“Decent Hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Radisson Blu Hotel Sandton, Johannesburg

You added Radisson Blu Hotel Sandton, Johannesburg to your Saves list
Radisson Blu Hotel Sandton, Johannesburg
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Corner Rivonia Road & Daisy Street, Sandton 2010, South Africa (Formerly Radisson SAS)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan ahead and save 20%
Ranked #15 of 48 Hotels in Sandton
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“Decent Hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

Decent hotel....clean rooms...and great food (the pork ribs are ab-fab)

service is a tad bit slow (the housekeeping took 2 hours and 5 calls to bring the iron and iron board) and the guys at events on the 12th floor are downright awful.... unhelpful and just could not be bothered..... maybe they are (like most banquet staff) casual labours or maybe its just the usual 'Curse of the Unions'

the famous Yes I Can service is advertised everywhere - every staff seems to wear that pin on his lapel - but it is seldom practiced.

Room Tip: probably the higher ones will have a better view
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
General M, Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Sandton, Johannesburg, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Good Day,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor.

I am sorry to hear that you did not experience our unique Yes I Can! Service from all of our employees. We will be looking into this.

I would also like to apologise for the poor service from our banqueting team and will address this with the management involved in that department.

On a positive note it is great to hear that you enjoyed our food and rooms.

We appreciate your feedback and will utilise this to rectify the areas that need improving.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Radisson Blu Hotel Sandton in the near future.

Eirik Bergvoll

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

There are two Radisson Blu hotels within about 400m of one another outside the Gautrain station at Sandton. This one, a little further away, is in a mixed use building that has some benefits (3 level gym and full size swimming pool) but can be a little tiresome to access using two sets of elevators to get from the ground floor to your room.

The rooms are of a good standard, clean, spacious, and the flip side of being so high up is that pretty much everywhere has great views over the city and surrounding areas. Besides the fantastic gym, there's little else in the way of a entities, only one average restaurant and a lobby bar.

The location is fairly good, if you don't mind a short walk to the Gautrain station and shopping mall.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
General M, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Sandton, Johannesburg, responded to this review, May 21, 2014
Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to write about your experience on Trip Advisor. We are also delighted to read that you appreciated our great views and gym.

We sincerely hope to host you in the near future and please follow us on Facebook and Twitter (@RadbluSandton) to stay informed about our hotel.

Manama, Bahrain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

Everything was as expected level except for the activities booking stuff and that's the reasons I did not give it 5 stars. Willingness to book tour was lacking at the transportation desk. We were the one pushing to book it. We could not d Diamond mine tour because we were not informed that we have to leave at 6 in the morning for it which we were very much willing to do if told.

Location of the hotel is the best. Gautrain is 5 mins walk from the hotel right across the street so no need to book pick up from the airport. Gautrain starts from the airport and comes straight to Sandton and takes 15 mins only to reach. 5 star for Rooms and cleanliness.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
General M, Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Sandton, Johannesburg, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Good Day,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Radisson Blu Hotel Sandton on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us however am concerned at the lack of assistance you received when booking your tours. We continuously strive to improve our service standards in order for our guests to feel at home away from home.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Volkan Vural
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

I stayed here for 3 nights on business and returned for 1 night for pleasure. Generally the service was good but by no means outstanding. The most disappointing things for me were: (1) only one restaurant with limited food choice; (2) rooms have not been well maintained - some electrical sockets not working, showers did not drain quickly, showers had to be left running for quite some time to get hot water; (3) room can be noisy if close to centre of hotel / lobby; (4) WIFI connection was terrible!; (5) Gym & Spa are available for private members and hotel guest so unfortunately you cannot use the gym to get changed after you have checked out. On the plus side, the location was good for business meetings and for getting to Nelson Mandela Square in the evenings (free shuttle bus). The choice of tourist excursions (available at concierge but provided by external vendor) was good. We did the Johannesburg & Soweto tour and Pilanesburg. On the last night of stay they did let me have a late check out at 6pm. This will not be available if the hotel is busy but always worth asking.

Room Tip: Away from the centre of the hotel is quieter and ask for the highest floor possible.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to write about your experience on Tripadvisor We are saddened to hear about your disappointment in our facilities. We also apologize for the noise levels you experienced. I have discussed your concerns with all the relevant departments involved, as we work hard to make sure our guests are comfortable.

We sincerely hope to host you in the near future and please follow us on Facebook and Twitter (@RadbluSandton) to stay informed about our upcoming offers.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

This hotel is located in a nicer and safer neighbourhood of J'burg. Its rooms are modern and Well equipped with a safe/wifi free/tea/coffee making facilities and a minibar. Nice 3 level gym complete with a running track, indoor outdoor pool. It is located not far from dining venues and a mall if you don't want to rely on hotel's outlets. There is also a free shuttle from the hotel to the mall

• Stayed March 2014
Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to write about your experience on Trip Advisor. We are also delighted to read that you appreciated our facilities.

We sincerely hope to host you in the near future and please follow us on Facebook and Twitter (@RadbluSandton) to stay informed about our hotel offers.

Newcastle, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

my stay here was done by a corporete booking , not my choice. the hotel is beautiful, but the servise is avarage. in a city with a 1000 brilliant hotels , this one does not nessasary stand out, the breakfast is nice though.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
General M, Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Sandton, Johannesburg, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Good Day,

Thank you for rating the Radisson Blu Hotel Sandton on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased to hear that you tried out our hotel through your corporate agreement and am delighted with your feedback.

We hope that you will enjoy the hotel on future visits and hopefully we can become your preferred hotel with that personalised touch.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Johannesburg on your next trip.

Manchester
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

The hotel itself is ok; nothing special but it's clean and simple.

- The food is mostly bland, and when it's not bland, it seems they attempt to make up for the lack of flavour by pouring kilos of salt into everything. I'm concerned for my health after leaving.

- There was also an issue on the day I arrived that my friend and I waited an hour for a pizza despite being the only people in the restaurant, which seemed odd.

- The hotel is a busy business hotel and as such there are always lots of people in the bar located right in the centre of the hotel so EVERY room is privy to the noise. Not too bad when you can drown it out with the TV but not great if you're here for work or peace and quiet.

- I'm a journalist in Johannesburg for work. I booked the Radisson because it offered free wifi and does conference hosting so I presumed the wifi would be reliable. The wifi doesn't work. Unless you are at the hotel between 11am and 3pm when nobody else is.

As a result, I missed deadlines and lost out on work. After the rude reception staff put me onto the wifi people, I spent 45 minutes on the phone for them to tell me they didn't know what the problem was. When I told the surly reception woman that I wanted to complain, I was given the managers email - bizarre since I had just told her that I HAD NO INTERNET!

- I also had issues with the reception staff when I asked her to order me a taxi as I had to interview someone for an article I was writing. I rang and asked for a meter taxi, when I got downstairs, they hadn't ordered me one but had arranged a luxury car that would cost 350rand to take me 2.5km. It was too late for me to do anything about it so I explained that I was unhappy to the concierge staff. The guy drove off, drove round the block and then back to the hotel and told me to get into a different car that would only cost 300rand. For the sake of 50rand it seemed a colossal waste of time and I was now most definitely going to be late.

I got in that car, and it did the same thing! By the time I got in the third luxury car, I was already late for my appointment and then the guy didn't have sat nav or know where he was going.

I was 30 minutes late for my interview and subsequently could not write my article.

SPEAKING TO THE MANAGER -

After calling at reception, ringing from the room and leaving countless messages, I eventually got to speak to Erik Bergvoll, the GM. I did explain that i could be extending my stay for up to 8 weeks but would need an improved wifi service.

He apologised loosely for the issue with the taxi and gave me his assurances that 'his head of IT' would address the wifi. Despite putting a note through my door, nothing changed with the internet and I was unable to send an email until I checked into The Maslow yesterday.

Waste of time hotel; Rude reception staff; Ineffective management and internet; Awful food; terrible response to complaints.

POSITIVE - The rest of the hospitality, concierge etc are all wonderful. Very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Choose a room in a different hotel
Good Day,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us on TripAdvisor.

I would like to apologise for the poor service you received from the team during your stay with us.

I do hope that you will give us an opportunity to redeem ourselves upon your next visit to Johannesburg.

Volkan Vural

Been to Radisson Blu Hotel Sandton, Johannesburg? Share your experiences!