“A little bit run down, but good” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Farm Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Pretoria
The Farm Inn
Silverlakes Road, Pretoria 0041, South Africa   |
Ranked #15 of 67 hotels in Pretoria
Windhoek
“A little bit run down, but good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stayed here for one night and found the Farm Inn to be pleasant overall. We were three and as such had a family room. It was comfortable and convenient for us. We had drinks in the bar and lounge - service was good. The rooms however do feel as though they need a little bit of attention.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

48 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Maun, Botswana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

This place was recommended by some friends living nearby. At first I thouhht the name is rather not appealing, and I found also very mixed reviews here on this platform. But I decided to give it a try, and found this place to be quite pleasant. The reservation communication was fast and effective. I was surprised that they did not ask for a credit card to guarantee. Even on arrival they did not take any form of deposit which I liked as it made me feel respected and trusted. The location worked perfectly for me as my friends a just a few minutes away AND the surrounding area seems safe and is generally rather quite. I booked for 3 nights, but ended up extending. It was a nice surprise to realize that they gave me an upgrade to a suite when checking in. Lucky fo rme it had a fireplace as Pretoria was very chilly these days and coming from the Middle East, I was freezing... I stayed in suite 56 which is far from the main building. It's was great to sit on the balcony and see various domestic and wild animals passing by. The hotel supplies the usual bathroom amenities as well as kettle for tea / coffee making, even daily refill of cookies. Unfortunately, the outside lights an the pathway and above the door where not working. Even after telling them, they did not fix the one above the door so I had to use a lighter to find the key hole. Also the A/C did not heat as it was said. I asked to get it checked but it would still only blow air without heating. I have seen these models heat in other places though. Shame that they did not get that right. The only thing I missed in the room where a luggage rack [would have been enough space] and a hair dryer [which can be borrowed from reception]. The isolation of the rooms is bad so in winter it's quit cold inside, especially the bathroom. I also had quite some issues with the hot / cold water. It needs to run for a while to be warm and then it went either cold or boiling, very difficult to get a comfortable temperature. Since I have long hair I had troubles washing them. I was absolutely surprised with the laundry service. I handed it in at 9am and it was returned at 3:30pm same day and it all looked in order. The breakfast was good, there could be a bit more done on food safety e.g. putting cheese / meats also on ice and covering items. The selection was appropriate, nothing fancy with rotating items and eggs cooked to your liking a la minute. Lunch was better than expected, I had a roast beef bagel which was really nicely presented with salad bouquet, and it was tasty as well. I ate nearly every night dinner in the restaurant which can get boring when you stay longer than 4 days. Would be nice to have a daily special to have a bit more choice then. Overall, the food was excellent. Only once I did not like the fish which they took off my bill. The prawns are not of a high quality so I would recommend to stick to the meat dishes. All portions are huge! One dessert is good for two people. A plus is that you will hear the lions which makes your African experience perfect. However, if you do one of the "game drives" don't expect too much. It's after all a small place which cannot support too many animals. I am also a bit indifferent about the tigers as they are not native to Africa. Some enclosures did not seem appropriate. Overall, I will stay there again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

Really excellent place to visit and comfortable stay. Listening to the lions roaring during the night really made it quite a magical start to great African holiday!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Erie, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

We spent the past ten days at The Farm Inn and I enjoyed every moment. The rooms are wonderfully African (with a touch of luxury). Waking up under a high thatched roof is a great experience! The breakfast buffet is one of the best I've ever had. The service is excellent. We ate all our dinners on site and the food was top notch. Most evenings we ate outside either in the formal garden or at the casual tables. There are safari trips offered on the hotel grounds. The pool area is well-kept and comfortable. And face it, waking up to the the far off sounds of lions bellowing to each other is just magical!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Vienna, Austria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

The Farm Inn is about an hour from the JNB airport it's a good place to wind down from a long trip to SA, plus it's in a peaceful setting. No need to leave the premises for your stay as all meals can be eaten on site. Rooms are appointed in African themed decor and many rooms have views that provide entertainment (wildlife). The breakfast buffet (included) is well done and includes made to order omelets. The dinners were not included, however both nights the food was excellent. However the service is in general very slow. The optional game drive is very affordable and despite the "captive" animals it provides a good introduction and is worthwhile.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the grasslands - not inward towards the inn.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Brasilia, DF
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012

I liked a lot the experience at Farm Inn, the hotel staff was extremelly helpful and friendly! Arranged for me and my group both transportation and bookings for the desired restaurants. Breakfast is excellent as well, possibly one of the best in South Africa, if not at least in Pretoria! This is a must visit hotel, they have a area were they rayse lions that can be seen and heard most of the time and if you are lucky you may also find some cubs!

My room was big, facing the green area that surounds the hotel and very calm.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Detroit, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

I was with a group of six on business travel, 2 week stay. We selected this hotel because we wanted the African Experience. The hotel and grounds were indeed the African Experience. The hotel has an adjacent animal park, thatched roofs, cobblestone walks, large lawns, etc...all giving us the impression we were far from civilization. That was all quite interesting. Food and service was good. We ate once at the Garden Restaurant (lawn area) which was quite nice. Beware that some guest rooms are better than others. Traveling with a group of six, I discovered some rooms have air conditioning, most do not. Most have bathtubs with a separate shower stall, some have only bathtubs. In my room, there was no electical outlet in the bathroom. The area rugs were a bit used and needed cleaning. Hair dryers and electical adapters are available on request. Someone recommended 'Peaceful Sleep' (insect repellent). This help alot; I wish I knew about this on day one. Bugs seemed to find my irresistable. I slept with the windows open because my room didn't have air conditioning. I'm sure that didn't help with the bug issue as no screens on the windows.
So....if you want the African Experience. This is the place for you. If you demand all the comforts and niceities, then find another place.
P.S. We took a picture with Duma the cheetah. That was quite fun. Duma is quite tame.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with air conditioning
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Farm Inn? Share your experiences!