“superior guest house” 5 of 5 stars

Add it.
No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pretoria
Birdwood Guest House
Save Saved
You added Birdwood Guest House to your Saves list
5.0 of 5 Guest house   |   976 Arcadia Street, Pretoria 2004, South Africa   |
Ranked #59 of 300 Pretoria B&B and Inns
cape town
“superior guest house”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I used to stay in the Courtyard in Arcadia until I discovered Birdwood by chance, and I never went back. I love the size, seclusion, and decoration of the rooms (well cottages mostly). There's a wonderful pool. Service is excellent; the waiters wear bow ties in the morning and the evening. And its the little touches, the attention to detail, the chocolates on the pillow, the dressing gown set out that makes this a five-star gem.

Room Tip: Choose the rooms in the cottages at the back and not the main house
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Sollentuna, Sverige
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

I've stayed here on two occasions, once upstairs in the main building and once in a garden room. On both occasions the hosts turned themselves inside out to make our stay as comfortable as possible. The rooms are each personally decorated, with lots of space and comfy beds. Food is very nice, and the kitchen staff are quite loveable. Home away from home!

Room Tip: Choose a room in the garden to also get a terrace
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

I stayed here a couple of years ago. My memories are of a lovely mini-village of rooms in a variety of buildings around verdant gardens. There is a pool, and excellent cooking from the friendly staff. Security is good. I would not hesitate to return.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
West Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

Birdwood was first recommended to me in 1998. I went then, and have been back just about every year since, most recently in April 2012. Too many visits to count. I guess I have, at one time or another, slept in every room in the place, both main house, and the several garden cottages, many of them several times over. In my experience, every room on offer is more spacious and more pleasant than most hotel rooms anywhere.

Sure, the main house, over a century old now, shows its age a bit, but that is part of the wonderful charm.

The setting in Arcadia is quiet, safe and convenient. The grounds exude tranquility whatever season of the year, though I do miss the little ducklings that once lived on the tiny pond and in the fountains. Unlike other reviewers, I've never braved the pool in winter, but it is wonderfully refreshing in summer, and its setting makes it a quiet, private retreat.

The breakfasts are above average for B and B's, the optional dinners are always good and, when business tied me to my room through mid-day, the staff have always been willing to produce a good lunch, often at very short notice.

The service is always personal, caring and gracious. And they will go beyond the call of duty attending to personal needs: over the years they have found me drivers, doctors, hairdressers, hearing aid batteries, dry cleaners, couriers - they even once baked a proper USA style pumpkin pie for me to take to a Thanksgiving dinner party at the home of an ex-pat American (though I had to supply the recipe)!

But it is Santie, her family and her staff who make Birdwood home for me. They are all simply wonderful, from the welcome on arrival to the personal "good bye, go well" at the end of your visit.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

From the first phone call to the final good bye, we had such a pleasant and enjoyable experience. The rooms are comfy, the food is delicious, and the staff are incredibly friendly! A special thanks to Efraim and Greta for taking care of us and seeing that our needs were met quickly and effectively.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

Spent a week at this wonderful guest house. I have no complaints. My room was sunny, spacious and clean. The bed was very comfortable. The grounds are beautiful and there is excellent security.

The breakfasts and dinners were wonderful. Friendly and attentive staff that go the extra mile to make sure you are having a pleasant stay.

There is a small outdoor pool but because it was winter, it was never in use.

I would recommend, without hesitation.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2011

Just finished a one week stay at Birdwood and now I finally understand why people staying in guest houses. I stayed in the main house in a beautiful, old style room with en-suite and dressing room which was far more comfortable for the length of stay than a hotel room ever could be. The level of service was excellent and the food and wine was of a suitably high quality.

I understand the comments of a few of the other posters - in that there were a couple of things wrong maintenance-wise but I found that I honestly didn't care. Once I had settled in (took a couple of hours as I was a little bit suspiscious of the whole guest house thing) it was like I was staying with friends of the family who didn't expect me to hang out with them.

The final day was the best - Santie gave me a late check to allow me to pack and depart after I finished work and also provided a nice light meal before my flight.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business

Been to Birdwood Guest House? Share your experiences!