“No wifi, awful food, poor management” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Radisson Blu Hotel Sandton, Johannesburg

Save Saved
You added Radisson Blu Hotel Sandton, Johannesburg to your Saves list
Radisson Blu Hotel Sandton, Johannesburg
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Corner Rivonia Road & Daisy Street, Sandton 2010, South Africa (Formerly Radisson SAS)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan ahead and save 20%
Ranked #15 of 44 Hotels in Sandton
Manchester
“No wifi, awful food, poor management”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

The hotel itself is ok; nothing special but it's clean and simple.

- The food is mostly bland, and when it's not bland, it seems they attempt to make up for the lack of flavour by pouring kilos of salt into everything. I'm concerned for my health after leaving.

- There was also an issue on the day I arrived that my friend and I waited an hour for a pizza despite being the only people in the restaurant, which seemed odd.

- The hotel is a busy business hotel and as such there are always lots of people in the bar located right in the centre of the hotel so EVERY room is privy to the noise. Not too bad when you can drown it out with the TV but not great if you're here for work or peace and quiet.

- I'm a journalist in Johannesburg for work. I booked the Radisson because it offered free wifi and does conference hosting so I presumed the wifi would be reliable. The wifi doesn't work. Unless you are at the hotel between 11am and 3pm when nobody else is.

As a result, I missed deadlines and lost out on work. After the rude reception staff put me onto the wifi people, I spent 45 minutes on the phone for them to tell me they didn't know what the problem was. When I told the surly reception woman that I wanted to complain, I was given the managers email - bizarre since I had just told her that I HAD NO INTERNET!

- I also had issues with the reception staff when I asked her to order me a taxi as I had to interview someone for an article I was writing. I rang and asked for a meter taxi, when I got downstairs, they hadn't ordered me one but had arranged a luxury car that would cost 350rand to take me 2.5km. It was too late for me to do anything about it so I explained that I was unhappy to the concierge staff. The guy drove off, drove round the block and then back to the hotel and told me to get into a different car that would only cost 300rand. For the sake of 50rand it seemed a colossal waste of time and I was now most definitely going to be late.

I got in that car, and it did the same thing! By the time I got in the third luxury car, I was already late for my appointment and then the guy didn't have sat nav or know where he was going.

I was 30 minutes late for my interview and subsequently could not write my article.

SPEAKING TO THE MANAGER -

After calling at reception, ringing from the room and leaving countless messages, I eventually got to speak to Erik Bergvoll, the GM. I did explain that i could be extending my stay for up to 8 weeks but would need an improved wifi service.

He apologised loosely for the issue with the taxi and gave me his assurances that 'his head of IT' would address the wifi. Despite putting a note through my door, nothing changed with the internet and I was unable to send an email until I checked into The Maslow yesterday.

Waste of time hotel; Rude reception staff; Ineffective management and internet; Awful food; terrible response to complaints.

POSITIVE - The rest of the hospitality, concierge etc are all wonderful. Very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Choose a room in a different hotel
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
General M, Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Sandton, Johannesburg, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Good Day,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us on TripAdvisor.

I would like to apologise for the poor service you received from the team during your stay with us.

I do hope that you will give us an opportunity to redeem ourselves upon your next visit to Johannesburg.

Volkan Vural

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

Superficially, this hotel is a modern twenty-something storey building with contemporary interior design. But things are not always what they seem. When I got to my room I found that the heavy dark-wood entrance door was badly fitted, and would stay open unless pushed quite robustly to a close.
I had to change rooms after a loud noise of undetermined source arose every few minutes during the late evening. It sounded as though someone was repeatedly dragging an item of heavy furniture across the floor of the bedroom immediately above mine. When I first reported it, I got the impression that the staff did not believe me. I was told that there was no maintenance work going on at this late hour (10.30pm). I had to insist on a manager coming to my room to hear it for himself.
The bedroom interior was quirkily contemporary and colour-coordinated in blue-grey-cream and dark wood. The ready-to-go electric hairdryer, plugged-in and sitting on top of the work desk was not an appealing look. The in-room WIFI internet connection was agonisingly slow throughout my stay. There was no iron or ironing board in the room, which is a worldwide standard in hotels of this category. A single armchair was bizarrely low-seated compared to other furniture in the room and its fabric was worn and stained. The bathroom shower appliance was not great, nor was the water pressure. The shower floor mosaic-tile grouting appeared dirty, and mould was apparent around the shower floor edges. The bed would have been fairly comfortable, except that the mattress dropped away towards the edge of the bed, as if from heavy wear, creating the impression of sleeping on a slope.
Three occasions of room service were delivered in reasonable time, but the perfunctory service could not be described as friendly. Risotto was delivered luke warm. At breakfast an item was missing from my order, and a minuscule tea pot poured out a weak, cloudy 'English Breakfast' tea that tasted nothing like its description. The overall impression of this hotel was well below average for its class.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
General M, Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Sandton, Johannesburg, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Good Day,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Radisson Blu Hotel Sandton.

Your comments and feedback is vital in ensuring that we meet our guests needs and expectations and unfortunately on this occasion we have let ourselves down.

I have addressed all your concerns with the management team in order for this to be avoided in the future.

I do hope that you will give us a second chance upon your next visit to Johannesburg and hope that we can meet and exceed your expectations.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

Located in a nice area with great views. the hotel is very clean with plenty of staff on duty. It feels safe. Room was very good, but I did pay for a superior outward looking room. I know others have reported noise if facing inwards to the atrium. Food in the restaurant was very good and the highlight was the service from the friendly and enthusiastic waiting staff. Others have reported poor customer facing skills from reception etc. It was not poor but was a little indifferent. A smile and hello really does help after a 24 hour journey....

Hotel transport very useful for getting to local shops and onward to Mandela Square.

Bar can be quite buzzy whilst BA staff have a layover - nice to see an hotel bar being used. The quiet night following (pre-flight) bit annoyed the staff decided to close an hour early to have an early night leaving some paying guests with the only option to go to their rooms to order room service. All in all a good place, just some tweaks required to make you feel more welcome.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Good Day,

Thank you for your wonderful review and comments on TripAdvisor.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Radisson Blu Hotel Sandton. Our friendly staff that assisted you show true Yes I Can! Spirit however I am disappointed you did not get the welcome you deserve from our Reception desk - we will look into this.

We will look into the bar staff on duty having left earlier on one occasion and address the matter accordingly.

I do hope to welcome you back to Sandton in the near future.

East Grinstead, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

Super staff, nice rooms, good breakfast-what more could you want? From the very friendly valet parking chaps, to the receptionist, all the staff really friendly. Very good value breakfast, just a bit of an odd lift system...

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
General M, Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Sandton, Johannesburg, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Good day,

Thank you for your wonderful review of the Radisson Blu Hotel Sandton from your most recent visit.

Your positive comments are a great compliment to our Yes I Can! Service philosophy as we continuously strive to ensure our guests are looked after.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Johannesburg in the near future.

Mumbai, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

My second home. Stayed for about 6months. The staff, cleanliness, ambience was fantastic. I surely recommend this to everyone who visits Jo'burg. The staff including house keeping, room service, concierge and reception was fantastic.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Radisson Blu Hotels

Good Day,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor.

From all of the team here at the Radisson Blu Hotel Sandton we thoroughly enjoyed having you stay with us for +/- 6 months and hope that you will return in the not too distant future - you are always welcoming as we are your home away from home.

Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

Very good hotel, close to Nelson Mandela Square. Rooms are nice and spacious with good beds and aircon. Flat screen tv and minibar with both a Nespresso mashine and means to make normal coffee or tea. Some rooms have a big balcony with furniture and a great wiew. It has has a complementary shuttlebus to Nelson Mandela Square that runs every 30.min. Nice outside pool with a bar at 5. floor. Good safety, and good service.

Room Tip: They have rooms if your smoke. Room 1409 has a balcony with great wiew.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Good day,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Radisson Blu Hotel Sandton on TripAdvisor.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

Beware when booking Radisson Blu "near to the Gautrain" It's easy to get to Sandton from the airport by Gautrain. But this Radisson Blu is NOT the one diagonally opposite the train station, it's about 200m down the road, not ideal with suitcases. Rooms fine, but check-in staff not very friendly. Fortunately staff at the other hotel arranged their free shuttle bus to take us to this one.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Radisson Blu Hotels

General M, Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Sandton, Johannesburg, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Good Day,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor.

You are correct in saying we are slightly down the road from the Gautrain Station - upon your next visit we have a complimentary shuttle from the train station to the hotel which we can gladly send to collect you.

I am happy to hear you enjoyed our rooms however disappointed that our staff were not friendly upon check in - I will ensure that this is addressed immediately.

I look forward to your next visit to Johannesburg and the Radisson Blu Hotel Sandton.

Eirik Bergvoll

Been to Radisson Blu Hotel Sandton, Johannesburg? Share your experiences!