“Gem of Jo'burg” 5 of 5 stars

Denver
9 attraction reviews
“Gem of Jo'burg”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

It is so relieving to see one JHB attraction well cared for and maintained. I took my Mother for a walk to the op of the water fall and to look at the breeding Verraux's Eagles. Everything is so well looked after. We were in awe. I will return.

Visited May 2013
Lithopman, Manager at Walter Sisulu National Botanical Gardens, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
0livinglife1

Thank you very much for your review, we work very hard to maintian the standards you refer to it is very rewarding when visitors such as yourself notice it and take the time to let us know. We hope to see you again soon.

14 attraction reviews
“Standards uphelp after so many years”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I recently visited the Walter Sisulu Botanical Gardens for a friends birthday party after only ever going once before as a child. It was truely a magical place back then and I have to say that it has maintained that same standard up until today. I was pleasantly surprised by the excellent facilities and beauty that surrounded me there.

A R30 entrance fee is well worth it to experience that kind of peacefullness and beauty.

The rules are a little strict but I suppose they have good reason for that. I would have loved to have been able to play ball sports in the gardens but this is strictly prohibited as well as a number of other activities. Heavy fines and penalties are imposed on people who dont follow the rules. I feel this is a little limiting but as I said, Im sure its for good reason.

Thanks for keeping this place awesome!

Visited April 2013
Dear Jonathan

Thank you for your review, it is very inspiring for us to receive encouraging and positive response such as yours, we hope you visit us again soon.

Roodepoort, South Africa
4 attraction reviews
“Time out Time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

One morning in August 2012 I had a BAD start to the day - my wife's car was stolen that night from our house. I decide to just take a break and went to relax at the Botanical Gardens for the morning.......it was the best thing I could do. I took phots of the eagles, the people, and had lunch at the restaurant in the garden.....it changed my day. I reccomend this to anyone with a 'bad day' to just go and relax in nature....it does something to the mind. O, remember to take yur camera with- it's worth it..

Visited November 2012
Dear Herman S

Thank you for your review, we are very glad to have offered some solitude and tranquility on your "off" day. Remember to come again any day, not only on "off" days. :)

Johannesburg, South Africa
9 attraction reviews
“Good for picnics”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

I love nature, taking off my shoes and letting the earths soul pass through me. You can do that here. This garden is well manicured, offering a variety of indigenous plants and trees with placards to guide you. The entry fee is R27 for adults and R12 for scholars(bring a student card). The garden offers walking trails, a kids play area, restaurant, geological trail that is 3km long and a sun clock, there is also a beautiful waterfall and a dam. This garden is best for picnics with families, however braai's and music are not allowed as this is a conservation park. Ask for a map at the entrance to orientate yourself.

Thank you very much for your review. Regards Andrew
Johannesburg
12 attraction reviews
“World class botanical gardens”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Both as a botanical garden and a venue to relax in nature in a city, it is world class.

There is also a lovely restaurant / tea room, as well as a very popular kiddies play area, under shade in the middle of the garden.

The garden can be quite busy over weekends and on Tuesdays (when pensioners have free access), however, due to the large open spaces it never feels crowded.

Remember to take sun block and a hat.

Visited January 2013
Lithopman, Manager at Walter Sisulu National Botanical Gardens, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear Bertus

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our Botanical Garden, we are glad you enjoyed your visit and hope to see you again.