“Great place to stay in Sandton” 4 of 5 stars
Review of DaVinci Hotel and Suites

Save Saved
You added DaVinci Hotel and Suites to your Saves list
DaVinci Hotel and Suites
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 Maude Street | Corner 5th Street, Sandton 2146, South Africa   |
Ranked #4 of 44 hotels in Sandton
“Great place to stay in Sandton”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Travelling to Sandton for business a couple of times per year, I normally stay at the Intercontinental hotel in Sandton. This time, I decided to give the DaVinci hotel a try. And I was absolutely pleased with what I found.
The DaVinci hotel is a very nice hotel, with a good experience from start to finish. I contacted the hotel to arrange a transfer from the airport and was picked up by a friendly driver driving a BMW 3 series. Very convenient way to travel from the airport to the hotel. On arrival bellboys took care of my luggage, while I checked in. As the rest of the staff, also the front desk employees were very friendly and helpful.
My room was a very spacious one with flatscreen tv and open bathroom with bath, seperate shower and toilet. Wifi is free, but not very fast and reliable.
The (24/7) gym is quite small, but has everything you need to do a proper workout. Because of changes in my travel plans I stayed only 1 night instead of the 2 I booked, and was expecting at least some charge for the second night (checking out at 7 p.m.), but only got charged for 1 night. Great service to build good relationships with guests! I'll definitely come agian!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
RuiAntunes, Rooms Division Manager at DaVinci Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Dear Fabio B

I felt very proud of my team while reading your feedback. I thank you for such positive comments. I am truly glad to hear that we have fulfilled your high expectations in terms of services.

Indeed we genuinely try our utmost to please and accommodate all of our guests.

277 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Turkish first
washington D.C.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Am writing this from the DaVinci. Is well situation in Sandton, connected to a very nice mall. Ate dinner at the restaurant last night and it was great. Hotel has a modern look to it crossed with a bit of 1970's decor. Nice sized room and great bathroom, with separate large bathtub and big shower. Free Wifi is excellent. Room was pretty hot but eventually cooled down. People were nice. Hotel is a bit sterile but would possibly stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
RuiAntunes, Rooms Division Manager at DaVinci Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear Doberman32

I am truly pleased to hear that you have had an overall enjoyable experience at the DAVINCI Hotel and Suites. We sorry to hear that the room was hot upon entering, we will definitely look into what may have occurred.

I look forward to your next visit in our centrally located hotel.

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Stayed here for two nights as part of a tour. The hotel is quite new and very modern, with good size rooms, comfortable beds and large bathrooms. The location is also very good, adjacent to a large mall and Nelson Mandela Square.

Breakfast was fine, with plenty of choices of food. It is served in the Maximillien restaurant which is also open for lunch and dinner.

We had dinner in the Maximillien restaurant on only one occasion - and it was very average indeed. I tried a risotto with prawns which was virtually tasteless and my dinner partner ordered salmon, but left most of it on the plate as it was not fresh and tasted off.

That issue aside, we later found out that some of our group returned to their rooms that night to find that they were unable to open the in-room safes as the combinations had been changed. Once they were able to get into the safes, it was found that money had been removed. It seems that only a small amount ($140) was taken from one and $40 from another - two other couples didn't know about the others and some days later, said that they too had problems with the safes and simply put it down to mixing the combinations up.

The matter was reported to the hotel management and it was going to be investigated. At the time of leaving Africa, no reply had been received from the hotel. Given the number of CCTV cameras in the hotel and electronic door card readers, it would not take to much of a serious "investigation" to identify those responsible.

I can only suggest that if you use the in-room safes and leave any cash in them, count your money before you leave the room and when you get back.

Room Tip: Try fro a room off the main road. The air conditioning units for Sandton Mall start up at 4.30am and...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
RuiAntunes, Rooms Division Manager at DaVinci Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, March 30, 2013
Dear HS300

We appreciate your feedback on Trip Advisor and have been liaising with the Tour Operator with regards to the mentioned incident.

Dear

We appreciate your wonderful feedback on Trip Advisor.

We constantly strive to offer the best possible levels of service and your comments are testament to this.

We look forward to once again sharing our warm hospitality with you in the future.

Best Wishes
Rooms Division Manager

Best Wishes
Rooms Division Manager
Bonn, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

We were put up at the Da Vinci hotel earlier this month upon our arrival in Joburg, and looked forward to our stay at a highly rated TripAdvisor accommodation. True, the building interior architecture and design is very appealing. And, true, the staff is courteous and efficient. The breakfast well organized, and the ability to sit al fresco on the restaurant patio makes one's morning. But, the room to which we were assigned is poorly designed and not of a five star rating caliber, leaving much to be desired.

Our suite consisted of a sitting area in which a wall mounted, flat screen TV is placed over a small desk. This transitions to the sleeping area where a king-sized bed is placed opposite another, larger flat screen TV above a dresser. Adjacent to the sleeping area is the bathroom which consists of a full-sized lounging tub, single sink and mirror, wardrobe with supplied robes and slippers, and separate glassed-in toilet and shower areas. The problems we encountered follow.

We could not locate or find a hair dryer for my wife to use. Upon returning from dinner, we asked the consigliere where it would be in the room. After sending a text message, he accompanied us to our room where he said that the hair dryer would be next to the bed. In Africa, everything is hard wired to prevent theft. He opened up the bed stand only to be surprised NOT to find the hair dryer. He then opened every drawer to find it, repeating what we had done, until he opened the desk drawer in the sitting area. There was the hair dryer, in front of the TV, and without a mirror in front of which it could be used.

The other problem we encountered was that when we changed a TV channel on the flatscreen in the sleeping area, the signal was transmitted to the flatscreen in the sitting area. That TV turned on to a music station. We would have to get out of bed, walk to the sitting area and close the TV after we had decided on a channel to watch in the bedroom. But, every time we wanted to find another channel, the remote's signal operated the sitting area TV. A bit of an inconvenience, but certainly not what one expects of a 5-star hotel.

The last bit of frustration we experienced was with the front desk. An agency had booked our room and the billing was to have gone to them. Upon our arrival, though, the desk clerk insisted that this billing arrangement wasn't the case, and required that we debit a credit card for the evening's rate at the time of check in. This mixup was settled the next morning when a representative from the agency accompanied us to the hotel to assure the front desk that the evening's cost would be covered.

Room Tip: Avoid Room 1014 at all costs.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Lopingian Travels,

I thank you for your taking the time to give us your valuable feedback. I apologize for the simple yet basic issues you encountered, all of which could have been avoided. I guarantee that the statement you make in the title of your report, is most definitely not our standard.

Upon arrival in a room, the porter is to room the guest, showing them how everything works and where everything is, including the mirror that is fitted to the underside of the shelf on the table beneath the television. Had this been done we could have avoided the confusion and dissatisfaction you experienced. I have discussed this matter with the Concierge department and Management and we will be putting a re-training program in place to fine tune our rooming service offered on arrival in the room.

Regarding the positioning of the additional television, we will have our technicians look into this and see whether there is not perhaps another option, perhaps changing the frequency to work on another remote control or perhaps reposition the eye to not pick up the remote control for the main television. I thank you for advising us on this as I am in agreement, this is rather frustrating.

Once again we would like to apologies, however I hope that you will give us the opportunity to show you our high level of services on your next visit.

Lagos, Nigeria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Ultra modern hotel, though fully equipped. My husband and I stayed in a single room with our toddler daughter and it was a very nice and relaxing two nights! The breakfast here was absolutely yummy and I would surely return here.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Mrs_IFO

Thank you for your feedback and I was delighted to read that you had a relaxing escape! We are constantly looking at improving our product to ensure the best possible guest experience and am please to let you know we have actually added some additional items onto the Breakfast Buffet since your last visit.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you and your family back soon!

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

A frequent business traveller, my first stay at the DaVinci last November for 11 nights, was an excellent experience and has prompted me to write my first TA review. Excellent location, luxurious rooms and first class service, with very helpful and attentive staff. My wife and son joined me towards the end of my stay and we all agreed it was one of the best hotels we'd ever stayed at and excellent value for money (via hotels.com). My son managed to forget some of his belongings (including a couple of items in his room safe) after we'd checked out and the concierge kindly arranged for these to be forwarded to our next location. Will definitely be returning!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Mr. Paul E

So glad you found the DAVINCI Hotel and Suites as one of the best hotels you have stayed at in and thank you for sharing your experience. Congratulations on on writing your first review and we are pleased you chose to review us on Trip Advisor!

Thank you also for making special mention towards the staff at the hotel, the Team and I are delighted you enjoyed every aspect of your stay.

We all wish you all the best for the New Year and hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

After staying three nights at this superb hotel i have decided to increase my stay for another few days. And with a famiy of seven (3 kids included) it was perfect, the hotel is in the most prime location and vicinity of Sandton. If you are looking at fabulous value and service then this is definately where you shud be staying, be it business or a few days of indulgence. Gym, Pool, Spa, Mall on the third floor we didnt feel the need to go anywher else.

Notable at the reception Nomfundo was always helpfull and Roy the night manager was fantastic when we had a slight concern....

We are already looking forward to coming back later on this year.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Zunait J

Thank you so much for your kind words and for taking the time to provide us with feedback. We are delighted to hear you had a great stay at our Hotel and that we will have the opportunity to host you again in the not too distant future.

I will be sure to share this feedback with Nomfundo, who I am sure will be ecstatic with this review. On my behalf, I am only too happy to offer my assistance where required.

We look forward to welcoming you back to DAVINCI Hotel and Suites.

Warm Regards,
Rui Antunes

Been to DaVinci Hotel and Suites? Share your experiences!