“For one night ok” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 47 Hotels in Sandton
Utting am Ammersee, Germany
“For one night ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Booked a room with double bed, at the check in only rooms with single beds available.
Rooms spacy enough, bets excellent, and also the bathroom spacy enough with excellent showers. But from the bathroom it was always bad air which makes it inconvenient...
There was a permanent noise in the room, not from the climate

Smokers can only smoke on a balcony in the 9th floor, it´s not possible to get a coffee or something else before 17:00....

Gym is very small.

Personal was always friendly...

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Hotel_Management2010, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Sandton - Rivonia Road, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Dear "Carsten B",

We sincerely appreciate your honest feedback on your recent stay with us. You can imagine that we are very disappointed to hear that we have not been able to exceed your expectations. Our sincere apologies for not being able to accommodate your request for a double room and providing you with a twin bedded room as well as the odor coming from the exhaust in the bathroom. We will investigate what has gone wrong with our room allocations that day and whether the odor issue you have noticed is resolved.

Smoking in the hotel is unfortunately prohibited by law, except for 2 designated smoking areas. One area is located on the ground floor, just outside the main entrance and the additional area is indeed on the 9th floor. Our Skye Bar only opens in the late afternoon, hence there is no bar service available before that time. However, we would be more than happy to service you from our Chairman's Bar in the lobby of the hotel, next time around.

Again, thank you for your stay and we do look forward welcoming you back again soon.

Your sincerely,

Burnedette Botha - Guest Relations Manager
Holiday Inn Sandton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Polokwane, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Highly recommended stay in Johannesburg
1st experience stay at the hotel over the weekend, stylish hotel, elegant sleep & above average/ excellent service. Strategic location closest to the Gautrain Sandton Station, Nelson Mandela Square and the Bussiest Business District of the Republic, Sandton City Mall & Office Park. Ideal for business and leisure travel. The in-room meal service offered 24 hours leave much to desire with friendly waiters and waitress, comfortable and spacious rooms makes in-room dining much convenient for a busy business person who need just to be relaxing in the room. The reception at breakfast and smiles of the waitresses makes breakfast time much enjoyable, a whole range of menu options makes a three-course breakfast menu easy to go by. The last point of contact was at the reception for check-out, quick friendly service of the receptionists calls for one to make a booking for the next visit, excellent and giving value for money. After such a soothing and relating night, what can I ask for from a hotelier..

Room Tip: Higher floors City facing rooms give excellent view of Sandton through-out your stay
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Hotel_Management2010, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Sandton - Rivonia Road, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear "Sam M",

Great to hear that the team at the "INN" has been able to create a strong first impression and assist in making your trip to Johannesburg a success!

We cant wait to hosting you again soon in nearby future...

Warm regards,

Burnedette Botha - Guest Relations Manager
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Good location, excellent value, comfortable room. Near to Nelson Mandela Square (with lots of places to eat) and the huge Santon City Mall. We stayed here on our first night on arriving in South Africa, and it was a good starter location. Not having free wi-fi is a bit irritating though.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel_Management2010, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sandton - Rivonia Road, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Dear "JAMcA_01",

Your candid feedback is much appreciated and we are thrilled to hear we have been able to create a comfortable first night stay upon your arrival in South Africa.

With regards to your comments on the internet services provided, we will be piloting free internet services at the hotel from next month onwards and are currently preparing our IT infrastructure for this accordingly. So, I believe this wil address your concern raised.

Again, thank you for sharing your feedback on trip advisor and we are looking forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Garnet Basson - General Manager
Bloemfontein, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

The hotel is easy to find, and very close to Nelson Mandela Square, we walked over a few times. There is a few take away places right accross the road if you dont fancy eating at the hotel restaurant. We ordered breakfast to our room which was unimpressive, yet very expensive. We didnt eat at the hotel restaurant so I cant comment, but we did have coctails at the Skybar which was very tasty, and they have intersting choices on the menu, although the saturday we were there they didnt have many of the ingredients so we had to pick a different coctail 3 times before they could make it.
Our room was on the 8th floor and the view was very good, the room was spacious, and neat and the bed very comfy. We had a bath shower combo and also his and hers basins. The water pressure was a bit low in the shower and basins, I guess it is made that way to preserve water. The room was fairly soundproof and we werent bothered by noise at all. The staff were very friendly and keen to help whenever they could.
We also parked our car securely in the basement at R40 per day.
All in all it was a very comfortable stay and pleasant experience.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel_Management2010, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Sandton - Rivonia Road, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear "Stephanie d",

Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable thoughts with us. We really appreciate your kind feedback and all the great compliments. Glad to hear we have been able to create a comfortable stay during your visit to Johannesburg. Lastly, thank you for pointing out your disappointment around the in-room breakfast service. I will discuss this with the executive chef at the hotel and determine further improvements needed.

We are all looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind regards,

Burnedette Botha – Guest Relations Manager
Abuja, Abuja Capital Territory, Nigeria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Chose to stay at the Holiday Inn as I was attending a course at the same venue. Nice hotel but I found the staff a tad bit unhelpful. Also got a good deal on the rate through the course organizers. Breakfast was nice, the hotel has a small but fairly equipped gym on the 9th floor. Wish the Wifi could have been free in the rooms or at least cheaper!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear "AFisho",

Greetings from the team at the INN!

We are thrilled to hear that we have been able to make your conference a success. I am also glad to announce that besides the free WIFI zones in the hotel, we will soon be extending this to all other areas in the hotel. This will hopefully further enhance your experience while staying with us next time around. Besides that - further training is currently being under taken to further drive guest service excellence amongst all team members at the hotel, to ensure consistency in delivery of service to all of our esteemed guests.

We are sincerely looking forward to welcoming you back upon your next visit to Johannesburg.

Warm regards,

Burnedette Botha – Guest Relations Manager
Johannesburg, South Africa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Please do not listen to anyone recommending this hotel. it may be in sandton and reasonably clean, but thats it! it has no soul, they have not heard of the word customer service and the "gym" is a joke!

But most off all i and my colleague stayed here in january 2012 and neither of us could sleep in either of our rooms, due to noise from faulty aircon systems, dripping taps, walls made of paper and faulty room doors which somtimes opened by themselves in the middle of the night.

We complained but was told that it was to bad, so please do not stay there!

Room Tip: simply chose another hotel!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Sandton - Rivonia Road, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear mikkel d,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. Please allow me to apologize for the issues you had with your room accommodations and any inconvenience you may have experienced. I am also sorry for the service you received that did not live up to your expectations. I have sent you a private message to obtain some additional details regarding your stay. Thank you for staying and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Stockholm, Sweden
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I've been to Joburg many times and normally I stay another one closer to Nelson Mandela Square, this time simply the hotel was fully booked but i positively chose to stay Holiday Inn since it looks new and attractive. Now I say, my decision was totally wrong and I would never come back here. It is all about hospitality and staff education.
Facility is perfect. They have a nice lobby and give you a wide room. Very small fitness gym but swimming pool is nice (small too though).

My 1st day's breakfast was horrible. Maybe I was not completely adjusting my watch and I arrived to the venue a couple of minutes before 6:30 when breakfast is supposed to start. The receptionist asked me to wait till the wall clock counts to 6:30 (though I could see other guy having breakfast already). Anyway rule is rule. I waited for 2-3 minutes and got a seat. I took some juice and realised my glass has got a big big crack on it, lucky I noticed before drinking and being injured. Mushroom has got hair sticked on it (tried to believe this was mine, but it was heavily sticking that means not mine) that destroyed whole morning fresh mood. Lastly they don't have a coffee machine so you have to be dependent on the floor service staff. But there is nobody walking around, checking guests comfort, NOBODY. Finally I managed to get a cashier lady(yes dear 6:30 lady, Zanele), and asked for it. She looked very unpleasant and apparently she forgot my request. I didn't get my coffee and on my return I asked her "How long should I wait for my coffee?" she said she was busy with cashier and she is not in charge. There was almost no other people and if she is not in charge, she can pass my message to her colleague who takes care of? I strongly recommend this hotel to put automatic coffee server if you don't want your staff to serve coffee to the guest. Only twice in 5 times of my breakfast I managed to get my coffee. I nearly thought they have a strong polocy not to serve a single cup of coffee and not to give a smile to the guests.
I stayed with company contract so I was supposed to get free WIFI. They only gave me a voucher for 30mins-1hour, nealy impossible to concentrate in working. When I asked for extra, they said this is not a part of contract and I have to come down to the lobby to get free connection. I did it cause I needed, then lobby internet, after 1hour, lost connection. Each time in different evening I tried, the same outcome. So probably this is their setup.
Only a few staff asked me about my comfort and etc, each time I gave them my honest feel and they never said sorry, I kept telling them "there is a room for improvement always" they smiled looking uncomfortably then ignored my message.
Actually I wrote all this experience on my 2nd day to the hotel manager by email (since I didn't know the direct address, I used normal reservation inquiry mail address and wrote "to the hotel manager", with all my findings so far). It has given me an automatic reply confirming that hotel server has received my query and will attend within 24 hours. There was a reference number too. I didn't get any reply till today, even after I came back to my home. (By the way this happened another time, so 2nd experience. I didn't get any reply while I was trying to make a booking confirmed. So I should have realised when I booked the hotel, about their low awareness of guest queries)
So after all, nothing has improved during my stay, and for your information another reason I chose this hotel was I thought it is still convenient, by being located just next to small shopping mall, Village Walk. Please note this mall is completely closed now, so if you want something "normal", say having a dinner or shopping, you have to walk up to big shopping mall (approx 10mins) every time. It is a good walk actually but in a night time for ladies, it is not much recommended, too dark.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Sandton - Rivonia Road, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear Smappe,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Sandton - Rivonia Road? Share your experiences!