“Nice place, poorly managed” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel

You added Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel to your Saves list
Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Corner of Rivonia Road & West Street, Sandton 2196, South Africa   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan ahead and save 20%
Ranked #10 of 47 Hotels in Sandton
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Nice place, poorly managed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I was at this hotel about a year ago, and all was well. But this time things have taken a turn for the worse.

Upon check in, there was no one at the reception desks. A security ran about looking for someone until eventually someone showed. I got to my room, took a shower, and started noticing the water rising due to a blocked drain. The next day I went down to reception to redeem my parking ticket, and once again, no one at the desks. Eventually a man appeared who nonchalantly handed me a ticket to use to exit the parking structure. When I got to the parking structure exit, the machine said invalid ticket. Sure enough the ticket was one month old, soon security arrived and the end result was I had to leave my car at the gate and walk back through the parking structure to get a correct ticket.

There is a speaker in the rooms ceiling which I learnt was used for fire alerts etc. but this speaker had a load buzzing white noise coming out of it all the time. I called maintenance who came and said there is nothing they can do about it, and it had also been reported a week before.

One can sense that complacency has set in, and this hotel is no longer trying to offer a good service to its clients. That, or it is being poorly managed, and the core values are not treakling down to the staff. There are cheaper hotels in Sandton that do a lot better. If not for a premium service experience, I see no reason to pay a premium for this hotel as it does not offer anything materially better than the competitors, but far worse service.

Room Tip: Ask if the speaker in the roof is making a noise, and insist on it being fixed, it will annoy you wh...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Radisson Blu Ga... M, General Manager at Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear MFO_CT
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor regarding your experience.
It is disappointing to read that you did not receive the quality service that Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel has become known for. For failing to deliver this service, I apologize on behalf of all at Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel. We will most certainly investigate the approach and manner of our team members towards our guest and remedy as required. I assure you that all team members at Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel appreciate the importance of our guests and value the support received. I invite you to contact me directly if you wish to discuss.
Kind Regards
Acting General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Chateauneuf de Grasse, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

My third hotel in as many weeks in Sandton, and by far the best. Free fast wifi Internet access made business easy. Very comfortable room, efficient staff, good breakfast and perfectly located across the road from the Gautrain station. This will definitely be my first choice when I return to Jo'burg.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear maccaspooksralu
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel with fellow travelers. We are pleased to read that your experience was positive and that we met the standard with regards to service, amenities and location. We look forward to welcoming you back to Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Arrived on a Friday afternoon, and didn't have to wait more than 15 minutes (fast for Africa) to check in. Room was pretty standard for a business hotel, although the decor is a little weird. The security at the hotel is so tight that I found out the hard way that one cannot access another floor to, say, visit a friend. And don't try walking down from the gym - there are no handles on any of the exit doors until you get to the main floor - a long way down. Gym has all the standard equipment, minus the machines for lifting - free weights only. Breakfast buffet (included in the price of the room) was very good. Concierge was very helpful in getting me a hair appointment at the nearby Sandton Mall. No business center per se - there are two laptops located in an open area that require swiping with a credit card to access the internet, and no printers. It is too bad they couldn't somehow link the internet access that comes with the room to these public computers.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Radisson Blu Ga... M, General Manager at Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear ZengSiXin
Thank you for the review, and the kind comments. We understand that the access procedures onto guest floors may seem a bit extreme, but we are sure that you along many other travelers will appreciate that we place the safety of our guests as a high priority. Your comments regarding printing service for in-house guest directly from their tablet/laptop is appreciated and I can advise that we are looking into various solutions for this. We are pleased to see that our colleagues maintained a high standard of guest service and were able to assist you with your requirements. We look forward to welcoming you back to Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel in the near future.
West Chester, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

Arrived late to the location and the hotel was overbooked-no rooms-despite having a reservation. It seems that some conference attendees had decided to stay some extra days. I am not sure why this was allowed leading to the overbooking. Poor management of the hotel is my conclusion.This impression was reinforced repeatedly during our stay. We had arrived after 14 hours of traveling with no available rooms. We were moved to the sister Radisson location 200 meters away. Nice enough place, but when we asked for a small compensation for our troubles of being able to use the excellent gym at the sister Radisson for the week of our stay, we were given the brush off. There was no effort to make their mistake right.
Small additional points-the fridge in the room was dirty and not stocked with any minibar items upon arrival. The room was also not well cleaned and we found an attractive artificial nail of the previous customer on the floor. I assume there was some invisible DNA littering the room as well, but we don't travel with our CSI kit.
Bottom line-it is a fine hotel if nothing unusual is requested. There seemed to be no one in authority from management who took complaints seriously and tried to rectify problems.
Very disappointing experience. ..

• Stayed April 2013
Radisson Blu Ga... M, General Manager at Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear rangyhulu
Thank you for your review regarding your experience at our hotel.On behalf of the team our sincere apology that we did not honor your booking. We regret that our "making it right" philosophy was not enacted by our team members in an effort to make an already unpleasant experience less so. Many lessons have been learned from this most unfortunate incident and will be used to enhance our guest experience. Be assured that we value all guests and it certainly was not intentional to inconvenience you, unfortunately the situation left no alternative option. I hope that you accept our apology and will grant us the opportunity to "make it right" in future.
Minneapolis, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Good bed, good shower, nice towels and clean, good wifi and large safe. What more do you need? Hotel staff was very nice and responded to most of my needs very quickly. (I was here fro two weeks for work.)

Quirky: security demands two elevators to get to room (as do many hotels). security demands you use your card to get to your room (and only works on your floor), OK except my card deactivated many times. Housekeeping staff did a nice job, but the "culture" of the hotel is to put everything back every day. Leave my shampoo alone and stop putting all the stuff you keep on the desk back on the desk. (personal issue, not really a complaint.) If you are here with a large meeting, there are not enough elevators to get people up and down quickly.

Hotel food was pretty good, breakfast had many options. Madela square is easy to get to, but security issues (reminded time and time again) made it a little less comfortable to get out. Transport via hotel is efficient and expensive.

Bathrooms are, as someone mentioned a bit of an issue when you share a room, but I did love that shower.

Room Tip: Current construction on back side is not horrible, but noticable.
Dear Minneapolis_MNRocky
We are pleased to read that you enjoyed your time at Radisson Blu Gautrain. We appreciate that some of the security features that we have within the hotel may seem odd or an inconvenience but be assure you these are always with our guest safety in mind. Thank you for highlighting one of our unique design features, the shower. We are glad to see that along with many other guests you enjoyed the unique nature of this design. Our proximity to Nelson Mandela Square is indeed a bonus for any guest, we do wish all guest to have a safe experience and thus remind them to always be vigilant. We look forward to welcoming you back to Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel in the near future.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

Amazingly I had an almost identical experience to a previous reviewer. Arrived off to long flight from New York only to be told that there was no room at the hotel. Initially I had waited for five minutes at the so cold reception at street level where there was nobody . Finally I asked and they told me that the reception on the third floor My reservation had been made weeks before but clearly the hotel overbooked and had no training to cope with such situation. Afterwaiting for over 2hour and questioning what was to happen I was told that I would have to go to another hotel. I was clearly not happy as they said that I may need to split my three night stay as they had no rooms. Eventually after three hours I was given a room and an apology. You know this hotel is not managing their reservation policy professionally and I will not stay here again. Annoyingly like many hotels the room had strange lighting and a lack of international electrical plugs. Unfortunately the cooked breakfast was also disappointing. Very basic problems such as cold plates and inadequately cooked food waiting under lights. Basically a luke warm precooked breakfast. This is far from the standard that I am used to and I will be complaining to Radisson about the booking mess.
You can see that despite excessive staffing standards here are below what they should be.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear Innesant
Our sincere apology for the poor experience you had at Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel. Your comments regarding the reception and breakfast staff are noted, thank you. We appreciate that arriving at our hotel and being advised that no room is available, is unacceptable especially if no adequate alternate arrangements or proper notifications sent. Be assured that we value all guests and it certainly was not intentional to inconvenience you, unfortunately the situation left no alternative option. I hope that you accept our apology and will grant us the opportunity to "make it right" in future.
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Booked 7 weeks ago. arrived late at night from airport to be told that the hotel was full and that I was being put up at the Park Inn, a very inferior hotel nearby. No explanation as to why I was "bumped", nobody had bothered to contact me in advance; no compensation of any kind. Avoid

Dear GILESH681
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. It is most regrettable that Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel did not to showcase itself in the best possible light or deliver the level of service expected from us. Be assured that we value all guests and it certainly was not intentional to inconvenience you, unfortunately the situation left no alternative option. I hope that you accept our apology and will grant us the opportunity to "make it right" in future.
Acting General Manager

Been to Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel? Share your experiences!