“Comfortable, safe modern hotel located within easy reach of Sandton mall” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Radisson Blu Hotel Sandton, Johannesburg

Save Saved
You added Radisson Blu Hotel Sandton, Johannesburg to your Saves list
Radisson Blu Hotel Sandton, Johannesburg
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Corner Rivonia Road & Daisy Street, Sandton 2010, South Africa (Formerly Radisson SAS)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan ahead and save 20%
Ranked #16 of 44 hotels in Sandton
Chelmsford, England, United Kingdom
“Comfortable, safe modern hotel located within easy reach of Sandton mall”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Good quality accomodation within east reach of Sandto shopping centre. Staff friendly, food pretty good and rooms well equipped, quiet and comfortable. Actually, the restaurant was very good - try the springbok steak it was great!

367 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Thai first
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I travel to Johannesburg/Sandton several times a year for business and I always stay at this hotel. The only reason I do that is that the gym, Platinum, is absolutely brilliant. You have access to it if you stay at the hotel, but it's not owned or run by Radisson, it's a fully fledged gym with lots of machines, classes and even an indoor running track! If you get a room high up you'll have really nice views as well.

Now the negatives: Don't expect any special treatment if you're a regular customer. The staff seems genuinely uninterested in service and kind of have the attitude that you should be grateful to stay at this the greatest hotel in the world... (which it hardly is). This hotel could be miles better if they trained the staff properly. I'd put it down to poor management.

Also the food is average at best and expensive compared to anywhere else around the hotel. So avoid the restaurant/room service if you can.

If it wasn't for the brilliant gym I'd given this establishment one or two stars and I would not consider staying there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room high up, the side facing downtown Johannesburg gives you a nice skyline with Ponte Ci...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
London, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

After a wonderful stay where I used the fantastic gym on the 10th floor; enjoyed the breakfast and sampled the lovely room service - I was faced with Sobie at check out.

I tried to request that instead of making a fresh payment request; he simply add the amount I had spent to the pre-authorised amount as it can take up to 2 weeks for the funds to be returned to my account (and I still have another 3 hotels to stay in). Before I had finished the sentence, he rolled his eyes and pursed his lips...then proceeded to talk over me explaining I was wrong and it would be refunded immediately. Attempts to explain this isn't the case were met with more eye rolling and being told that I didn't know what I was talking about.

I explained that I stay in hotels regularly and it may be a case he was given the wrong information. He just shrugged and then refused to engage me in any further conversation. I had a flight to catch and conceded. When I said that I would be sending through feedback of the experience when the Radisson survey came through - he again just shrugged and said fine.

I really wanted to enjoy my time at the Radisson and was positive even at 4am when I checked out.

Please Radisson - I'm not the only one who has mentioned customer service...take a leaf out of the Sheraton book and update your customers ervice training.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
KP1986, Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Sandton, Johannesburg, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Dear Deneshae,

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor, and the feedback regarding your experience upon check out. This is not the way we wish our guests to be treated & wish to pass on our sincere apologies for this.

We have addressed the way in which you were treated & continuously retrain our employees on the importance of service & our our Mission to provide unique Yes I Can! Service.

We hope that this has not deterred you from staying at the Radisson Blu Hotel Sandton & do wish to see you again in the near future to ensure you leave having received the best of South African hospitality at our hotel.

With kind regards
Eirik Bergvoll
DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

I travel to Johannesburg several times a year and only stay at this hotel. It is convenient to the Gautrain (airport - Sandton in 15 minutes), shopping and major roads. The hotel shuttle is a nice benefit but there is ample parking if you rent a car. Checking in is a breeze. The spa is first class and the gym is like nothing you will ever experience in another hotel. The style is very modern, wi-fi in every room but the reception is spotty in some parts of the hotel - they should install some boosters.

I stayed over Easter and found "hidden" Easter eggs during breakfast and chocolate bunnies from the housekeepers. It are the little touches that make the difference. From the General Manager, corporate sales and front desk to the people behind the scenes, each one makes a guest feel valued.

Room Tip: Ask for North side rooms as high up as possible. They are not overlooked so you can keep drapes ope...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
KP1986, Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Sandton, Johannesburg, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Dear spoiledtravelguy,

Thank you for your wonderful review on TripAdvisor. With our unique 'Yes I Can!' Service we are dedicated to going the extra mile in order for guests to feel one in a million and exceed their expectations.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Radisson Blu Hotel Sandton in the near future and hope to make you feel at home once again.

With kind regards,
Eirik Bergvoll
Nairobi, Nairobi, Kenya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

The hotel defines what business travel should be. Immediately I got there, I was upgraded one room higher which made me feel extra special and the staff were very pleasant. The facilities, meals are obviously top notch (I had never seen a pant press before!) and the view from my room of the Hyundai ball and the rest of Sandton was great. I especially loved the chocolates on my pillow, it is a very nice touch and please keep it up. Would love to come back!

Room Tip: It wouldn't hurt to ask for a complementary upgrade!
England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

I chose this Radisson as opposed to Gautrain Radisson, as I found pool area to be very small and too public, bordering as it does the hotel reception. In contrast, this Radisson was a very pleasant experience - from easy, quick check-in through to high standards of customer service and exceptionally good food; try the slow-roasted pork belly - best I've eaten in many years! I was given a room on the 22nd floor, great views and very comfortable/spacious room. Clean spacious pool area - also indoor pool was nice and immaculately maintained - with good, hot dry sauna (n.b. needs clock/timer please!)
Attentive staff throughout and small details were much appreciated - I needed a late check-out and was preparing to pay for this - but was told it was free of charge. Look forward to returning to this hotel and would recommend to anybody visiting Jo'burg. Free shuttle to Gautrain is also helpful.

Room Tip: All top floor rooms
Pretzfeld
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

There is certainly room for improvement on the service side of things - average waiting time in the restaurant to be attended to for any kind of order (coffee at breakfast or order for dinner) was too long. Annoying was also that every other day the key card for the room was not working anymore and had to be reset at reception. Apart from that however the stay was very pleasant. The breakfast buffet selection is very good and so is the overall quality of the food served (apart from the coffee, which was a bit disappointing). Views from my window (17th floor) and the pool deck were stunning, the spa facilities are great and the gym just awesome, with a huge sports pool, lots of bikes, several rooms for different classes (e.g. Pilates, Yoga) which can be attended and not to forget the great opening times (during the week from 4.30am) which allows one to really make use of the facilities. Other than the the hotel offers every half an hour a (free) shuttle service to Nelson Mandela square and next Gautrain station which does add value too for all those who do not feel like walking or taking the car. All in all to be recommended from my point of view.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Been to Radisson Blu Hotel Sandton, Johannesburg? Share your experiences!