I stayed at HI Sandton for 4 nights on business. Check in was no problem and my bags were transported directly to my room by the bellman who also explained how things in the room work. All of the hotel staff that I encountered were pleasant and professional. This is a very new facility and it definetely the nicest and most well appointed Holiday Inn that I have ever seen!
-Shower door did not close completely. Ultimately not a huge problem as the bath mat soaked up any water that fell on the floor. However, this should be of concern to the hotel management as it could cause someone to slip and fall.
-Air Conditioning didn't not seem to be cooling on a consistent basis. More nights than not I found that while the unit was blowing air, it wasn't blowing cold air.
-The rooms are nicely appointed, with good linens, modern decor, and flat screen tv.
-Wireless Internet Service is offered on a time measured basis as opposed to a flat rate per day. The connection was fairly stable during my stay.
- I ordered room service on the first evening and the food arrived in a reasonable amount of time, was well prepared and decently priced. Breakfast while not included in the price was very good, enjoyed the omelette station each day. -Also, there is a great rooftop (enclosed) cocktail lounge called the Sky Bar. The Sky Bar is decorated in a very funky/posh manner, plays really cool world music and has a lovely view of Joburg. I highly recommend for a sundowner.
-Location: Location is excellent, located in the heart of Sandton which is convienent for both business, shopping, and dining. Additionally, the hotel is adjacent to a small shopping mall that has a variety of shops and restaurants. I am a woman and felt comfortable walking to and from the shopping center day or night. Usually, there is a hotel employee, either bellman or security who is keeping an eye on things.
-In terms of real shopping it is best to go to the Mandela Square area. In this area you will find a massive shopping mall with shops ranging from high to low end. You will even find a grocery and several salons there.
-Mandela Square has a wide variety of resturants to suit any palate. I highly recommend Montego Bay which had a great selection of fresh seafood. The King Prawns from Mozambique are massive, practically other wordly and delicious! I dined at other restaurants in the square and all of them were good. In fact I never encountered one bad meal the whole time I was in S. Africa.
-There is a tour company on site who can assist in any excursions that you are interesteed in. Also, I noticed several travel agencies inside of the Mandela Square shopping mall that were advertising excursions such as safari.
-Also, I participated in a Soweto Tour which included the Apartheid Museum and Hector Pieterson Museum. I highly recommend both activities which will give you some insight into the history of the country.
One final note on security. I never encountered any problems in Joburg and neither did my co-workers. In fact I walked from the hotel to Mandela Square alone during the day and didn't feel uncomfortable or threatened in any way. However, Joburg is a large city with a sizable population in the millions and just like in any other major city you need to take precaution. Thieves often prey on those who they can catch unaware, so don't walk down the street while on your mobile phone, or while listening to your ipod. Don't walk alone in the dark or with lots of packages, catch a taxi instead. Also, I suggest that whenever you need a taxi you let the hotel or the restaurant that you are leaving make the arrangement for you to ensure that you are with someone reputable.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Holiday Inn Sandton, Rivonia Road offers premier quality and service, providing the ultimate in comfort and style, while aiming to create a positively unforgettable guest experience, allowing you to just be yourself! Experience an unsurpassed warm and friendly welcome upon entering this luxurious Sandton hotel. Conveniently located in Sandton Central, the heart of Gauteng's corporate, financial and shopping Mecca and highly sought after destination for the cosmopolitan individual. Located within walking distance from Sandton City Shopping Centre, the Holiday Inn Sandton, Rivonia Road is also situated conveniently near the head offices of some of South Africa's most important corporate businesses, including Johannesburg Stock Exchange (JSE), Deutsche Bank, ABN Amro Bank and Nedbank. Holiday Inn Sandton, Rivonia Road is also central to the Sandton Convention Centre; Sandton City, one of the largest shopping centres in the southern hemisphere, and Nelson Mandela Square; which offers a diverse range of restaurants, shops, entertainment and vibrant nightlife. The Gauteng Train Station is a stone's throw away. Therefore this Sandton hotel offers the ideal base for the business and leisure traveller. Whether you're overnighting for business or leisure, or simply enjoying sundowner cocktails or dinner with friends, Holiday Inn Sandton, Rivonia Road provides a memorable experience catering for all your requirements! You're at the heart of everything we do! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Travelocity, Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Tingo, Hotels.com, Priceline, BookingOdigeoWL, getaroom.com, Despegar.com, Venere and Agoda so you can book your Holiday Inn Sandton - Rivonia Road reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Sandton - Rivonia Road Hotel Sandton
- Holiday Inn Sandton - Rivonia Road Greater Johannesburg