“Mixed feelings...” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Centurion
“Mixed feelings...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

Maybe "mixed feelings" is the start of a bad review? Our experience wasn't perfect - I emailed to make a booking and had to follow up a day later, to receive a reply another day later. Arrived on the night - cold and chilly, to be escorted past a very packed and stuffy restaurant, to a table that was obviously shoved in at the last minute, it was so close to the others that I could barely pull my chair out. We didn't even sit down, and requested a table outside. Yes, it was better to be outside in the cold than inside.... After going through the trouble of making a reservation, this was almost a deal breaker. If it wasn't for my husband's craving for Beef Wellington, we would probably have left and tried some of the other restaurants in the immediate vicinity. The "mixed feelings" part comes in when talking about the waiter and our food. The waiter (I think his name was Cosmos?) was very attentive, without being intrusive. Our food was quite tasty, but sitting outside it got cold very quickly. Going on the reputation of Beluga CPT and JHB, we were eager to try it out - but were a tad disappointed. I will not say that we won't go back - will probably try again for a Saturday lunch or a time where it is not so important to see how many people can be cramped into a relatively small space? The lack of ambience was definitely a downer....

• Visited June 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Johannesburg, South Africa
“Needs a bit of work...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

Having dined at the Cape Town Belugas a number of times, I found this sister restaurant to be a bit of a foster child. The food was OK, but the place lacks in charm and has nothing that would make me rush back for. At those prices, there are better options in the area.

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
“Terrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

Food was not good
Service even worste
Needs to pick up the fame big time
Very dissatisfied with the restaurant
Sushi very badly made
Fish was rubbery and over cooked

“Very poor quality”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

I just had dinner at the establishment and it was a very bad experience. I ordered the lamb shoulder 80% was fat, the gravy was out of a packet and there were no veg in sight. The dessert I ordered to make up for the fact I was still hungry was awful! The Lindt beignets were doughy and the icecream tasted like they hadn't fully mixed the base so you could taste the powdered milk.

Also they need to open a smoking section or guests upstairs need walk down, because opening the emergency door in the middle of winter every time so smokers can have a pull is inconsiderate and bloody freezing!

Pretoria, South Africa
“Disappointing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014 via mobile

Arriving for our first dinner me and my wife were quite excited. On a chilly night we were taken upstairs and it was cosy and warm. However, when we took our jackets off we realised that the space was utterly charmless: much like a primary school hall or a conference centre. The menu is complicated and confusing, the food was below par and the service left a lot to be desired. Will we go back? Definitely not.

Visited June 2014