“Finally ...great business hotel in Sandton” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel

You added Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel to your Saves list
Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Corner of Rivonia Road & West Street, Sandton 2196, South Africa   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan ahead and save 20%
Ranked #12 of 48 Hotels in Sandton
Dubai
“Finally ...great business hotel in Sandton”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Found the hotel brilliant in terms of location and room quality. Free internet is a great additional service. Parking is a bit of a hassle and the walls between rooms allows noises to come through. The bathroom was a very good size though had some drainage issue with the sink. Cant really fault the hotel and at the rate I go on the net, well worth the money!!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Bernard T, Rooms Division manager at Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel, responded to this review, September 14, 2011
Dear ZMR

Thank you for taking the time to comment regarding your stay with us at Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel. We appreciate all forms of feedback and appreciate you highlighting the problems experienced with drainage and noise from adjacent rooms. Please be assured that these matters are being addressed.

We are pleased to advise that we are in the process of upgrading our internet system, thus making Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel a market leader in the provision of not only free but fast, reliable internet access to all registered guest and conference delegates.

We trust that your positive experience at Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel will be the start of a long and positive relationship.

Kind Regards
Rooms Division Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Worcester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

I accompanied my husband on a business treip from England and if I say to you I was really put off by the thought of an eleven hour trip its topped there! The hotel and facilities are amazing as are the staff who are very courteous and extremly helpful. Being on my own, (whilst my husband worked) in a place I had never visited before was initially scary but my fears were soon forgotten with my visit to the near by Nelson Mandela Square and shopping centre. Infact I have become a complete shopaholic and sitting in the square enjoying a cup of tea in the Spring sunshine has been an absolute delight! The accommodation at the hotel is second to none and the gym, which I used every day is free to hotel guests (entry by hotel room key only!) is excellent, providing clean towels and chilled water, The restaraunt is very good value for money and I would recommend that whilst Nelson Mandela Squareand restaurants are good to visit in the day guests to the Blue Gutrain would be much better of enjoying the fabulous food in the hotel restaurtant which is excellent value for money and is, (from my experience of eating in many high class restaurants around the world) is high class restaurant dinning at an exeptional value for money dinning experience. The hotel staff are very attentive and nothing is too much trouble for them. An absolute pleasure to experience when the country I come from is suffering from lathergy and a couldn't care lessness attitude towards others! I would move to S. Africa tommorow and more the point I would certainly stay at the Radisson Blu Gautrain for ever!!!!! Everything ypu see and read on the hotel website is fact , (and I am am critical!) and it was so lovely after an eleven hour flight to be able to use the fantastic rail service and see the hotel directly opposite Sandton railway exit as per the hotel website. The hotel is in such a convinenant position and so close to the shops and only one stop away by train to Rosebank, which has a great African market on Sundays and has got to be visitied for all those cheap take home souviners and gifts. I just hope I can return soon!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Bernard T, Rooms Division Manager at Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel, responded to this review, August 22, 2011
Dear Valued Guest

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay with us. Thank you for your kind comments regarding the service received and the hotel facilities. Comments such as yours go a long way in motivating all staff to continue to deliver exceptional service to our guests.

On behalf of our entire staff here at the Radisson Blu we would like to thank you for your business and we hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the area!

Regards
Leicester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

I visit SA quite frequently, the train from the airport to sandton is great so I thought I'd stay here due to it's vacinity to the train station, unfortunately I won't be returning.

I was kindly upgraded to the 9th floor and they checked me in early, but the 9th floor proved to be far too noisy as there is a function room just above it and on both nights it seemed to turn into a nightclub. I was only in ZA for two nights, so needless to say my priority is for a decent nights sleep, and load music doesn't let this happen! I moved rooms down to the 5th floor at 1am on the first night, the room I then had was also noisy, the air con seemed to be stuck on. I told reception the next day but when I returned for my second night the problem was still there. The problems didn't stop there, at 6am the smell of breakfast was coming into my room (broken air con I guess?).

I should also say that on my first morning at breakfast there were no seats free, people were having to stand around waiting for a seat to become free. I do not expect this level of service especially for the price they charge.

.... looks like the manager has been busy of late replying to negative reviews on here. If the manager reads this, please do not insult me by replying and making excuses as I won't be returning.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Radisson Blu Ga... M, General Manager at Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Good Day,

Firstly we would like to thank you for staying at the Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel when you visited Johannesburg.

We would like to apologies for the delay in response to your Trip Advisor review, we have just recently changed team and we have new management as well as hotel practices in place.

When you visit Johannesburg again please use the Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel as your hotel of choice and come and experience what "Yes I Can" service is really about.

South Africa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

Stayed at this hotel on a business trip. Staff are arrogant and unhelpful. They charge you a fortune but they cant even give you a smile. I was also over overcharged for parking but after i disputed they reversed it. I requested a late checkout, just needed an hour extra and it was refused...

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Bernard T, Rooms Division Manager at Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel, responded to this review, August 10, 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comment regarding your stay with us at Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel.
On behalf of the entire staff here at the Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel, I wish to apologize for the unfortunate experience at our hotel. We wish to assure you that your experience is certainly not indicative of our "Yes I Can" service concept and the high standards to which we strive and hold ourselves. We wish to retain you as a guest and therefore I am happy to discuss problems you experienced, please feel free to contact me directly so that we can ensure a memorable stay in future.

Yours In Hospitality

Accra
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2011

There are two Radisson Blu hotels in a very close proximity, and for those staying at the Gautrain location, this is our experience:

1. Poor service
2. No information in the room about all the services and facilities
3. Dysfunctional bathroom
4. Poor, poor, poor food
5. Difficulties with starting internet
6. But great location for those on the go

For a hotel with a bold slogan like 'yes we can', this is really poor. And since their location is so convenient, I would expect them to cater to the traveller on the go, but this place has a feel of those funky, trendy new hotels that actually attract a different type of a traveller.

We were offered tea after they booked us into a wrong room, and what do we get - tea for one. If you want to correct things, then do it right at least.

No, I would not recommend this place as there are much better hotels just a minute walk up the street.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your experiences at Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel.

On behalf of our entire staff at the Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel, I wish to apologize for the unfortunate experience at our hotel. Under no circumstance is poor service from staff acceptable. As an international brand which prides itself on service, we thank you for highlighting this area.

As a hotel that caters predominantly to business travelers we understand the importance of free, fast, reliable internet access to our guests. Unfortunately we have experienced problems with our service provider, but are confident that these issues have been resolved.

We are also pleased to advise that we have a new Food and Beverage concept spear headed by award winning chef David Higgs, launching soon. We are sure this new concept will further enhance the guest experience in our hotel.

We wish to retain you as a guest, therefore please feel free to contact me directly should you wish to discuss these and any other topics.

Best Regards

Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2011

I chose this Radisson for my two days business trip in Johannesburg. This property is the newest amongst three Rezidor hotels in the city. The hotel located diagonally across the Sandton Station where the Gautrain from the Airport is terminated. The trip takes approximately 20 minutes, hassle free, and cost 110 ZAR one way ticket as of June 2011.

Although I travel a lot, I did not feel like to walk in the city of Johannesburg by myself. However, from the hotel you can go up hill 400 meters by feet to Mandela Square where Sandton City Shopping Centre is located. There are food courts and a big supermarket called ‘Checkers Hyper’ to suit your need (at the European price of course). There is also a courtesy shuttle service in case you do not wish to walk.

Henrietta was the lady at the front desk. She was kind and professional. My room was clean, quiet, and has all what I need in a hotel away from home. Breakfast was good, but the only drawback was my ‘cup of tea’ which was not as easy to get as it sound. I tried to ask twice to the same waiter who finally used his index finger to wave at me from distance and point that he was busy chatting with his friend in the corner and I was annoying him. I laughed at myself, but I gave one last try before quitting my breakfast, this time with a lady who finally brought one to me, my morning cup of tea.

The important part of my report is about a housekeeping lady who I met at the front door of my room. She was there but did not allow me to enter my room. She looked at me and asked if this was my room, which I replied yes. Despite of what I said, she closed the door and look at me. I inserted my keycard to open the door, and then with smile she said ‘Welcome Back Sir’. She was very apologetic to have shut the door at my face like that as she had to verify if I was the right person who occupied this room. She said in case the door would not open with the keycard I had in hand, she would have to call the security, even thought nobody can come up on the floor without the keycard to operate the elevator.

Indeed, whatever the reputation of Johannesburg is, at least I can feel safe staying in here. Her name badge printed ‘Veronica’ and I think she deserved to be heard of her action to make a hotel guest like me feel safe in this hotel.

I reported this directly to the General Manager. He was very happy about his staff performance. In my opinion, apart from what happened with my cup of tea, I think he did a very good job in running this hotel.

I will definitely choose to stay here again at my next visit in Johannesburg.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, ask for high floor!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo

Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

When booking my trip to Johannesburg, I came across this new hotel, and after looking it over, decided it was worth a shot over the usual hotels I stay at in Joburg. The biggest selling point, of course, was the hotel's location across the street from the new Gautrain station and 3 blocks away from Sandton City and Nelson Mandela Square. Being it was my first time riding the Gautrain, I was incredibly impressed from the start - a safe, clean, cheap ride from JNB to Sandton, and it only took 15 minutes to top it off!

After ascending to street level, I walked across the street, and walked in to my hotel. The front desk staff, and indeed, all the hotel staff that I dealt with during my stay were very friendly, professional, and proficient at helping guests with any issues that arose. The hotel is very modern (I would expect no less from a hotel that had just opened), both inside and out. The room was fitted with a large screen, flat panel TV, and a station for making tea/coffee, in addition to the large (and comfortable) bed and workspace, along with a lounging chair with an ottoman angled towards the TV. The bathroom had a bath with a separate walk-in shower that allowed one to view the tv as they showered as well.

Out of laziness one day, I decided to try the breakfast buffet at the restaurant, and was not disappointed! There was a large selection with helpful staff always available to help, and the quality of the food was top notch. On the down side, as with all hotel food, this was rather expensive compared to eating out.

I would strongly recommend this hotel to anyone going to Johannesburg intending on staying in the Sandton area. The location across the street from the Gautrain station is fantastic for going to/from the airport, as well as going to other parts of Johannesburg with the new extension that will be opening soon. In addition, the 3 block walk to Nelson Mandela Square/Sandton City is one of the shortest you'll have from a Sandton area hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo

Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel

Been to Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel? Share your experiences!