“Guest HOME and not guest house!” 5 of 5 stars

40 on Ilkey B&B
40 Ilkey Road | Lynnwood Glen Estate, Pretoria 81, South Africa   |
Ranked #40 of 303 Pretoria B&B and Inns
Lagos, Nigeria
“Guest HOME and not guest house!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

staying in this hotel has been like a home for me.The staff of the hotel are very fiendly,responds speedily to any of my needs within the hotel premises and related with me as though we had known each other for long.The ambience of the hotel makes me feel as though i'm at home.The hotel environment is extremely clean.i cannot but comment on the location of the hotel;quiet,calm and not rowdy.the security of its location is lovely and well organised.I therefore say that if you want a cool,serene and secured environment while planning your trip to pretoria,THINK 40 on ILKEY B&B.

Room Tip: rooms in the main house are better but in any case,you are covered.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

I travel to Pretoria for business and are normally booked at 40 on Ilkey. The experience there always makes it feel more like holiday as being there for work. The staff became like family (those family you actually look forward to see, lol) and the relaxing and friendly atmosphere makes you forget that you are in the middle of a big city. Situated so conveniently is also a big plus on my trips.
One of the features of this guesthouse is the lovely room and comfortable beds with cushions. Rooms are always spotlessly neat. I look forward to my next visit soon and being greeted by Danel and her friendly and professional staff. Thanks for being my holiday home in the big city.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Bloemfontein, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

40 on Ilkey is always my first choice when staying in Pretoria, which is frequent due to the nature of my line of work.
Ilkey is restful, peaceful and homey. Here you can relax and rejuvenate when on vacation and recharge your batteries when preparing for a busy day when on business. It’s ideally located near Menlyn and the many attractions on offer in Pretoria.
When staying at Ilkey, apart from the regular amenities, things I look forward to is you will always be greeted by the aroma of fresh coffee as you walk in the door, relaxing on the veranda, looking out on the rose garden teeming with birdlife, a great night’s sleep in comfy bed, enjoying a scrumptious breakfast in the morning while chatting to Danél, the go-getter owner of the guesthouse.
What’s sets 40 on Ilkey apart from the rest, is that there are no pretences – it simply is. Quality and customer satisfaction are top priority.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
KL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012 via mobile

I was posted to Pretoria for work and my company put me up at 40 on Ilkey. Coming from Asia - I have mind set that I will be put up in a hotel instead of B&B. Looking back, there were no regrets staying over in 40 on Ilkey, in fact, it was the best decision over.

Danel and Johan - such amazing host with great hospitality. Immediately, you know that they treat you like a family member rather than a guest. I am thankful for their hospitality and their generoucity. I felt at home during my 1 month stay with them. Food is fantastic and sharing stories/life experiences with the host over dinner makes my trip a very memorable one.They even let me use their kitchen! :)

I would go back and stay if ever I am back in Pretoria. It's like going back to a second home. Highly recommended!

• Stayed July 2012
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

What a pleasant surprise. In this day and age of "dis-connected" humans it is good to get some positive feedback. Let us hope we can do some moe business in Menlyn or the surrounding area to first hand experience the improvements!
Thank you...

Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2011

On a recent trip we only needed a place to sleep for one night. From reviews and because of the close proximity of the establishment to the place we had to do business the following morning, we booked in for the one night.

Although nothing was wrong per se… we did find one or two niggles.

Some of the regulars – a younger crowd – were quite noisy for an extended period in the early hours of the morning after returning from wherever they spent the evening. So our much looked forward to good night’s rest after a nearly 1 000km journey, was unfortunately not to be.

Another little niggle is the floor of the shower in our room which consisted of, what looked like natural stone river pebbles, about the size of golf balls, inlaid in cement. The surface is extremely uneven and the shape of the pebbles is not very round in certain instances. Although interesting as a design feature, it is a killer for tired feet!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
40onilkey, Owner at 40 on Ilkey B&B, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Dear Adamastos,
Thank you for your review of 40 on Ilkey B&B. We have listened and are proud to announce that we have now changed all our bathroom shower floors to high quality ceramic tiles. We also sat down with the management of the rowdy bunch and established a good understanding of house rules. These are closely monitored.
I hope that we'll see you again at 40 on Ilkey B&B. We are still well placed for business around Menlyn.
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2011

I have always felt completely at home on the many occasions I've stayed at 40 on Ilkey. The staff are friendly, attentive and discretely always on hand. The hosts are hospitable and helpful.
The rooms are clean, well-serviced and have comfortable beds. Many of the rooms have views of the beautiful garden. The optional dinners are always healthy home-cooked treats, often taking advantage of organic produce from the garden.
This B&B is located in a quiet, leafy suburb close to the N1 freeway providing quick access to Pretoria and Centurion. It is also a 2 minute drive from the Menlyn Park shopping mall.
All in all, it's a great place both to get work done and also to relax.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business

Been to 40 on Ilkey B&B? Share your experiences!