“Massive let down - they did everything to discourage my return” 1 of 5 stars

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
The Senate Lounge
Cnr. Rivonia Road and Maude Str | Village Walk Shopping Centre, Sandton, South Africa
Improve this listing
Ranked #90 of 120 Restaurants in Sandton
Cuisines: Coffee Shop
Durban
“Massive let down - they did everything to discourage my return”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

I discovered the Senate earlier in 2011 and they'd not been open long at the time. I dined there alone (on a business trip) and the waiter and owner/manager were very attentive. Fitted to a high standard with comfortable chairs/sofas and the seating arranged in comfortable & cosy arrangements the place lends itself to unwinding, relaxing and just plain chilling. I thoroughly enjoyed my evening and thought "what a great place - they'll really do well!"

Not so this time 'round (Sep '11). On arrival I ask to be seated in the lounge area (as per my 1st visit). I was told it's only for VIP guests and was shown to the bar. The place was empty. I declined and only as I was leaving did the waiter relent and offer me a seat in the lounge. I was joined by a client and colleague after a few minutes and things went downhill. From not being able to mix a basic drink, fumbling with wine, ice & glasses and taking too long to serve/take orders, the waiting staff seemed either completely untrained or determined to give us their worst.

To eat, we simply wanted a burger (on the menu and on the "Specials" exceprt). "No burgers". So toasted sandwich then, on white. "No white." Ok, on brown then, with the side salad (as per menu). On being delivered, "no side salad". Why not? "We have no salad ingredients!" Call the chef. Chef apologises, disappears, and returns with a salad! Huh!

Bring on the cockroaches. One runs across the floor. Another runs up my chair. Client screeches, downs the last sip of wine and we leave, never to return again. Oh, and still no sign of any other patrons or VIPs.

• Visited September 2011