“Dissapointing” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 44 hotels in Sandton
London, United Kingdom
“Dissapointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

The staff are pleasant but the whole hotel is dissapointing. A modern hotel with a clean simple reception. I had to change my room as not only were the towels dirty but the bathroom bin wasn't emptied. The air conditioning is a waste if time but no one wants to help you sort it out.
I didn't eat at the hotel so can't comment but the bar is expensive and the wine selection limited, which in a country that produces such superb wines is surprising .

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

203 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
San Diego, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Checked in for a 17 night stay - business. I arrived about 4pm and it was almost 8pm before they had a room for me. I had traveled for about 28 hours from Southern California, and the almost 4 hour delay getting some rest was awful. However, after that is said, my remaining experiences have been exceptional. The location is great and in a safe area. The entire staff is helpful, friendly and go "the extra mile." The buffet breakfast is outstanding as is their menu items for lunch or dinner. The pool is small. Their complimentary shuttle service to nearby malls, train station, etc., is excellent. My room is adequate - clean and bright. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel.

London,
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

I stayed at this hotel recently during the hot weather in Joburg. I was allocated a room at 0900 ( my company had paid from the night before ) . The air conditioning in my room was not working. I asked for an engineer to come which he did 3 hours later. The engineer told me he had fixed the air conditioning but it still didnt work. I complained a further 3 times. Each time the reception staff who were completely dissinterested in my problem sent the engineer. Finally at 8pm I demanded to speak to a manager. ( Bettina who is very helpful - thank you ) She organised a new room for me, even though the reception staff had told me the hotel was "fully booked".

The staff are all constantly looking for tips even when they do nothing. At breakfast they didnt even approach me to bring coffee or tea, and they will finish their conversation for several minutes before they help you, even when standing in front of them. Breakfast is served with the doors open and lots of the food was covered in flies. Disgusting.

They lack basic skills in customer service. When you call up room service rather than asking you to wait or call back they just pick up teh phone and hang up. Really shocking service.

As for the rooms they are pleasant enough. About the only good thing about the hotel!

Room Tip: ask for a room on the back ( not near the main road ) bring your own pillow!!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Parkinn118, Front Office Manager at Park Inn Sandton, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Thank you for your valued comments. I would like to assure you that the problems you experienced have been addressed in a serious light with the relevant Department Heads. Let me assure you that this is definately the service that our hotel likes to portray to our most valued guests like yourself.
We certainly however do hope that we are able to welcome you back, sometime to allow you to experience our hotel in a true 'Yes I can' spirit.
Mumbai
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

We stayed for one night at this property during a stop over at Johannesburg. The hotel is good with nice and cosy rooms. Great restaurant with very nice food. We loved everything we ordered and the portions are huge. The location is quite nice and is in one of the safest areas of Johannesburg. I had two issues with the hotel. I had requested for an early check in at 11am like 3 weeks before arrival. I arrived at 1pm and the rooms were still not ready. What pissed me off more was the attitude of the lady at the reception. I told her that we have had a 11 hour long flight and our luggage is lost and requested her to give us a room at the earliest. Unfortunately it made no difference to her. Secondly all the women at the reception area never ever smile. It just makes you feel very unwelcome. I don't know what the problem is. All the other staff including the waiters etc always greet you warmly but the ladies at the reception (I repeat all of them) don't even believe in wishing you good morning. I would have definitely given the hotel a 4 star if it wasn't for them.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Parkinn118, Front Office Manager at Park Inn Sandton, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear Valued guest
We would like to Thank you for your valued comments on your stay. Let me assure you they most certainly will be addressed.
We do however hope that we are able to welcome you back to our hotel, to let you experience the true 'Yes I Can' attitude and warm welcome you deserve.
Harare
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

This hotel is ideal if you want a place for a basic sleep. It has modern facilities and its newly built, but its starting to suffer from signs of neglect albeit its young age. It has a great location if you having meetings in Sandton area, and it is close to the Gautrain and shopping malls. First I booked a transfer from the airport and the driver was late, and said that he was given the call very late by the hotel, despite that I had called quite early to book my transfer. The facilities at the hotel are still fairly new and modern, and the gym is basic but ok for cardio. The restaurant standards have really gone down from my last stay 12 months ago. On the dinner buffet there was fruit salad and cakes but without cream!!! I had to make a request from the chef and after about 10 minutes he brought it. On the breakfast there was very limited selection to choose from especially on the meat. A lady was busy cleaning a few centimetres from my feet while I was having my meal and i found it very disturbing. They need to start taking guests seriously!!!

Room Tip: Choose a room with free WiFi
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for your valued comments which have been addressed with the relevant department heads as for these issues not to happen again . Please let me assure you this is not our usual standard that we like to portray to our guests.
Geneva, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

THE GOOD:
Overall a good hotel. Room was big and modern. Funky modern design. Located in Sandton. Not far from shopping centers. Hotel provides free shuttle to shopping center and restaurants in Sandton.
Service was overall very good. Free wifi was provided for my group! Reception was helpful in booking day trips to Apartheid museum, Lyon Park, etc.
Breakfast had a wide variety of fruits, an egg station, varied bread options and cheese. Lunch and dinner was nothing special. I would suggest exploring restaurants nearby.
THE NOT SO GOOD:
While you are serving your food or eating, people were constantly cleaning the floor and interrupting the already cluttered traffic in the restaurant. Not very hygienic to do this.
Pool is tiny. More like a big jacuzzy. Gym was very basic; but ppl could go to the big Radisson not too far away.
One day while we were having lunch there was a very loud noise. It turns out the terrace outside of the restaurant sunk a bit. There was construction right next door. It made me a bit nervous for the stability of the whole structure. There was a crack on the concrete….

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
We would like to take this opportunity to Thank you for taking the time to send us your valued comments and trust we may welcome you back in the not too distant future.
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

The location of this hotel is very affluent and probably the safest in Jo'burg. Facilities are a bit on basic side but very modern and clean. Hotel bar spills into lobby which spills into lounge area and a restaurant area. Pool area again is basic, a bit small but nicely designed and comfortable for an hour or so, unfortunately positioning of hotel casts a shadow over it for large parts of day. Rooms again are quite basic but nicely modern and clean with a.c. and large flat screen TV. Nice restaurants (steak & Greek) round he corner of hotel are a great asset.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your valued comments.
We trust that we will be able to welcome you back in the not too distant future
Front Office Manager

Been to Park Inn Sandton? Share your experiences!