“Nice Hotel but very misleading” 2 of 5 stars

City Lodge Hotel Hatfield
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   407 Hilda Street, Pretoria 28, South Africa   |
Ranked #24 of 67 Hotels in Pretoria
Ottawa, Canada
“Nice Hotel but very misleading”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

The hotel was safe and clean but I was a little disappointed. I was there on business for 8 days and the biggest issue was the internet.

They state you get wifi with your reservation but what they leave out is you actually get 1 hour or 100 mb of complementary access daily. If you do anything online you can probably gather that your largest expense will be paying for access. Also the connection was general slow. I ended up going to a restaurant around the corner called Spur's that offer free unlimited wifi access to get work done. It is pretty much their Denny's.

Breakfast
Expensive for what you get. I think it was 110 RAND a day. you can walk around the corner and eat a similar meal in a restaurant for 40 RAND.

Bar
Had one drink since it was rarely manned during the day. Alcohol is so cheap in south Africa just walk across the street and pick something up for a 6th of the price and service will be faster.

Gym
The list that they had a full gym for guest use. But the reality is that it is actually a small room off the dinning room with 6 different dumbbell weight, a bench, exercise ball with no air. Treadmill that is fairly sketchy and an elliptical want to be. Was very discouraging. But there is a gym beside the hotel that you can pay for a visitor pass and get an actual workout.

No room service. You can call fast food places to deliver to your hotel room. I did not eat in their dinning room and when I went down it did not look like anyone else did.

If i ever return I will be trying a different hotel and can not recommend this one.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Angus M, Public Relations Manager at City Lodge Hotel Hatfield, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
We are glad that you found our hotel to be safe and clean but sorry you did not enjoy some aspects of your stay with us. Our wifi offering was recently upgraded to one hour complimentary access per day and will be upgraded again in the near future. Our mini-gym provides basic fitness equipment. We believe that our full buffet breakfast provides value when compared with other full buffet offerings. Room service is not part of our business model. We’re sorry that we could not meet all of your needs during your stay and thank you for your comments.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Sacramento
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

If you want to catch the Gautrain to OR Tambo or to Sandton, this hotel is a good place to stay. I must also mention that the staff welcomed me heartily and were extremely friendly. This area is also a hive of restaurants and student life.

Room Tip: Although the passing train is not a great disturbance, some travelers may find it an inconvenience...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Angus M, Public Relations Manager at City Lodge Hotel Hatfield, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
We thank you for the good review. We're happy that you found our staff welcoming and friendly. Further we're glad you enjoy the convenience of the location. We look forward to having you with us again.
Cape Town Central, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

Visited this hotel for one night during a trip for business to Pretoria. The hotel is well located in Hatfield. The hotel provides secure underground parking with the adjoining building. Check-in was efficient despite having to wait for the receptionist to attend telephonic requests from guests before being assisted (only one staff member on duty the evening and another guest waiting), but check-out was as fast and efficient as it gets. The rooms are well equipped and comfortable, and provide a lovely view of the city. The "room with a view" is rather interesting with an opening which looks onto the bathroom. A couple who travelled along with me had such room, and it was rather funny when their door, which covered the "view" was said to be jammed, providing them with little privacy in the toilet. This was more of a joke to them than something which warranted a complaint and room change however.

Hotel is within a short driving distance from the High Court other offices within the CBD. Enjoyed supper in the restaurant, which was enjoyable and the restaurant comfortable.

Would gladly stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Angus M, Public Relations Manager at City Lodge Hotel Hatfield, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
We thank you for the positive review. We're glad you found the rooms comfortable and enjoyed the convenience of the location. We will look into your issue regarding the view as we do with such matters. We look forward to having you stay with us again.
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

I have stayed in City lodge Hotel Hatfield from April 13 to 18, 2014, it is very clean with all required facility inside the rooms very comfortable bed, LCD TV, digital Safe box and the like, besides they have a very nice breakfast with amazing hospitality in the first flour restaurant.

they have very limited number of machines for the fitness center, but if you want a complete JIM service their is a Jim with a walking distance they have variety of packages for visitors but you have to pay for that.

Room Tip: To have a nice view of the city take a room in the 5th, or beyond floor and take your preference to...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Angus M, Public Relations Manager at City Lodge Hotel Hatfield, responded to this review, May 22, 2014
Thank you for the positive review. We're glad that you enjoyed our restaurant as well as the rooms. We have noted your issue with regards to the fitness center. We hope you stay with us again soon!
Richards Bay, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

I booked a non smoking room, instead I got a smokers room. There was a door in between my room and my neighbour. When he/she smoked, smoke filled my room, so I couldn't sleep because of that. Over all the place was beautiful.

Room Tip: Do not take any room on the 8th floor if you are a non-smoker. Seems like those are all smokers room...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Angus M, Public Relations Manager at City Lodge Hotel Hatfield, responded to this review, May 21, 2014
Thank you so much for the great review. We have noted your issue. We are glad you enjoyed the surroundings. We hope you stay with us again!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

I travel to Pretoria on a quarterly basis for work and this is a quaint, clean, well managed hotel. The staff are courteous, the breakfast is good and the gym and pool are adequate. The breakfast, while a little overpriced, is nice. I would recommend if you can get a good rate.

Room Tip: Make sure you request if you want a king or double bed. I was stuck with two singles, which isn'...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Angus M, Public Relations Manager at City Lodge Hotel Hatfield, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Thank you for the review. We're happy to hear that you found our staff to be friendly and enjoyed the breakfast. We will look into the issue you have raised about the windows. We can't wait to have you stay with us again soon.
Bonn
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

I'm a frequent traveller to Pretoria. I have been to the City Lodge before and had a hard time sleeping because of the noisy street and people shouting in front of the building. So when I checked out, I asked for a quiet room for next time. When making the reservation for that visit, I again asked for a quiet room. When checking in, I again asked for a quiet room.
What I got was a room facing a discotheque down the road that was pumping with noise even during the week. I had a to finally give in and use earplugs the first night, which led to what I had dreaded - not hearing my alarm clock the next morning, sleeping in and missing a meeting. The next evening I wanted to change rooms, but they told me they were completely booked and I couldn't move until the next morning. That night, the club pumped their music until after two, then came the drunkards who were shouting beneath the windows. I finally found sleep at 3:30h.
As if that hadn't been bad enough, when I talked to the manager the next day, all she could come up with was that she was sorry, it shouldn't have happened and she would "follow up on it". If it would make me feel better: They are in the process of suing that club (which only tells me that they are well aware of the problem!). When telling her that I wouldn't be coming back to this hotel, all she said was that they would surely try to give me a quiet room next time, although of course she couldn't guarantee anything. As for the trouble caused, she said they have my mail and she would "think of something".
That is two months ago now. I never ever received even a note of "we're sorry", let alone an email or an offer for recompensation.

If you want to sleep (which should be possible in a hotel, really!) or feel like your concerns are taking seriously, stay away from this hotel.

Room Tip: rather stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Been to City Lodge Hotel Hatfield? Share your experiences!