“AVOID AT ALL COSTS” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Protea Hotel Roodepoort

Save Saved
You added Protea Hotel Roodepoort to your Saves list
Protea Hotel Roodepoort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   14th Avenue & Hendrik Potgieter Street, Roodepoort 1739, South Africa   |
Ranked #2 of 2 hotels in Roodepoort
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
“AVOID AT ALL COSTS”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

We booked a double room. We got a twin room. Then we asked to move and they then moved us to a room with a 3/4 bed with BLOOD on the bedding!!! Who does that! The staff were unhelpfull and the manager incompetent. I'm shocked!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thabo R, General Manager at Protea Hotel Roodepoort, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear Alex F,

We would like to sincerely apologize for the unacceptable levels of service you received, on your recent visit to Protea Hotel Roodepoort.

I can confirm that upon hearing of your dissatisfaction I investigated the matter thoroughly and I fully agree and accept that we did not meet your expectations. Your concerns regarding our overall service, the allocation of twin room as well as the status of the bedding have since been addressed with the TEAM and I can assure you this will not happen to any of our GUESTS again. I must mention that all our rooms have either a double bed or 2 single beds, we unfortunately do not have any other size beds.

I also would like to refer to my direct communication with you and hope that you will afford us the opportunity of hosting you again to showcase our improvement and the value we place on such comments.

22 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Clarens
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

We stayed a night with my 8 month old and my 2.7 year old son. The bed was comfortable, they set up a sleeper couch for my son and a cot for my daughter without being asked. When we checked in the ladies at reception were friendly and efficient. The location is great and the Spur next door is awesome for kids!

• Stayed October 2013
Thabo R, General Manager at Protea Hotel Roodepoort, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Dear MaggieMae82,

Thank you so much for choosing to stay at Protea Hotel Roodepoort and posting such a great review on TripAdvisor, we also thank you for giving us the highest rating.

We, at Protea Hotels pride ourselves in meeting and exceeding our GUESTS expectations, I am glad we did just that.

What a wonderful ambassador you are for our hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Kind Regards,

3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

My colleagues in Johannesburg booked this hotel because it is near our shop and office facility.

The price was definitely good, the buffet that they provide is quite nice and a good value.

The service from the staff is also quite good.

The shortcomings are the lack if ironing boards and irons in the rooms. The rooms and the beds are a little dated and could use done refreshing.

Some of the better known "flagged" hotels have done a better job of updating recently which generally gets them a better rating from me, however, this hotel was just fine and I would stay there again. It just doesn't rank better than average when comparing the other places I have stayed.

• Stayed October 2013
Thabo R, General Manager at Protea Hotel Roodepoort, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear Tyrerubber,

Thank you for posting your feedback on trip advisor, regarding your recent stay at Protea Hotel Roodepoort.

GUESTS' perceptions of the service they receive and quality of the facilities is the only true yardstick we have for measuring whether or not we have met their expectations. I can assure you that your comments are being used constructively to maintain and improve, where necessary, our service standards and facilities.

We have noted your comments regarding the unavailability of irons and ironing boards and we have since implemented a stricter and more efficient procedure ensuring no other GUEST is inconvinienced in this way again.

Thank you for assuring us of your return, as we look forward to welcoming you back.

Kind Regards,

Europe
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

The previous reviewer who talks about poor maintenance has it right. Using the sink in the bathroom on the first morning, I was rather surprised when the U-bend fell off, causing the contents of the sink to fall onto the floor.

I reported this to the front desk and went about my business day. The following morning (today) the exact same thing happened! I've now escalated this to the deputy manager and await with interest what will happen next...

Room Tip: Don't choose room 408 as the U-bend falls off the sink every morning.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thabo R, General Manager at Protea Hotel Roodepoort, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Dear DjBenedict,

Thank you for posting your review on trip advisor on your recent visit. We trully value your honest feedback that assists in rectifying our shortcomings and service delivery.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the discomfort and inconvinience that you experienced during your recent stay at Protea Hotel Roodepoort. I can assure you that your experience with regards to the facilities and response from the TEAM have been taken in a serious light. Our greatest concern was that you reported the matter twice and we did not attend to the problem with the accuracy and efficiency required and I am most apologetic towards how negatively this has affected your perception of our hotel and the TEAM in general.

I refer to communication directly with you through our regional office and trully hope we have the privilage of welcoming you back as our most valued GUEST to showcase these improvements and the value we place on your comments.

Sincerely

GENERAL MANAGER
Isle of Man
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Just spent 9 nights at this location. The staff are excellent and the hotel manager should be very proud of all of them, they do an excellent job in looking after you, being friendly polite and helpful.
There is a good transfer link in the mornings and the afternoons when you need to go for the hotel to and from the office. The transfer boys were really efficient and safe drivers. The transfer to Clearwater Mall is rand 180 return. Lots of shops and a good cinema.

I only had one meal in the hotel which was okay. The downside to the hotel is there is no bar! So I highly recommend the Green and Gold which is just around the corner above the Shell garage. I was a single girl and felt safe enough to walk up and back without any worries. The pub is a real local pub, staff are friendly, menu is huge and the food was okay, cheap, cheerful pub fare.

My room was 217, a nice corner room at the back facing the business centre. Ask for a back room as some of the rooms face the highway and the highway kicks off at 4am! The room did have some maintenance issue. The window didn't close, I did mentioned it and it got closed only for the
Cleaner to open again and then I had to take a teaspoon to the window to get it closed again. My sink in the bathroom was cracked and had been for some time. It leaked!

Wifi is okay, though you're forever having to log back in and they ask you marketing questions which is annoying.

I would return again!

Thank you for looking after me. Nikki

Room Tip: At the back away from the highway
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel Roodepoort, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Dear AlbanyHouse

Thank you so much for staying with Protea Hotel Roodepoort and posting such a great review on TripAdvisor.

You mentioned that I should be proud of the STAFF for their outstanding efforts and service excellence. I could not agree with you more and I am filled with pride and gratitude to be working with such an amazing TEAM. I will pass on your positive comments to them all.

I would like to apologise for the below par maintenance that you came across and this is unacceptable. I assure you that we have addressed the problem and all your concerns are being corrected.

GUEST safety is very important to Protea Hotels and I am glad that you were able to enjoy your time in the surrounding area and felt safe to walk on your own.

What a wonderful ambassador you are and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Gurgaon, India
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I reviewed this hotel last year also & it was reasonable till then. However after 2 more stays (total of 6 stays - approx 30 nights in total) - my notion about the place changed this time.

The Staff! Unbelievably friendly when you meet them. Inspite of now having an easy surname (for non Indians), some of the receptionists always addressed me as Mr. Agarwal (without even looking at my records)! The receptionists were always smiling & willing to help.

The Bed - Very cosy bed & very quiet room. You can have a good night sleep here!

Issues -

Maintenance - Maintenance at this place seems to have taken a back seat. I experienced things like torn towels in washroom, staff forgetting to keep towels, very little water pressure in shower & no repair of the same inspite of repeated requests with maintenance. Also the rooms have wall to wall carpets, which have started to stink a bit now (it appears they are not cleaned regularly)

Amenities - Very minimal. No fitness center (you can use Virgin Fitness next door for 110 ZAR per day), no pool, no inhouse cafeteria (except for breakfast & light snacks). I reached the hotel at 11:30 in the night and there was only 1 staff (receptionist) in the whole hotel & thus no food. They have eben stopped keeping shoe mitts in the room (now provided only on request)! No room slippers & no towel gown.

Breakfast - For a price of ZAR135, the breakfast is a big disappointment. The quality of preparations, specially of croissants & danish pastries is far below the expected level. The spread is very small with very limited options, both in cold & hot sections.

Overall, a reasonable place to stay in Roodepoort (for lack of choices). They need to pull up their quality now.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel Roodepoort, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear prateek2410

Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor. I appreciate the honest feedback and your continuous support of Protea Hotel Roodepoort.

It is very disappointing to hear of the concerns raised during your stay at our hotel. There is no excuse for the maintenance issues and I have addressed these matters with the relevant people.

We are a limited services hotel that caters majority of the time, for the corporate market and the room amenities and hotel facilities are in alignment with that. However, we are more than happy to put the shoe mits in your room during your next stay. We have negotiated preferred rates for our GUESTS at the nearby Virgin Active Fitness Centre to accommodate for those wanting to work out on their travels.

I am truly sorry for your below par experience and look forward to welcoming you back to show you true Protea hospitality.

Liège
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

The pressure of the working day vanishes once you enter reception. Friendly and welcoming staff offers a welcome drink while reception formalities get done. Rooms are fresh, clean, modern and comfortable. Very Good ! No pool or fitness center found but I actually did not look for it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel Roodepoort, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear mco2805

It is great to hear about your wonderful experience with the hotel and STAFF. Thank you for posting such a lovely review on TripAdvisor.

We pride ourselves on offering a fresh room, which is comfortable and clean, to every GUEST. I will commend the STAFF on the attitude you speak of and will also relay this message to the rest of the TEAM.

I am pleased to let you know that there is a fitness centre nearby for GUESTS to use on their travels.

Your comments add to our motivation to strive for excellence and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Protea Hotel Roodepoort

Been to Protea Hotel Roodepoort? Share your experiences!