“One night” 4 of 5 stars

Melbourne, Australia
“One night”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

A very good place !

Central to Mandela Square and eating spots. We had a vast room/suite with living area, balcony and 2 toilets. All was so clean and nice. Staff pleasant/helpful. Nice small cafe for breakfast at very good prices.
Good value for the moderate cost.
I note some very silly & negative comments from a few others. EG; We were helped with our luggage to our upstairs rooms.
We were happy with our stay. Some of the whingers should stay at the Hilton and pay the difference - and then shut up.

Room Tip: Try for a room near the cafe
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

The apartment style hotel had a washer dryer outside the apartments that we could use to wash all of our safari soiled clothes. The apartments were a bit dated and looked tired and weary. We had a lot of trouble with the doorknobs, latches, that won’t open or close. Breakfast was in the coffee shop and was pretty good. The grounds were safe and gated with security. Had good parking space. The internet was only available in the lobby and coffee shop and was very pricy from the room. We could walk to the gautrain station and get to the heart of town. Sandton felt safe. No restaurants around. The beds and linens were clean. The space heaters provided were not adequate.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Cape Town Central, South Africa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

We booked this hotel as we decided to extend our stay at the last minute. The booking was made on the day of check-in and this hotel was one of the few available and extremely well priced for a two bedroom accommodation near Sandton Central. Upon arriving, it appeared that this hotel was preciously a block of flats, now converted into a "lodge".

The building is extremely aged and not the type of accommodation you would expect when staying in this area. The maintenance on the flat was terrible, with carpets and furniture not looking at its cleanest, mould in the corners of the balcony, in the bathroom and in the kitchen, and the bathroom, kitchen and bedrooms terribly outdated. The second bedroom is extremely small, and would be better equipped for one single bed, but they appear to have squeezed in a second.

The reception staff who are purported to be the management are unfriendly and unhelpful. This accommodation is not suitable for anyone with limited mobility or the elderly. You need to walk to your accommodation through an uneven pathway, and climb steep stairs if you are placed on the first floor. Also note that you will be required to move your own luggage and also carry it up the steep stairs. There is no offer at porterage as you usually find and expect, even more so with such layout.

I would recommend that if you want a suite hotel, book at Hydro Park or at Westpoint Suites in Grayston Drive Sandton. Alternatively find accommodation at Sandhurst Towers through a "B&B". I have previously stayed at two of these, and they have a better location and are in a completely different league. This hotel is not in the CBD and not within walking distance of any amenities. There is also 20 West and many other similar accommodation options available at a greater premium.

If you are looking for a traditional hotel, the list is endless and you should not be looking at any of these options. Furthermore, if you require any services expected from a hotel, such as spa, fitness centre, room service, restaurant on sight, travel desk, readily available transport; this is not the accommodation for you.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

My family and I arrived at Glenalmod hotel at 13.30 on Sunday, May 25, 2014. A reservation and a payment were successfully done and a confirmation number was sent to me and to the Hotel. The receptionist was very unfriendly and unprofessional. She told me that she did receive the email with the confirmation but there were an error on the payment. I showed her the email that I had received stating that the payment was successfully done. Children were tired and starved after a long trip. No one invited us to sit while we were waiting for a solution. It was 15.00 when she told me that she had finally received another email and it was ok. She did not apologise or at least said thank you for being so patient or so.
We went to our apartment witch was so far from the main entrance / reception. Main bedroom was good with a toilet but the other bedroom was very narrow with two small beds,. Kitchenette was well equipped and clean.
TV was old and malfunctioning. The remote control was damaged.
Breakfast - poor.
Overall Service - poor.

Staff at the reception is the mirror of the House. It was really a bad Sunday afternoon.
Avoid if necessary!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Harare, Zimbabwe
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Glenalmond Hotel this Easter.The apartments are very spacious,and it felt as if we were at home.Staff at reception were very helpful with all our requests,and we were treated so well from the time we checked in to the time we checked out.The hotel is within walking distance to Sandton city.A taxi from the Sandton Gautrain Station will cost you R70.00 if you have luggage and are unable to carry it all.The neighborhood is extremely peaceful and safe,and there is even a family friendly park nearby.(Mushroom Park)

The units are self catering,and this gives great flexibility with your meals.I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anybody staying in the Sandton area as it offers tremendous value for money in a quality environment.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

Clean, spacious, pleasant self-catering suites, on quiet,well-kept grounds. Sandton Gautrain station, which allows quick and easy access to OR Tambo Airport and elsewhere is about a 20 min walk; if you have much luggage you will need to take a local taxi (R50) though, and check the schedule -- it stops running around 9 pm. There's also a nice park nearby (Mushroom Farm Park) that has outdoor exercise equipment and a playground. Service was generally good.
Of some concern, there was a break and entry and theft from another unit while we were there; management seemed to deal with the incident and the unfortunate guest appropriately, and I didn't get the impression that this was a frequent problem. However, no matter where you stay in Joberg, its best to keep things locked up -- there are safes in the rooms.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Harare, Zimbabwe
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

Firstly when my family and I arrived at this hotel the first impression was really bad. Walking into that room it smelt like no one had stayed in there for years. Having travelled for 26+ hours all I wanted was to have a shower. The floor was so mouldy it made me feel sick I had to wear slippers in there plus the door was in shambles. When I started having a shower the shower head fell on me. DISGRACEFUL!

Furthermore when this hotel was booked we were assured that Wi-Fi would be accessed from the room free of charge and on attempting to connect nothing happened. Calling reception I was answered by a gentleman who told me that for Internet in the room id need to pay R290. On going down to reception I asked the gentleman if he could show me what plans they had. The plan for the price advised was wrong and when I questioned him he argued back with me. I finally paid R250 instead of the price advised beforehand and that wasn't the end of it. We got back to the apartment and tried to connect our laptops and it only took one device. When we called reception again the gentleman accused us for not telling him that we were connecting multiple devices. Nothing on the Internet slip mentioned charges to be per device hence why I didn't see the need to advice so. On seeing that I couldn't get through the rudeness of the guy I asked to see the managers first thing in the morning. The next day I went to reception to check why no one had come to see me. The lady on the desk said she had no idea that this had happened the night before as no one had mentioned it to her. I had to waste half an hour of my holiday time explaining that I had been placed In a pigsty of a room and explain the issue of the Wi-Fi all over again. No incident reports were written which means they wouldn’t care less if we got a concussion. Talk about good management and communication skills. All of this was resolved and we got room moved to a better apartment (and I mean 100 times better).

A few days later we asked housekeeping not to clean our apartment as we were spending the day indoors since it was raining. On attempting to wash the dishes water started spilling from the drain area. We then called reception to send maintenance to come and have a look since we didn’t know what was going on. A guy called Francis came with a lady who started scrapping a pan that was on the stove blaming my family for pouring oil into the drain and therefore blocking it. We tried to explain to her that we had never done the dishes since day one as we just left it for housekeeping to take care of. This lady did not care about that and kept verbally attacking my mum. We then called reception and explained to them that we weren’t comfortable with the behaviour of this lady. The lady was then sent up again and instead of apologising she confronted my mum about calling reception and complaining about her. After this the since was fixed but we didn’t even get any apology or explanation as to why the water was flooding the kitchen.

I could go on forever with how many things went wrong but overall it was a disappointing and waste of 11 days accommodation with my family. There were a few individuals who made us feel at home especially Jack (the French Fellow), the housekeeping lady who came to apartment 22 on Christmas day and Frank from Reception but the rest were really disappointing. I wouldn't come back at all to Glenalmond neither would I recommend it to anyone. It was a great location but there has to be a great review on service. If you do stay at this property just make sure nothing goes wrong with your room as they don’t know how to solve problems in a diplomatic way. Our dignity was stripped open.

Room Tip: Make sure you inspect the rooms before moving in
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Been to Glenalmond Hotel? Share your experiences!