“Great price, some rooms quite noisy, incredibly rude front desk staff.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Garden Court Sandton City

Save Saved
You added Garden Court Sandton City to your Saves list
Garden Court Sandton City
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Cnr West and Maude Streets, Sandton 2196 , South Africa   |
Special Price
10% off room rate
Ranked #11 of 44 hotels in Sandton
Antananarivo, Madagascar
“Great price, some rooms quite noisy, incredibly rude front desk staff.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

The same agent was there for my my check in and check out. She was extremely unfriendly during check in, keyed in the wrong # for my credit card, and she was sick and coughing on everything/everywhere. At checkout, she keyed in the credit card number wrong again, and kept insisting it was the card, I had to call my credit card company on my mobile (international call) for them to tell me that she had keyed in the wrong expiration date. Again she denied it, but gave it one last try - and the card worked. The checkout process took 20 minutes. Again, she was coughing on everything/everywhere. I understand staff gets sick, but if if effects the public, they should not be front desk staff. Not once did she apologize for any inconvenience. I can be pretty understanding but her attitude and no apology was unacceptable.

Also, I tried to call the consierge desk for 15 minutes and could not get an answer. Finally I went down to ask for luggage assistance and it was brought down.
I've stayed at the other Garden Court before (in the same area) and I didn't have these experiences. The location and price are great, but given the service I received, it's doubtful I'll be staying here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
RedLinz, General Manager at Garden Court Sandton City, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear NB - in-MG,

Thank you for your valuable feedback on your recent stay with us. It is appreciated and aids in improving our service offering.
I sincerely apologise for the shocking service received from the receptionist and assure you that we have already taken the necessary action to ensure that this does not occur again.
I have taken all your comments into consideration and ask that you please visit us again when you are next in Sandton. I assure you that you will note a vast improvement in service.

Looking forward to welcoming you back.

325 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I have used and continue to use this hotel for business travels.

The staff go out of their way to accommodate their guests and have yet to encounter any form of unsatisfactory service.

Location is great if want a central point to operate from within JHB.

Would recommend this hotel at all levels - accommodation, service and meals.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Amelia V, Reservations Manager at Garden Court Sandton City, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Thank you for taking time to write a review about your stay at our hotel.
We are very happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Cape Town, Western Cape
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

I often stay at this hotel for business purposes and always enjoy the convenience it offers. A mere 2 minute walk from the Gautrain station and over the road from Sandton City and it's many restaurants and shops. Facilities are clean, breakfast is a standard affair. Be sure to ask for a room on the upper levels far away from elevator for a peaceful nights sleep. Check in is often slow as the staff seem to run on their own schedule. Despite this aspect and the expense (R1200 per night) there is no substitute for the hotel's location and comfort.

Room Tip: Upper levels away from elevators are quieter.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Moonumber2,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It is sincerely appreciated and aids in improving our service.
Please accept my apologies for the slow check in service. I assure you that we are working on improving this.
We also have a complimentary shuttle to the Gautrain station, should you wish to make use of this in the future.

I am looking forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Warm Regards
Gaborone, South-East, Botswana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

Being a bit of a frequent guest since the hotel opened, I believe we've been through two refurbishments. The most significant change I recall from the first refit was, while the bath remained, was the replacement of the original straight shower rail with curved one. Although a small change, the fact that the shower curtain wasn’t sucked in and stuck to your body was a great improvement. The need to weigh-down the corners of the curtain with shampoo bottles if you wanted to avoid flooding the bathroom remained. However, within a few weeks of our previous visit things had radically changed. The second refurbishment has provided a walk-in shower, which is a great improvement as far as I am concerned but less so for my wife, who regrets the demise of the bath. It seems that the price paid for this shower upgrade is a reduction in space between shower and WC. The toilet roll holder is poorly position, making it difficult even for somebody with a normal `BMI’, such as my wife and I, to extract the toilet paper. The original more than ample triangular corner vanity unit has been replaced with what appears to be an interior designer’s aberration. The curved edge of which is very convenient for bottles of expensive perfume with a propensity for suicide to slid off. Less permanent flaws we found were the bathroom light switch was faulty, the lack of the usually ice bucket, broken pedal bin and a panel, under the dressing table, hinged at the bottom that fell open and hit my leg. On the good side; the new bigger television was an improvement and for a change, the air-conditioning worked. Despite my criticism this hotel is a really good place to stay. For the price, the rooms are excellent, the choice of breakfast is good and it is so conveniently located for access to Sandton City.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear David M,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It is sincerely appreciated. I am so glad that you like the new improvements to our bedrooms and bathrooms. I have definitely taken all your comments into account and am ensuring that improvements are made along the way.

I look forward to meeting with you during your next stay.

Antwerp, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Things have not changed (for the better or the worse) since my Dec 2011 visit posting though one tower was closed for refurbishment this time so hopefully will see improved bathrooms on next visit. My main like/dislikes: like that I can get breakfast at 6am and the staff are helpful even though the dining area does not open til 6:30am; dislike the continuing inefficiency of reception staff service.

Have not used Gautrain connection from OR Tambo but close proximity means I will likely try it in the future.

Would I stay here again ? Yes
Would I recommend to friends ? Yes

Dear Family Wu,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Your feedback assists us in ensuring we constantly improve on our service. We are definitely working on ensuring our Reception staff provide the same exceptional service you are used to from the other departments and you will definitely notice an improvement during your next visit. I sincerely apologise for the inefficiencies during your stay.
Our refurbishment is close to completion and you will find the bathrooms to be of great improvement and overall we have a more modern and comfortable hotel. We have uploaded some pictures to give an indication of our new bedrooms.

Looking forward to having you stay with us again.

Great Brak River, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

The advantage of this hotel is that it is centrally located and easily reachable from the airport. You can board the Gautrain at the airport and then it is a short distance to the hotel. The hotel offer a service that will collect and deliver you to the airport as well.

Sandton City shopping mall is literally across the road and there are many restaurant and shops to chose from. If you dine on the square you truelly get a cosmopolitan vibe and you can see the statue of Nelson Mandela!

The rooms are neat and have coffee making facilities. The services offered at reception will cater for every need. Breakfast options are vast and should satisfy most people.

Durban, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Stayed here in November 2012 on a business trip and was pleasantly surprised. The hotel is within walking distance from the Gautrain station but they offer a complimentary shuttle service to the hotel. The rooms are modern and clean with good quality mattresses and pillows. There was a rain shower in my room which was a nice experience. Breakfast is pretty good and the level of service is good.
The hotel is situated opposite The Michelangelo Hotel and you can walk to Sandton City shopping centre (5 minute walk).
You are forced to take undercover parking as there is no parking around the hotel. Will set you back around R40 per night.
All in all a very good business hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Sunny Regards

Been to Garden Court Sandton City? Share your experiences!