“UN GIUSTO COMPROMESSO A JOHANNESBURG” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Members Get Up to 35% Off
Ranked #20 of 44 hotels in Sandton
Zurich
“UN GIUSTO COMPROMESSO A JOHANNESBURG”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

This hotel has been indicated to me by the company system as preferred. The rate has been raffle 100€ with full american breakfast. The hotel itself is located in Sandton, a kind of "high class" place within the Johannesburg area and a safer place to stay in general. It is close to the Nelson Mandela Square" where restaurants and bars are presents in addition to a large mall and other more recognised (but also more expensive) hotels. Inside the hotel is fairly new, rooms are ok but kind of "cold" and some issues are present: in mine I had a broken window (not able to close) and also the minibar was making a lot of noise. The service of the hotel, I'm referring to the reception, is not that fast and I had to wait sometime to have my final room, even thou I used the hotel transportation at my arrival at the airport. So, you can choose it, but if you have a little more budget than me, choose something else....

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Hotel_Management2010, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Sandton - Rivonia Road, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your honest comments. We are disappointed to hear we have not been able to exceed your expectations. We will discuss the slow service received upon check in with the front office team and identify how to further improve this key service element.

And our sincere apologies for the maintenance issues experienced in your room. I will make sure our maintenance team will take the necessary actions as this is not of the standard we aim to provide to all of our guests.

We do hope this will not deter you from visiting the Holiday Inn Sandton upon your return to South Africa.

312 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Avon, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

My wife and I stayed here to begina trip throughout easter S. Africa, and I couldn't have been more pleased about our experience at the Holiday Inn Sandton. I know it's just a Holiday Inn, but they deserve a 5 rating for everything they got right. Here's a list of pros and cons:

Pros:
- Great location - I'm not really familiar with Johannesburg, but at least Sandton is a very nice area of town and the hotel is accessible by taxis and you can walk to pretty much any necessities nearby.
- My wife and I had arrived at 6:30 AM from a flight to Joberg from Lagos overnight. Both of us were exhausted and knew that we were some 6+ hours early for a traditional early check-in - but there wasn't a moment of hesitation at the front desk about getting us into a room early, so we could clean up, take a nap, whatever. Just fantastic!
- Room decor was modern, ultra-clean, comfortable.
- Extra -large walk-in shower had dual showerheads - a rain head and a handheld wand with a receptacle. I know it's a bit wasteful (you can turn either on or off independently), but what a treat.
- Wonderful welcome gift of fruits, nuts and biltong waiting for us - what a nice touch!
- In-room safe and refrigerator
- Nice flat screen LCD television
- Plenty of room and very stylish
- Did I mention how great the service was? Great service can really make or break a hotel; the surroundings and physical things matter, as does location, but a good hotel can be great with excellent service, and a good hotel can be quite poor without.
- The lobby was amazing - fresh flowers and greenery everywhere, about a 20-30 foot (10-15 m) ceiling, lots of seating, several televisions and ahuge projection display with sports on it.
- In-house restaurant was perfect, and has a superb breakfast buffet.
- The mirror in the bathroom has a large, automatic fog-free section (heated) - works great!

Cons:
- Not very many channels on the TV - maybe 10-15 or so. Pretty much all of them had football (soccer) on. Not horrible, but the experience was limited.

That's it, there's really not much to complain about here, I couldn't ask for much more. I would *definitely* stay here again when I return to Joberg. Love it, what a deal! As with all of my reviews, thanks for reading, and if there are any questions, don't hesitate to reach out!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Hotel_Management2010, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Sandton - Rivonia Road, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Dear JB24003,

We are truly humbled by the excellent comments you have posted on TripAdvisor. We especially appreciate the level of detail of your feedback providing great insight to all other TripAdvisor users on our facilities, services offered and hotel surroundings.

We are extremely proud that we have been able to impress you with our hospitality and made you into an ambassador of our beautiful hotel.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back again soon. Greetings from everyone at the Holiday Inn Sandton!

At your service,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012 via mobile

Having just got back from SA, this was the first time I have used this particular hotel, it was not my first choice as that was booked up but this one was more than I expected. I was pleased with the stay all the same.As I was arriving early Morning (7 am) I arranged via email for a hotel pickup this was done easily and quickly and cost 430r , I had also asked for an early checkin and again this was available so is excellent rather than having to hang around for hours. I suggest becoming a member if the priority club as the benefits do work for you here (free wifi etc). I did struggle to understand the concept thou as you have to select to pay for the service and they knock it off your bill and after several visits to reception found that there is a "charge to room option on the web page" something that not everyone was aware of or offered to demonstrate. The breakfast is great and the staff were great and very attentive. It is a bit if a walk to sandton mall or you could use the hotel shuttle service but these are at fixed times . I never used the service but was there should I have been motivated. The gym is very small which is a pity as I would have used it more...there is a pool which overlooks the area I would have liked to go for a dip but it was not heated and was very cold, several people dipped their toe and then wandered off as a result. The rooms are decorated very modernly and clean the only issue I could find was a large stain on the ceiling (about 4 feet long)you couldnt miss it as was visable as soon as you opened your eyes from the bed which is a pity as it only needed a splash of white paint (room 840).

• Stayed October 2012
Hotel_Management2010, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Sandton - Rivonia Road, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Dear Colmon69,

Great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us, even though we were not your initial "first choice. Your detailed comments (including some of the maintenance issues you have picked up) are much appreciated. I will ensure you that these will be communicated to our maintenance team for further action.

The Holiday Inn Sandton highly values its Priority Club members, and therefore offer them some exciting additional benefits to make their stay even more comfortable. So, great to hear you are joining "the club". We can't wait to welcoming you back soon.

Kind regards,

Gabon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

We stayed the hotel for 3 nights, very clean and a great location. Overall staff were Ok except the front desk agents. We had an incident where we needed the business center to print some important one page document and the front desk told us that it closes at 9:30 pm, and we were at 9:20 pm.
When I explained to the agent it's not 9:30 yet, he replied it's already too late, and I pleaded to him that I really need this one page document and if there's anything he can do, he replied there's nothing i can do. Mind you they were more than one agent at the desk.
Finally, I went to the concierge who went out of his way, to let me use his computer and print that one page document. He was a life saver. I can't say the same about the front desk people, they were NOT HELPFUL AT ALL.
Oh by the way, the hotel seem to nickel and dime you, you have to pay separate for parking, separate charge for the internet etc...so watch out.
Other than that it's good hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Hotel_Management2010, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Sandton - Rivonia Road, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Dear Madey00,

First of all, our sincere apologies for the lack of service received by our front desk team member, at a time when you most needed . I will certainly investigate this situation and take the necessary actions. Thankfully the concierge desk did manage to resolve the matter and eventually assist you. The positive comments on your stay and the service received are much appreciated and will be shared with all team members at the hotel.

We do hope that the service lapse experienced will not deter you from visiting us again in future.

Prague, Czech Republic
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Stayed here for a conference in Aug 2012. Flew down form Nairobi and was met at the airport by a taxi from the hotel. Its about a 25-30 minute drive from the airport.

Quick check in which was very efficient and a glass of sparkling wine whilst I filled in the paperwork.

Room was nice and big with a separate desk and work area. Wifi was free for Priority Platinum members and you bille dit to your room and this was then subtracted when you paid your bill. It only lets you log in one item however per password so for my phone, tablet and laptop I had to log in 3 times. This caused some confusion at check out but it was all sorted.

Breakfast is hot and cold buffet and hot a la carte and is plentiful with smiling attentive staff.

On the top floor is a 'cocktail bar' that seems to be popular with a lot of the locals and also the staff when they have finished their shifts and are off work. Can't comment as I didnt really try it.
There is a small rooftop swimming pool as well.

Come out of the hotel and turn right and up to the traffic lights and this will take you to the Gautrain. The Jo'burg light transit railway. Very quick for moving around and clean and safe and reasonably cheap. Just behind the Gautrain station is a HUGE shopping complex on Nelson Mandela Square with shop to please everyone.
There are supermarkets in there so I stocked up with beer, meat, cheeses and salad and put them in my refrigerator in the hotel room.

The only thing I would watch for are the concierge guys. Very friendly and out to take as much money off you as possible.

I booked a trip to the Lion Park (well recommended) for the Saturday as I was there over the weekend.
I was initially told it would be 800Rand and this included my entrance, the taxi driver and everything else.
When I went on the Saturday it was a different guy on the concierge desk and he told me 600Rand. I didnt argue.

Chatting with the driver I found out they had given him 400Rand. So no guesses where the other 200 went. The same with the stamps. I asked how much for stamps to Europe and they told me the price. I thought that was a bit steep so I went to the post office myself in the shopping center and they were half of what the concierge desk were charging.

Nice guys, very helpful....but for a reason.

Other than that, good hotel, central for what I needed it for.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Hotel_Management2010, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Sandton - Rivonia Road, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Dear Tim_Owen,

Thank you for your overall positive feedback and providing us with so much detail around your guest experience. Knowing whether guests leave completely satisfied (or not) is key for us to improve our services and facility, hence we appreciate your valuable comments.

We sincere apologise for your disappointing experience when dealing with our concierge desk and its partner tour operators. I can assure you that your experience is not a true reflection of the level of service they aim to offer to each and every guest. This matter will be carefully investigated and the necessary measures will be put in place. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

We do hope we can welcome you back again soon at the Holiday Inn Sandton,

Yours sincerely,

New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Stayed 2 nights at the Holiday Inn Sandton on either end of a Safari trip to Kruger. Bookins for both nights were made and paid for by the same travel agent back in August 3 months prior. On arrival our first night booking was fine but we were told the return booking had been cancelled, despite us having a paid confirmation for the 2nd night it took alot of time and only when travel agent from New Zealand got involved did the issue get sorted, but someone forgot to till the front desk!!! and when we arrived we had to again get mucked around until the person(who was most helpful and the only one who seemed to have any brains!!!) arrived and sorted out. Judging by other comments and similar experiances from other travelers in other reviews this Hotel seems to have a problem with communication between staff and the same isssues seem to continue to happen. Someone needs to take responsibility and sort this stuff out, put proper processes in place etc It is a great hotel, staff are freindly, rooms are excellent skye bar is excellent and resteraunt is ok all though the waiter had no idea what was on the menu!!!! This would have been the best Hotel we stayed at on our trip if not for the check in muck ups!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Hotel_Management2010, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Sandton - Rivonia Road, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Dear peegee1,

Thank you for your frank comments and for sharing your experiences with us as well as the TripAdvisor community.

We are disappointed to hear that we have not been able to impress you upon check in when returning to our hotel. Our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused and I can assure you that this will be discussed in detail with all parties involved at the hotel.

On the other side, we acknowledge your kind feedback on the service received as well as the hotel's facilities, which will be shared with the team.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back again soon upon your next visit to South Africa.

Doha, Qatar
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

I stay in this hotel quite allot when i'm in South Africa and I like it. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The Hotel itself is always clean and comfortable. They have recently renovated the small gym in the hotel and it is much more acceptable than in past years. The location is very good. sorry to see the mall next door is closing down. It was very convenient in many ways but Nelson Mandela square is a short walk or free shuttle bus ride away.

If i were to say something less positive about this hotel. it is the internet service, it works but it is very slow in all areas. Then again talking with friends in the area, this is normal for South Africa it seems.

Room Tip: Corner exec. rooms and very good and very big