“Friendly, affordable backpackers in a safe neighborhood” 3 of 5 stars

You added 1322 Backpackers International to your Saves list
1322 Backpackers International
1322 Arcadia Street | Hatfield, Pretoria 0083, South Africa   |
Hollywood, CA
“Friendly, affordable backpackers in a safe neighborhood”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011

Very friendly, welcoming backpackers in a quiet, safe neighborhood. It's a bit funny because the sleeping quarters are actually in a series of little storage sheds in the backyard. That said, we were there on a cold, rainy night, and it was perfectly dry and cozy in our room. The bed is comfy and there is a sink in the room; showers and toilets are coed and shared. Nice pool, bar/outdoor hangout area and a very nice kitchen. Pricewise, this was one of the best deals we had in S. Africa for a double room, and we really appreciated how easy it was to hold the room – a quick phone call, no deposit necessary.

Wifi works near the main house (not in the rooms in the back) and costs R20 per hour – honor system for payment. There is secure, gated parking.

One more note, we asked where we could find bobotie in town and the owner said if we'd told her in advance, she would have cooked it for us – now that is personalized backpacker service!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

I found 1322 through Trip Advisor, and I'm delighted I did. I stayed in three different hostels whilst I was in South Africa, and this was, by a long way, the best. Yzelle (the owner) and Maj (the other member of staff) were both fantastic. I left after 6 nights, but ended up coming back for my final 3 nights in SA because it was so good. I stayed in a few different rooms, all of which were nice, clean and functional.

In terms of its location, it's also ideal. Hatfield is a pretty safe suburb of Pretoria, has a good night life about 10 minutes walk away, and the Guatrain (the new, very safe, train to Pretoria, the airport, Sandton and other parts of Joburg) just round the corner.

Price wise it's also very reasonable, 9 nights there cost me in the region of £120. They also have a laundry service and a nice bar.There were always people about, and it had a very friendly atmosphere.

I can't sing the praises of 1322 loudly enough.

Room Tip: My tip would be: if you're booking far enough in advance, ask for one of the small single rooms...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Brandon, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2011

1322 Backpackers International was a wonderful place to stay. The atmosphere was definitely welcoming, comfortable, and the African/International decor topped it all off. Maj (one of the women who manages the place) was amazing! She was accommodating in every sense of the word. We had comfortable beds, hot showers, wireless internet, and were a 5-minute walk from Hatfield Square (cafe and pub central). I highly recommend 1322 if you are ever in Pretoria!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Vilaculos
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2011

Hey everybody.
I absolutely recommend you stay at 1322 backpackers international.
The hostel is very clean and super secure.
I really like the owner and the staff are very cool too.
If you are looking for a great place to stay then book in at 1322 backpackers for real.
The beds are very very comfortable and the showers are amazing.
There is wireless internet Satellite tv and a very nice kitchen to make meals.
The bar is cozy and the gardens are beautiful.
There is a place 5 minutes away called Hatfield square were i have been partying with the locals for the past two night and let me tell you Pretoria rocks.
I give the hostel my two thumbs up and will always spread the word about this hidden gem.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2011

I stayed at this hostel for 3 nights in January 2011, deciding to chose Pretoria over Johannesburg for my first few days in South Africa. I was met with a great, friendly attitude by the staff from the moment I first called to reserve my bed right up to the moment I left the hostel. Even though I arrived late at night (and later than I had intended due to delays at JNB airport) I was made to feel very welcome. They arranged a pick up for me from Jo'burg Airport which was very helpful. Nothing was too much trouble for them during my stay, they were always helpful with taxi reservations and local information as well as information about other areas in South Africa. I wasn't aware at the time of booking, but the hostel also offers bike rental (very cheap) and they do put out bread, jam etc for breakfast in the morning which is a nice addition and is free! There is plenty of local information on noticeboards in the hostel and they have a small selection of South African travel guides in the reception too, as well as very reasonably priced internet access (not wifi).

The kitchen was always clean, tidy and well equiped and the staff even offered me some cooking tips for South African food that I wanted to try! The bar area was usually buzzing with conversation and/or music during my stay too! I also felt secure here with locked doors in the dorms, buzzer entry, safe access and a security guard at night time too, although the area the hostel is located in is residential and fairly quiet anyway.

To sumarise then, a great, very fairly priced hostel with brilliant staff. I certainly hope to visit again!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
Antwerp, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2010

Despite we were there during the world cup, and the hostel was full, Tim and Monique always were available for any requirement or even the simplest question we had. The hostel is secure and will give you the chance to have a great time there.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Amsterdam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2010

We decided to stay here based on their website. It turned out their website is hopelessly outdate and their prices therefore are much higher. This was kind of disappointing.

The Wendy we stayed in was a bit damp, but otherwise not to bad. The location of this hostel is great and cleaniness very good.

Best thing about this hostel are the friendly crowd it draws and their dog Sherlock.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to 1322 Backpackers International? Share your experiences!