The hotel itself is ok; nothing special but it's clean and simple.
- The food is mostly bland, and when it's not bland, it seems they attempt to make up for the lack of flavour by pouring kilos of salt into everything. I'm concerned for my health after leaving.
- There was also an issue on the day I arrived that my friend and I waited an hour for a pizza despite being the only people in the restaurant, which seemed odd.
- The hotel is a busy business hotel and as such there are always lots of people in the bar located right in the centre of the hotel so EVERY room is privy to the noise. Not too bad when you can drown it out with the TV but not great if you're here for work or peace and quiet.
- I'm a journalist in Johannesburg for work. I booked the Radisson because it offered free wifi and does conference hosting so I presumed the wifi would be reliable. The wifi doesn't work. Unless you are at the hotel between 11am and 3pm when nobody else is.
As a result, I missed deadlines and lost out on work. After the rude reception staff put me onto the wifi people, I spent 45 minutes on the phone for them to tell me they didn't know what the problem was. When I told the surly reception woman that I wanted to complain, I was given the managers email - bizarre since I had just told her that I HAD NO INTERNET!
- I also had issues with the reception staff when I asked her to order me a taxi as I had to interview someone for an article I was writing. I rang and asked for a meter taxi, when I got downstairs, they hadn't ordered me one but had arranged a luxury car that would cost 350rand to take me 2.5km. It was too late for me to do anything about it so I explained that I was unhappy to the concierge staff. The guy drove off, drove round the block and then back to the hotel and told me to get into a different car that would only cost 300rand. For the sake of 50rand it seemed a colossal waste of time and I was now most definitely going to be late.
I got in that car, and it did the same thing! By the time I got in the third luxury car, I was already late for my appointment and then the guy didn't have sat nav or know where he was going.
I was 30 minutes late for my interview and subsequently could not write my article.
SPEAKING TO THE MANAGER -
After calling at reception, ringing from the room and leaving countless messages, I eventually got to speak to Erik Bergvoll, the GM. I did explain that i could be extending my stay for up to 8 weeks but would need an improved wifi service.
He apologised loosely for the issue with the taxi and gave me his assurances that 'his head of IT' would address the wifi. Despite putting a note through my door, nothing changed with the internet and I was unable to send an email until I checked into The Maslow yesterday.
Waste of time hotel; Rude reception staff; Ineffective management and internet; Awful food; terrible response to complaints.
POSITIVE - The rest of the hospitality, concierge etc are all wonderful. Very friendly and helpful.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Tingo, Priceline, Despegar.com, BookingOdigeoWL, Agoda and Venere so you can book your Radisson Blu Hotel Sandton, Johannesburg reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Radisson Blu Hotel Sandton, Johannesburg Greater Johannesburg