please do contact me at any given time. It will be always my pleasure to assist.

World-wide Traveller
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

Likes:
1) Very helpful and cheerful staff everywhere (except for the business lounge); I give a particular mention to the honest cleaning lady who recovered the camera I had forgotten in my room while checking out for the weekend.
2) Superb breakfast: large buffet with freshly prepared juices, and the fresh bread is to die for. Even though it may be busy, the breakfast ladies will do their best to help you with a smile.
3) Nice garden and pool.
4) Decent room size, shower and bath, nice decoration, practical power plugs, comfortable bedding.
Warnings (if you are not HH Gold or Diamond):
5) Internet is an expensive ZAR 170 for 24 hours, and not especially fast.
6) The Business Lounge is the poorest I have ever found in any Hilton: small, lack of design, no music, repetitive unimaginative food, and no helpful staff to welcome you. As diamond I have free access and after a few miserable visits, decided to stop going there.
Dislikes:
7) Room service: it is not too expensive, but food is poor; I eat better that a Premier Inn.
8) Soundproofing: in one room, the vacuum between the carpet and the lower door edge is so large that I could insert my foot between; the windows are blocked but not sealed, and let all the noise from the highway or the security guards talking loud at 6 am inside; and the walls are made of cardboard: if your neighbor decides to watch CNN, you will watch it with him; if he talks on the phone, you can hear everything. I am used to the unwelcome noise of side rooms in hotels, but that poor building failure to guarantee a quiet environment to the guests is totally unworthy the good name of Hilton.

Room Tip: My best bet against the street noise were rooms ending by "15", "16" (I think it...
Dear Mr/Ms JeanLouisV

Mr/Ms JeanLouisV, however it is obvious by your comments that we failed to do so during your stay with us, and you have my humble apologies. I convey my sincerest apologies for any inconvenience and frustrations caused for you with the noise levels from the corridors and from the room next to you, and it has been taken already in consideration for our next refurbishment to come in the near future.

It is with great concern to read that obviously you were not satisfied with our room service, therefore I would highly appreciate if you could elaborate a little further on what brought you this decision, in order for us to investigate the matter and to put corrective measures into place.

MrMs JeanLouisV, with regards to the internet services, you might be aware that this service is provided by an outside company and we are in the process of finalizing a new contract with a new internet provider, which will include an increase of our bandwidth and complementary internet in our public area. We currently are expecting the changeover to the providers to be completed end of January 2014.

I truly regret any inconvenience caused to, however please be assured that we do look forward to a continued relationship with you, and we all are looking forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Sandton in sunny South Africa in the near future.

Canterbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

I have stayed here twice and found the staff to be friendly and attentive. The rooms are good, food good and pool excellent.

Good location for the Sandton business area and shopping Mall. Very short taxi ride from the Gautrain station. The security chaps outside the station will help you get a safe cab.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Mr LarryLB,

Mr LarryLB, we are delighted to see that you thoroughly enjoyed your time with us and I would like to thank you once more for bringing to our attention the great service you had received from our team members and it will be my absolute pleasure to share the same with the team accordingly. It is feedback like yours which always makes all efforts truly worthwhile.

HEIDI KLEINE MOELLER I Director of Operations

Been to Hilton Sandton? Share your experiences!