“Flawless” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel

You added Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel to your Saves list
Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Corner of Rivonia Road & West Street, Sandton 2196, South Africa   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan ahead and save 20%
Ranked #12 of 48 Hotels in Sandton
Chateauneuf de Grasse, France
“Flawless”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

My third hotel in as many weeks in Sandton, and by far the best. Free fast wifi Internet access made business easy. Very comfortable room, efficient staff, good breakfast and perfectly located across the road from the Gautrain station. This will definitely be my first choice when I return to Jo'burg.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Radisson Blu Ga... M, General Manager at Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear maccaspooksralu
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel with fellow travelers. We are pleased to read that your experience was positive and that we met the standard with regards to service, amenities and location. We look forward to welcoming you back to Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel.
Acting General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Arrived on a Friday afternoon, and didn't have to wait more than 15 minutes (fast for Africa) to check in. Room was pretty standard for a business hotel, although the decor is a little weird. The security at the hotel is so tight that I found out the hard way that one cannot access another floor to, say, visit a friend. And don't try walking down from the gym - there are no handles on any of the exit doors until you get to the main floor - a long way down. Gym has all the standard equipment, minus the machines for lifting - free weights only. Breakfast buffet (included in the price of the room) was very good. Concierge was very helpful in getting me a hair appointment at the nearby Sandton Mall. No business center per se - there are two laptops located in an open area that require swiping with a credit card to access the internet, and no printers. It is too bad they couldn't somehow link the internet access that comes with the room to these public computers.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Radisson Blu Ga... M, General Manager at Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear ZengSiXin
Thank you for the review, and the kind comments. We understand that the access procedures onto guest floors may seem a bit extreme, but we are sure that you along many other travelers will appreciate that we place the safety of our guests as a high priority. Your comments regarding printing service for in-house guest directly from their tablet/laptop is appreciated and I can advise that we are looking into various solutions for this. We are pleased to see that our colleagues maintained a high standard of guest service and were able to assist you with your requirements. We look forward to welcoming you back to Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel in the near future.
West Chester, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

Arrived late to the location and the hotel was overbooked-no rooms-despite having a reservation. It seems that some conference attendees had decided to stay some extra days. I am not sure why this was allowed leading to the overbooking. Poor management of the hotel is my conclusion.This impression was reinforced repeatedly during our stay. We had arrived after 14 hours of traveling with no available rooms. We were moved to the sister Radisson location 200 meters away. Nice enough place, but when we asked for a small compensation for our troubles of being able to use the excellent gym at the sister Radisson for the week of our stay, we were given the brush off. There was no effort to make their mistake right.
Small additional points-the fridge in the room was dirty and not stocked with any minibar items upon arrival. The room was also not well cleaned and we found an attractive artificial nail of the previous customer on the floor. I assume there was some invisible DNA littering the room as well, but we don't travel with our CSI kit.
Bottom line-it is a fine hotel if nothing unusual is requested. There seemed to be no one in authority from management who took complaints seriously and tried to rectify problems.
Very disappointing experience. ..

• Stayed April 2013
Radisson Blu Ga... M, General Manager at Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear rangyhulu
Thank you for your review regarding your experience at our hotel.On behalf of the team our sincere apology that we did not honor your booking. We regret that our "making it right" philosophy was not enacted by our team members in an effort to make an already unpleasant experience less so. Many lessons have been learned from this most unfortunate incident and will be used to enhance our guest experience. Be assured that we value all guests and it certainly was not intentional to inconvenience you, unfortunately the situation left no alternative option. I hope that you accept our apology and will grant us the opportunity to "make it right" in future.
Minneapolis, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Good bed, good shower, nice towels and clean, good wifi and large safe. What more do you need? Hotel staff was very nice and responded to most of my needs very quickly. (I was here fro two weeks for work.)

Quirky: security demands two elevators to get to room (as do many hotels). security demands you use your card to get to your room (and only works on your floor), OK except my card deactivated many times. Housekeeping staff did a nice job, but the "culture" of the hotel is to put everything back every day. Leave my shampoo alone and stop putting all the stuff you keep on the desk back on the desk. (personal issue, not really a complaint.) If you are here with a large meeting, there are not enough elevators to get people up and down quickly.

Hotel food was pretty good, breakfast had many options. Madela square is easy to get to, but security issues (reminded time and time again) made it a little less comfortable to get out. Transport via hotel is efficient and expensive.

Bathrooms are, as someone mentioned a bit of an issue when you share a room, but I did love that shower.

Room Tip: Current construction on back side is not horrible, but noticable.
Dear Minneapolis_MNRocky
We are pleased to read that you enjoyed your time at Radisson Blu Gautrain. We appreciate that some of the security features that we have within the hotel may seem odd or an inconvenience but be assure you these are always with our guest safety in mind. Thank you for highlighting one of our unique design features, the shower. We are glad to see that along with many other guests you enjoyed the unique nature of this design. Our proximity to Nelson Mandela Square is indeed a bonus for any guest, we do wish all guest to have a safe experience and thus remind them to always be vigilant. We look forward to welcoming you back to Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel in the near future.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

Amazingly I had an almost identical experience to a previous reviewer. Arrived off to long flight from New York only to be told that there was no room at the hotel. Initially I had waited for five minutes at the so cold reception at street level where there was nobody . Finally I asked and they told me that the reception on the third floor My reservation had been made weeks before but clearly the hotel overbooked and had no training to cope with such situation. Afterwaiting for over 2hour and questioning what was to happen I was told that I would have to go to another hotel. I was clearly not happy as they said that I may need to split my three night stay as they had no rooms. Eventually after three hours I was given a room and an apology. You know this hotel is not managing their reservation policy professionally and I will not stay here again. Annoyingly like many hotels the room had strange lighting and a lack of international electrical plugs. Unfortunately the cooked breakfast was also disappointing. Very basic problems such as cold plates and inadequately cooked food waiting under lights. Basically a luke warm precooked breakfast. This is far from the standard that I am used to and I will be complaining to Radisson about the booking mess.
You can see that despite excessive staffing standards here are below what they should be.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear Innesant
Our sincere apology for the poor experience you had at Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel. Your comments regarding the reception and breakfast staff are noted, thank you. We appreciate that arriving at our hotel and being advised that no room is available, is unacceptable especially if no adequate alternate arrangements or proper notifications sent. Be assured that we value all guests and it certainly was not intentional to inconvenience you, unfortunately the situation left no alternative option. I hope that you accept our apology and will grant us the opportunity to "make it right" in future.
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Booked 7 weeks ago. arrived late at night from airport to be told that the hotel was full and that I was being put up at the Park Inn, a very inferior hotel nearby. No explanation as to why I was "bumped", nobody had bothered to contact me in advance; no compensation of any kind. Avoid

Dear GILESH681
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. It is most regrettable that Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel did not to showcase itself in the best possible light or deliver the level of service expected from us. Be assured that we value all guests and it certainly was not intentional to inconvenience you, unfortunately the situation left no alternative option. I hope that you accept our apology and will grant us the opportunity to "make it right" in future.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I had booked a room months in advance at the Radisson Blu Gautrain, but apparently, a reservation doesn't mean anything at this hotel. When I arrived, I was coldly received a man named Chad. After pulling up the wrong booking, he conferred with another staff member who told me that the hotel was overbooked.

Apparently, a large group extended their stay. Instead of telling them that they couldn't extend or needed to move, the management at the hotel decided to inconvenience everyone else instead. I was forced to wait for well over an hour while they tried to figure out what to do with me. They told me that I had to take a room at the Radisson Blu Sandton down the road, and they gave me no other options. They even cancelled my reservation without asking me. Then they told me that I had to wait for a shuttle to get to the other hotel. Well, that shuttle never showed up, so a staff member decided to drive me. To say that my experience was disappointing is an understatement. Overall, it was a frustrating experience that wasted much of my evening. A complete disaster.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Radisson Blu Ga... M, General Manager at Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear Othello491
Our sincere apology for the inconvenience caused to yourself due to the unavailability of your reserved room on arrival. We do understand the distressed caused to you, having done all that was required to secure accommodation and to be let down by us. Reading your review it is apparent the contingency plans that were put in place did not work as planned or were not clearly explained, again my apology and assurance that I will follow up with the team. Please know that we value all guests and it certainly was not intentional to inconvenience you, unfortunately the situation left no alternative option. I hope that you accept our apology and will grant us the opportunity to "make it right" in future.
Kind Regards
Acting General Manager

Been to Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel? Share your experiences!