“Good location for Business in Constantia” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Protea Hotel Roodepoort

You added Protea Hotel Roodepoort to your Saves list
Protea Hotel Roodepoort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   14th Avenue & Hendrik Potgieter Street, Roodepoort 1739, South Africa   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Roodepoort
Isle of Man
“Good location for Business in Constantia”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Just spent 9 nights at this location. The staff are excellent and the hotel manager should be very proud of all of them, they do an excellent job in looking after you, being friendly polite and helpful.
There is a good transfer link in the mornings and the afternoons when you need to go for the hotel to and from the office. The transfer boys were really efficient and safe drivers. The transfer to Clearwater Mall is rand 180 return. Lots of shops and a good cinema.

I only had one meal in the hotel which was okay. The downside to the hotel is there is no bar! So I highly recommend the Green and Gold which is just around the corner above the Shell garage. I was a single girl and felt safe enough to walk up and back without any worries. The pub is a real local pub, staff are friendly, menu is huge and the food was okay, cheap, cheerful pub fare.

My room was 217, a nice corner room at the back facing the business centre. Ask for a back room as some of the rooms face the highway and the highway kicks off at 4am! The room did have some maintenance issue. The window didn't close, I did mentioned it and it got closed only for the
Cleaner to open again and then I had to take a teaspoon to the window to get it closed again. My sink in the bathroom was cracked and had been for some time. It leaked!

Wifi is okay, though you're forever having to log back in and they ask you marketing questions which is annoying.

I would return again!

Thank you for looking after me. Nikki

Room Tip: At the back away from the highway
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel Roodepoort, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Dear AlbanyHouse

Thank you so much for staying with Protea Hotel Roodepoort and posting such a great review on TripAdvisor.

You mentioned that I should be proud of the STAFF for their outstanding efforts and service excellence. I could not agree with you more and I am filled with pride and gratitude to be working with such an amazing TEAM. I will pass on your positive comments to them all.

I would like to apologise for the below par maintenance that you came across and this is unacceptable. I assure you that we have addressed the problem and all your concerns are being corrected.

GUEST safety is very important to Protea Hotels and I am glad that you were able to enjoy your time in the surrounding area and felt safe to walk on your own.

What a wonderful ambassador you are and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Protea Hotel Roodepoort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Gurgaon, India
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I reviewed this hotel last year also & it was reasonable till then. However after 2 more stays (total of 6 stays - approx 30 nights in total) - my notion about the place changed this time.

The Staff! Unbelievably friendly when you meet them. Inspite of now having an easy surname (for non Indians), some of the receptionists always addressed me as Mr. Agarwal (without even looking at my records)! The receptionists were always smiling & willing to help.

The Bed - Very cosy bed & very quiet room. You can have a good night sleep here!

Issues -

Maintenance - Maintenance at this place seems to have taken a back seat. I experienced things like torn towels in washroom, staff forgetting to keep towels, very little water pressure in shower & no repair of the same inspite of repeated requests with maintenance. Also the rooms have wall to wall carpets, which have started to stink a bit now (it appears they are not cleaned regularly)

Amenities - Very minimal. No fitness center (you can use Virgin Fitness next door for 110 ZAR per day), no pool, no inhouse cafeteria (except for breakfast & light snacks). I reached the hotel at 11:30 in the night and there was only 1 staff (receptionist) in the whole hotel & thus no food. They have eben stopped keeping shoe mitts in the room (now provided only on request)! No room slippers & no towel gown.

Breakfast - For a price of ZAR135, the breakfast is a big disappointment. The quality of preparations, specially of croissants & danish pastries is far below the expected level. The spread is very small with very limited options, both in cold & hot sections.

Overall, a reasonable place to stay in Roodepoort (for lack of choices). They need to pull up their quality now.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel Roodepoort, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear prateek2410

Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor. I appreciate the honest feedback and your continuous support of Protea Hotel Roodepoort.

It is very disappointing to hear of the concerns raised during your stay at our hotel. There is no excuse for the maintenance issues and I have addressed these matters with the relevant people.

We are a limited services hotel that caters majority of the time, for the corporate market and the room amenities and hotel facilities are in alignment with that. However, we are more than happy to put the shoe mits in your room during your next stay. We have negotiated preferred rates for our GUESTS at the nearby Virgin Active Fitness Centre to accommodate for those wanting to work out on their travels.

I am truly sorry for your below par experience and look forward to welcoming you back to show you true Protea hospitality.

Liège
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

The pressure of the working day vanishes once you enter reception. Friendly and welcoming staff offers a welcome drink while reception formalities get done. Rooms are fresh, clean, modern and comfortable. Very Good ! No pool or fitness center found but I actually did not look for it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel Roodepoort, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear mco2805

It is great to hear about your wonderful experience with the hotel and STAFF. Thank you for posting such a lovely review on TripAdvisor.

We pride ourselves on offering a fresh room, which is comfortable and clean, to every GUEST. I will commend the STAFF on the attitude you speak of and will also relay this message to the rest of the TEAM.

I am pleased to let you know that there is a fitness centre nearby for GUESTS to use on their travels.

Your comments add to our motivation to strive for excellence and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Ravenshoe, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Through my work I have stayed in many hotels from Europe through to the North Americas. My stay at the Protea Hotel Roodepoort was a very comfortable & pleasing experience. I found all the staff to be exceptionally friendly and helpful. A smile is always returned and service is prompt and efficient.

The breakfast meals were of good quality and choice. Housekeeping was efficient and the rooms were always tidy. During my stays in the Protea , I have been booked into rooms on both the lower and upper floors and found both venues are equally comfortable.

The convenience of the location and the supportive, welcoming staff really made these stays both relaxing and enjoyable. Well done to all.

Bill Hardy

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel Roodepoort, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear Bill H

It is truly humbling to receive such positive feedback regarding all aspects of your experience at Protea Hotel Roodepoort. Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor.

We are very conscious of the impact that friendly STAFF make during ones stay. Our TEAM is passionate about offering the best GUEST service and they do their utmost to create a welcoming environment for all. I will be sharing your comments with them about their exceptional performance.

The breakfast, tidy rooms and convenient location await your next stay; as do the STAFF. I hope you had a safe trip home.

South Africa, Gauteng
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

I know this is rather late, but rather later than never. We went for a weekend to this hotel - my wife, son and me! From the welcoming drink, to the treatment at the front desk - we felt like royalty. The friendliness and helpfulness of the staff is superb. The rooms are clean and fresh, while dinner an breakfast was very good. After a few moments there my son remarked: "Now this is life!" I have stayed at another Protea Hotel in Johannesburg recently - supposed to be more upmarket than this one - but this one shines like a piece of gold in comparison to it!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view on the dam when you check in.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel Roodepoort, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear JuanMienie

GUEST feedback is always welcome, so better late than never is exactly right. Thank you so much for the 5 star rating and I especially enjoyed your title.

Offering the best GUEST service is what we strive for and the fact that you and your family felt like royalty is reassuring. I will congratulate the STAFF on their friendly and helpful approach to all GUESTS.

Attention to detail is a must and that is evident in the clean and fresh rooms. A holiday would not be complete without tasty food and the chef will be thrilled to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your meals with us.

Thank you once again and we hope to see you soon.

Tokai
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

In December, me and my family stayed at the Protea Hotel in Roodepoort. The room was ok with all the usual amenities that you can expect at any other Protea Hotel. The staff was friendly. The only problem that I had is that there wasn't a pool to cool off in after a long and hot day of travelling. Their restaurant is quite small and part of the reception area of the hotel (open plan). Luckily there is a Spur next to the hotel, we had supper there. One thing I can say though is that they have an awesome breakfast with a fairly great variety of dishes.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel Roodepoort, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear VeraTokai

December holidays are always special times to spend with family and friends and I thank you for choosing Protea Hotel Roodepoort to do that.

I am proud to say that the STAFF is very helpful, welcoming and friendly, and I am delighted to hear of your compliments towards them. I will definitely pass them on.

The Africa sun gets very hot in December and I am sorry that there was no swimming pool for you to cool off in.

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and we do our best to provide a great selection of fresh foods. The chef will be thrilled to hear of the outstanding comment you made about our breakfasts.

I hope you had a safe trip home and looking forward to welcoming you back.

Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Stayed at the Protea Hotel Roodepoort for 10 days - hotel room really comfortable, breakfast amazing coffees great. Room basic but when I said I needed a bar fridge for my medication etc one was deliveered. I found the staff to be so helpful and friendly and when I was ill for a day the fussed over me and kept asking for a few days after if I was well again. I would stay here again for business etc for sure. Great Spur restaurant right next door.

Room Tip: I came with a party of people and out of 11 of us only one person had a problem with their shower so...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thabo R, General Manager at Protea Hotel Roodepoort, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Dear GUEST,

Thank you for your words of appreciation and GUEST Feedback that you completed on trip advisor. We are delighted to receive your compliments and we will certainly congratulate the STAFF for their exemplary service.

It was our pleasure to accommodate you, and your interest and loyalty are truly invaluable to us. Please feel free to contact me personally for any assistance you may require from our side in future. We look forward to welcoming you to Protea Hotel Roodepoort and to hearing from you again!

Kind Regards,

GENERAL MANAGER

Been to Protea Hotel Roodepoort? Share your experiences!