“Does not live up to the hype” 2 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Italian, French, Mediterranean, Fusion
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: La Pentola established in 1995 is the perfect venue for executive chef/owner Shane Sauvage's authentic fusion cuisine. The atmosphere is cozy, romantic and relaxed. All food is prepared to order, using only the very best quality ingredients, real butter, fresh cream and fresh herbs.Yes absolutely no MSG! The menu by internationally renowned executive Chef/ Patron & award winning author Shane Sauvage,comprises of a large variety of fresh seafood (Mozambique Style Prawns, free range cuts of beef (KWV Fillet, hand made pasta, exotic game dishes, a great selection of vegetarian fare (Aztec Mushrooms) and a decadent selection of in-house deserts (Chocolate Terrine). La Pentola offers a Diamond award wine list with a large variety of local and international wines. We are an A la Carte restaurant that also caters for corporate functions, intimate weddings and special occasions. Open Monday to Sunday Lunch & Dinner.
Pretoria, South Africa
“Does not live up to the hype”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

My wife and I attended this establishment with high-hopes but were ultimately not satisfied. It is as if the restaurant tries too hard. Positive things first, we had a great welcoming cocktail. That said, my wife’s calamari and cherry fusion dish was drowned in cherry. One would expect a carefully prepared dish, with accents of the flavours. We could not taste the seafood at all. My dessert had to be flambéed with Stroh-rum. After dousing it with the shot, the lighter did not work. At the time the waitress arrived with a new lighter, my dessert was blessed with another shot and set alight. By that time it had soaked up the first shot and it ruined the taste.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

“Another old favourite!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

La Pentola has been around for decades which is always a good sign. The food is superb and the specials of the day always creative. The restaurant is amazing but the decor doesn't match the first class food. Its very outdated and a bit shabby! A good makeover would make this a perfect venue for any special occasion!

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa
“Fantastic food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

Not much too look at, but the food is special! Visited here once and was impressed. Then booked again for a family birthday and was blown away again! This place did not lye me down. The pallet cleansers, sorbets, are great. But have to say the livers in phyllo are a must.

• Visited February 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Still unbelievable!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

Last night my family and I went to La Pentola to celebrate my Moms birthday. The evening was perfect in every way. The explosion of flavours blows my mind EVERY TIME. I tried the curry pot it was crazy delicious. Thank you for an amazing evening! P.s The liver starter and mussel starter is amazing. Mmmm yum!

“Date Night”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

I was driving past and saw the La Pentola sign. Because my wife and I try to eat out once a week, I decided to try them. I booked a table and arrived at about 7pm.
The waiter was excelent, he brought us the wine menu, we ordered cocktails which promptly arrived. He then took time to explain exactly how the specials as well as items on the main menu were prepared.
Our starters arrived and normally the wife and I get to taste each others choice of starter. This time there was no chance of that. We agreed that we did not want to share as the taste was superb. We both ordered medium rare steak, and it was the first time ever that I ordered medium rare and the chef got it right first time. He did not get it right by chance, because both our steaks were perfectly cooked.
I will be visiting La Pentola again soon.
Well done chef, waiter and front of the house.

• Visited January 2014